Colorado

Author
HardCore Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/01 01:57:59 (permalink)

Colorado

I'm leaving for Colorado the 10th for 2 weeks of vacation bow hunting elk and a little bit of fishing in the mix near steamboat springs, was wondering if anyone has any advice whether it be gear, tactics or anything in the mix, never been there and really looking forward to it

Ronnie

4 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re:Colorado 2012/09/01 07:49:49 (permalink)
    If you haven't already, start taking the pills for altitude sickness as it is the quickest way to ruin a mountain hunt. Go easy the first couple days for the same reason.
    Calling, setups, hunting methods are very similiar for elk as for spring gobbler.
    Good boots and many pair of fresh socks to keep the feet dry and healthy.
    It will probably be cold in the morning and quickly warm up into the 70's-80's during the day so be prepared to change clothes as the day wears on and take sunscreen.
    Don't drink the water.
    I'am jealous, have fun.

dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Colorado 2012/09/04 21:23:28 (permalink)
    I lived out there for a couple years. Expect the altitude to be a factor the first few days until you adjust. 
    If you get the chance, check out Oscar's Brew Pub and Have a Dale's Pale Ale. I heard they moved the brewery, but the bar is still right in Lyons I think. If your lucky you'll catch some good live music while you're there. Tuesday used to be open mic bluegrass night. Some of the best bluegrass musicians live in the area so it's usually pretty impressive.

P.S. Bring a fly rod, in case you get lucky early. 
    just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Colorado 2012/09/06 19:07:57 (permalink)
    i was out there 2 years ago fricken awesome! I am not sure but I think, dakota can correct me steamboat springs is low. but still higher than you may be used to. i was at 13500 and we did have some guys with altitude sickness. the weird thing is its hot here but when i went "same time " 2 years ago, it dropped into the 30's at night our dishrags were frozen when we got up. so.... my advice good boots good pack good gps. when you hike out in the am it will be cold by the end of the day you will be sweating your sak off. stay hydrated. guided or un guided ? pack a good knife MRE's are a good idea a good lenth of rope 100 foot, change of socks, save room as you strip off, good scent blocker, a good wind indicator, and a hoochie mama cow call. btw colo allows you to carry a handgun while archery hunting. just sayin

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    Re:Colorado 2012/09/24 02:17:16 (permalink)
    m
    post edited by HardCore Fisher - 2017/09/18 18:41:55
    Jump to: