For God's Sake, Dear...Just GO!

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/26 23:41:35 (permalink)

For God's Sake, Dear...Just GO!

Those were my wife's final words as I pulled out of the drive and headed to camp Friday.  The trials and tribulations of work had caught up to me weeks ago, and my typical cherub-like demeanor had become all but a fragile shell of its former self.  I needed a break.  I needed to wet a line in the worst of ways, and I was determined to get out of town for a couple of days. 

Then came "The Phone Call."

"I have to work tomorrow.  Would you be able to watch <name not important> for me?"

"Um..." Normally, I would just say "I'm sorry, but..." However, I've done the single parent thing before, and I know how hard it can be.

"Sure..."  Dammit. 

Started unpacking my gear when the wife came outside and asked, "What the hell are you doing?"  I explained the situation.  "Well, I'll be home I'll watch <the child>."

"Yeah, but you have things to do..."

Re-read the title of this post.  It was a mercy sitting.  She wanted me GONE!

Cooler temps.  Colder water.  Finally, the planets had aligned.

It wasn't my best showing, but I managed a few fish to hand.  A few pics...

This will be a challenge.  I walked a LONG way before finding fishable water in the first outing.  But I did manage a couple of rainbows.

This morning, I made my way to another stream...this one actually had decent flow and even cooler temps.  After several misses, a break-off, and multiple tree snags, I tied on a Bings Bugger and brought this guy in.

I called it a morning and made my way back to camp.  After some quick clean up, I was packed up and headed home...by way of the river.

I had no luck in landing any fish here, but I kept them honest.  Lots of takes; I just couldn't time the hookset right.  No matter.  It was Mission Accomplished as far as I was concerned.  Great weather, suitable temps, and an excellent weekend to decompress.  Already looking forward to next weekend

It wasn't all about fishing, either.  I saw my second bobcat in as many years today.  Neat creatures.  And I'm not sure if it's the same bird or not, but this nest atop our downspout has become a happenin' place for child rearing.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

1 Reply Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    • Reward points: 0
    Re:For God's Sake, Dear...Just GO! 2012/08/27 06:09:43 (permalink)
    "It was Mission Accomplished as far as I was concerned."

I "get it"....nice post.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Jump to: