The size of my tackle box...

Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/15 19:45:52 (permalink)

The size of my tackle box...

Ya know, I've always thought I had an average sized tackle box, but when I compared it to the tackle boxes the professionals have, I began to fear that mine was actually smaller than average.  Even my friends all have bigger tackle boxes than I have. I know they've seen me looking at their tackle boxes, but they pretend not to. My one buddy has this giant, black tackle box that he carries around everywhere. It's a monster. He has to use two hands to carry it. Part of me wishes that my tackle box was that big, but a part of me is glad that it isn't. If I showed up at home with a tacklebox that big, my wife would faint!
I mean, don't get me wrong. I know how to use it. I know that tackle box like the back of my hand and anyone who has ever seen me use it has commented on how good I am with it. My wife says that my tackle box is HUGE and there's barely enough room for it in her garage. But ya know, she's never seen alot of tackle boxes so how does she know if it's big or not, right? Some times I just think she's lying, trying to make me feel better about having a small tackle box, ya know?

The way I see it, we're all duuds here (mostly) and all mature adults (mostly), so I should be able to ask an honest question. Sooooo, how big is average? How big is your tackle box? Does anyone know how to make my tackle box bigger without having to go out and get a whole new one? I don't want to get rid of mine completely. I've had it forever and I'm kinda attached to it.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Sincerely,
SLAB

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

17 Replies Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/15 21:16:28 (permalink)
    Wow. Everyone must me insecure about the size of their tackle boxes, just like me. It's ok guys. I know how you feel.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/15 22:27:27 (permalink)
    don't think it's how many you have, it's if you know how to use the ones you have and have confidence in them. Any way how many can you fish at once.
    Or you can be like me have about a dozen and I borrow the rest from my son, He has one of those tackle boxes or two.......maybe three.
    post edited by Catchabigone - 2012/09/15 22:30:06

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/15 22:38:09 (permalink)
    Thats what she said

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/16 19:50:31 (permalink)
    I don't have that problem, mine is just fine as it is. 
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/17 19:08:30 (permalink)
    SmMouthSeeker

I don't have that problem, mine is just fine as it is. 

That's cool. Would  you call it "average" or bigger? A buddy of mine has one so big that he has to carry it in front of him with two hands and it bangs off of his knees with every step he takes. That's a little too big, doncha think?

I'm not sure why I'm so worried about it though. I mean, if it's big enough to satisfy me, then that's all that should matter right?

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 10:56:30 (permalink)
    I think the key is every man has to be comfortable with the size of his own tackle box, and use what he has effectively and efficiently. I personally have two boxes separated with different Plano boxes for each species I specifically target, with what I would say is slightly above average amount of gear.

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 18:37:32 (permalink)
    So what you are saying is that it's not how much junk you got, it's how you wiggle your worm?

Chris Johnson 2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 18:40:56 (permalink)
    I've Plano trays/boxes of 3-4 different sizes and bags for them.  I have boxes for ski's/pike, lm bass, sm bass, carp/cat, walleye/perch, and a few general ones with tools and sheet.   All of my trout/steelhead gear is in vests, chest and back packs.  

A Musky buddy of mine has a few of these.  Talk about box envy.    

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 18:46:40 (permalink)
    Slab.....exactly...it's all in how you wiggle your worm or present your bait....hopefully these aren't issues for you ??? are they???

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 18:53:13 (permalink)
    TheBlueLagoon

Slab.....exactly...it's all in how you wiggle your worm or present your bait....hopefully these aren't issues for you ??? are they???

HAHAHAHA! It's about time this thread got funny! I've been waiting...

And no, it's not really a problem for me, it's just that it seems like the guys with the most junk get the most fish...

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 18:54:24 (permalink)
    Chris, I definately wouldn't go fishing with a guy carrying a tackle box that size. I'd feel too inadequate. Major junk envy there. Agreed. LOL
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 19:00:28 (permalink)
    slabdaddy

TheBlueLagoon

HAHAHAHA! It's about time this thread got funny! I've been waiting...

And no, it's not really a problem for me, it's just that it seems like the guys with the most junk get the most fish...

HAHA...in all honesty I've fished with my uncle alot growing up he has every lure known to man kind for every species it seemed. He had 2 of those so large and massive they bash off your knees tackle boxes .... (admittley I was jealous of his large/full boxes) because i wanted all those lures....but almost everytime I would out fish him with my smaller more efficient tackle box growing up. Firm believer it's not how much you have but the quality of what you have and the knowledge of how to use it.

But now that I'm a few years older i find myself trying to accumalate and develop a larger more eye friendly box.

Got Walleye???
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 19:11:49 (permalink)
    Efficient. I like that word. It helps me feel better about my "smaller" box. However, if my wife ever looks at my box and calls it "cute" I'm getting a bigger one...

Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 19:26:07 (permalink)
    I know what ya mean, but sometimes you need to work that double cowgirl, or get into a bulldawg situation.  Heck, even the steady rocking of a hellhound or hellpuppy is good for an attitude adjustment.

edit: woohooo found the old password!
    post edited by Chris Johnson - 2012/09/18 19:28:17

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 19:45:53 (permalink)
    Chris Johnson

I know what ya mean, but sometimes you need to work that double cowgirl, or get into a bulldawg situation.  Heck, even the steady rocking of a hellhound or hellpuppy is good for an attitude adjustment.

edit: woohooo found the old password!

I'm lost. I just told my wife that I wanted to try a double cowgirl and get into a bulldawg situation. She slapped me and stormed upstairs. She said that if I wanted a double cowgirl I had to get a divorce first! Jeez!

Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 20:07:03 (permalink)

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:The size of my tackle box... 2012/09/18 20:41:55 (permalink)
    Double tens? That sounds like an awful lot to handle...
    Jump to: