Predator Calls - What's the Best?

Author
Presquisleanglr
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 185
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/23 17:22:19 (permalink)

Predator Calls - What's the Best?

A couple young enthusiasts (trainees) with their first coyote of the season. This particular coyote was called in with a mouth call and put down at thirty yards with a 22 mag. (Erie county)

Coyote hunting, one-on-one,  is without question the most challenging of all game hunting. If you believe you're an accomplished hunter and can collect big game at will, go get a coyote. A very humbling experience is headed your way. Not because coyotes ain't plentiful or just found in secluded areas either.
Hunted coyotes nation-wide and each state varies in tactics and fire power,Pa Ohio new York, heavy snow, 22 MAG 12 gauge will put coyotes down more often then not. Reason being coyotes will hunt rabbits the same as any hunter and your favorite bunny spot has just become a good place to call coyote. Big woods, a triple duce or better works fine. I use a 243 with the 45 grn. varmint express. Holds a good pattern up to 200 yards and I have a couple sitting around,you don't need any thing special just  gun with what you shoot good with.
Calling coyotes is allot easier than most hunters are lead to believe, in fact plenty of spring turkey hunters will incidentally call a coyote in.
What call works the best? We've used them all and no particular mouth call stands out from the rest. Stay away from the electronic calls. I have every one ever made and it comes down to evolution of ones skills.
This will be hard to swallow for most but many avid predator hunters go to the dollar store pick up a couple squeaky toys for a buck fifty and head out.  I'm not bashing any store-bought predator call, its just evolution, in the years of hunting bobcats, fox, coyotes Ive came to know a squeaker from a pets toy is one of the best calls a predator hunter can use.

No special or expensive gear needed, dollar store, squeaky toy, $1.50 big lots white sweat pants and white hooded sweat shirt,$10.00 Hunting license and a good hunting partner, this is quite possibly the hardest thing to come by.

Recent down south cat action, called in with a squeaker pried out of a plastic dog bone,

25 Replies Related Threads

TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 17:34:38 (permalink)
    is that a bobcat? where you get it?
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 21:30:29 (permalink)
    those sons a biches!!!!!!!!!!!  thats my dog Fluffy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice kill guys. I agree with the electonic call sucks therory. Use the squeakers they work!!!!!!!!! Havent gone coyote hunting in a long time, ready to get back in the swing. I got a toy for dogs that rolls around all crazy and has a big bushy squirrel lookin tail on it. Ive been wantin to use it for a decoy.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 21:48:36 (permalink)
    What do you do with the dogs you kill????

..and why did you post that on a fishing thread????
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/12/23 21:49:52

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 22:07:35 (permalink)
    i use a mouth coyote howler and a old rubber ducky thing that i painted black, made a decoy out of a rabbit skin and some toy my little brother let me use that shakes and flings the rabbit skin once i attatched it (call me macgyver)...i have one of the johnny stewart things, its garbage....the volume screws up when it gets too cold...shot 12 of those dumb things last year....ill probly go out a few times this year to see if i can call some more coyotes in but i dont know if i will have time...
    post edited by cp13 - 2007/12/23 22:31:15
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 22:19:19 (permalink)
    13, if you don't have alot of time you can go to a local SPCA....they have them in cages, its a pretty easy shot and your feet don't get cold.

Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 22:44:59 (permalink)
    tippy toe,

I expected you to come with some off the wall sh**. Just made a couple nice hats a good set of mitts. hoping to bag a couple for some moccasins.

It's OK for you and your good Buddy's to post every thing from spooks in your closet to who's afraid of the booger man. but when its not a good Buddy you talk crap. There is a group that has turned this board into a mockery of any thing that resembles the out doors hunting fishing sportsman ship.
    I can just see T.T. now WHATS YOUR MOTIVE I QUESTIONED IT BEFORE AND I"LL DO IT AGAIN.
    Whats you point tippy toe?
    Merry Christmas and God bless
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 22:50:07 (permalink)
    cp13

Do not turn into one of sleazes of this board. Your trying too hard, just be your self and stop the crap, I know too many of your friends and no way in the hot place you killed any yotes last year.
    You are just not that good period.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 22:55:07 (permalink)
    My point is that you should have posted it on the hunting thread.

The question about what you do with them was not sarcasm.  The last time I talked to a "coyote hunter" it was in New Hampshire, and my buddy ask him "what do you do with them"?... and the guy said, "kill em".

Thats what they did...they just shot them took pics with them and then dumped them at the trash dump.....and I thought that was despicable.

So now ...since I'm talking crap..I'll ask you, whats your motive???

cp13
    Expert Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 23:06:08 (permalink)
    what are you talking about presqueisleangler?? shooting 12 coyotes in a whole year is NOT hard to accomplish...
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 23:08:37 (permalink)
    Wow, thats alot of hats and mittens, and you probably have enough meat for a couple of years right ???

cp13
    Expert Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/23 23:12:02 (permalink)
    No i sold fur last year...I dont have the resources to tan anything,and ive never heard of ANYONE eating any canines...
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 02:38:42 (permalink)
    that guy that does the coyote huntin seminar says he kills an average of 200 per year. I forget his name, he did a show for maurers trading post 5-10 yrs ago. Anyone know who im talkin bout? Regardless, was a very educational seminar. What do you do with dead coyotes?........You use them to bait in more coyotes. How big was that yote in the pic, 40-50lbs?
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 09:57:42 (permalink)
    There good to eat if prepaired right. If you don,t know how find a VietNamese, they will tell ya how.lol

kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 10:09:18 (permalink)
    nightowl, I think you're talking about Tom Bechtel.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 10:26:06 (permalink)
    What do you do with the dogs you kill????

GeneralTso's

As for...
    " I can just see T.T. now WHATS YOUR MOTIVE I QUESTIONED IT BEFORE AND I"LL DO IT AGAIN."

Yup!  I question everybody's motives.  Yes, I'll do it again. 

I've got nothing to say about this topic, other than it should be on the hunting boards not the fishing boards, duh.

Merry Christmas, Andrew.
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 11:07:37 (permalink)
    ive never seen a yote past 44lbs, most in waterford (pretty close to erie) are 35-40lbs...The ones in NY (Findley lake area) are a little bigger usually..
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 11:08:24 (permalink)
    I guess I was raised in a different area. When we see a coyote down here its a treat, I guess when you guys see one its a pest. I would just hate to see them eradicated like they were down here thats all......

Shooting 200 a year seems excessive and just flat out stupid.

cp13
    Expert Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 11:41:58 (permalink)
    i would guess that guy goes all over to shoot them though, i doubt you could even shoot 30 out of one area....and no doubt that guy probably sold fur and made some cash doing it....do the math

a well put-up coyote brought around 15-30 last year at epler....

say if they were all prime (highly doubt it though) and with minor fur damage from the shot could bring around 3500-3900...nice amount of money but its not easy work...

no telling how many of the yotes he shot had mange, it depends on his areas...
    post edited by cp13 - 2007/12/24 11:58:40
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 11:47:31 (permalink)
    I have had good luck with a call called the compensator.  Sounds exactly like a crying baby so when your not in the woods you can annoy the crap out of people if you feel like it.  have to agree on the electronics, better off to take a few minutes and learn how to call for yourself.  At a basic level its not all that hard.

If anyone has any good recipies for the meat let me know...I've never been able to stomach it.  I dont waste it though, my dogs enjoy it very much. 

As for coyotes being dumb, youd be surprised.  It may seem like that when one comes blindly charging in at your first call but lets see what happens after hunting the same area a time or two.  You may think youve shot them all but youre wrong.  If there is even the slightest amount of pressure put on them they get smart quick.  Or rather the few dumb ones get shot.

(and next time try putting a hunting question on a hunting board)
    CR500
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 12:07:18 (permalink)
    I like this thread here.  I don't hunt or even own a gun so I like the read.  There is something to learn here an it sure beats some of the usual crap that passes for a post many times.
    kevinupp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 606
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 12:14:05 (permalink)
    Tippy, They're highly prolific breeders and even more higly adaptable. Once you get them in an area they're extremely hard to eradicate.

They'll eat darn near anything.

They're pretty indiscriminate on what they'll kill. Little fluffy on a chain is like going to a buffet. Do I want poodle today? Or do I want pomeranian? Or even better yet do I want tabby cat?

You can kill a whole family group in an area and the next year you'll have a new one move in.

Coyotes are fun to hunt.

You go into an area that's never been hunted before and it's fairly easy pickings.

Go into an area that the yodel dogs have been shot at and they become really frustrating to hunt.

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
    fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1670
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/24 12:41:58 (permalink)
     DON"T KILL MY CUZ'S...............LOL
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/25 03:55:16 (permalink)
    the guy that i seen at the seminar, thats all he does all year round for a living. hes hired by farmers, landowners, and such, to go in and thin them out. Then he does the seminars for cash too. and i imagine he turns the hides in to get rid of waste. He looked like he was makin a good living. Kevinupp, Tom Bechtel doesnt ring a bell, but it very well could have been him. Im not good with rememberin names.

Merry Chrismas All..... Im up playin santa clause right now

Motor gently on all your travels tomorrow!!!!!!!!! We dont need a new post on fisherie asking how to get a ford bronco bumper out of their ****

post edited by nightowl207 - 2007/12/25 03:57:35
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2007/12/25 21:28:04 (permalink)
    Best Call !! Here it is. Get a pair of good leather work gloves a rabbit from the pet store and squeeze away. . Just kidding around guys, dont go calling PETA !!  I never predator hunted, but find it interesting, might give it a try this winter. Got a family farm with lots of foxes and yotes on it. See there scat all the time.
    Pheasant Hunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Predator Calls - What's the Best? 2008/01/10 21:33:42 (permalink)
    Nice 'yote and cat. My son shot a coyote in 2006, in deer season, and I sent it in to USA Foxx & Fur. They did a really nice job tanning it. Looks beautiful on the wall. Makes me want to get out after them this weekend.

Visit my website, featuring outdoors and recreation in Warren County, Pennsylvania: http://warrenpa.ws
    Jump to: