Difference Between Carbon and Aluminum BOLTS?

Author
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2130
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/04 08:12:56 (permalink)

Difference Between Carbon and Aluminum BOLTS?

Can anyone here tell me the difference between a carbon and an aluminum Bolt? Not arrow. I know what I was told by the fella who sold them to me, but I just want to get a little more input. Thanx in advance.

BH

5 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re:Difference Between Carbon and Aluminum BOLTS? 2012/08/05 10:08:25 (permalink)
    I shoot both out of all of my crossbows. For hunting, I have no real preference. The technology these days has high quality shafts common among all materials. For target shooting and 3D, I much aluminum as they are easier to pull from targets.  As for durabillty, I would give to edge to carbon. But, after shooting for some time, spin test your aluminums and flex your carbons looking for splinters.

This year I am shooting both carbon and aluminum in one arrow. The Easton Full Metal Jacket crossbow arrow. Carbon core surrounded by aluminum.

My rifle is a black rifle
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    Re:Difference Between Carbon and Aluminum BOLTS? 2012/08/05 16:02:05 (permalink)
    not sure about for the xbow, but out of my bow being sighted in with aluminum the carbons shot about 5" higher. the carbon are much faster for me.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re:Difference Between Carbon and Aluminum BOLTS? 2012/08/05 17:45:17 (permalink)
    Thanx for the input. I got to shoot my carbons for the 1st time yesterday. They are shooting higher as well and seem to thud the target a bit harder.

BH
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    Re:Difference Between Carbon and Aluminum BOLTS? 2012/08/05 19:59:45 (permalink)
    If your arrows are shooting higher its most likely due to the weight difference between the arrows. Carbon is much stronger than aluminum, generally a aluminum arrow can and will bend everntually giving you untrue flight. Carbons are junk when there broke or cracked, pricier but worth it imo. Carbon and aluminums both will be made in different weights (grains per inch)

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Difference Between Carbon and Aluminum BOLTS? 2012/08/17 20:50:50 (permalink)
    i dont shoot cross bow so i cant say for sure, but i shoot carbon arrows out of my bow they seem to have tighter tolerances on runout. as Krott243 said you have to look at the weight, overall if your shooting the same tip with a lighter arrow your going to shoot higher. typically if your carbon arrow is damaged you can see it cuz it shattered were as an aluminum arrow will get bends in it. both shoot fine when using good equipment, that being said some arrows just dont ever shoot right. it could be because someone didnt align the fletchings up right with the spine. if your shooting 3 out of 4 arrows in a good group number your arrows and chances are old #4 is the one always off. i dont know what kind of accuracy your looking to get but i always say my equipment can out shoot me any day of the week so never rule out O.E. and again not sure about crossbows but on a regular bow everything you do affects the arrows flight, quivers stabilizers kisser button, so its simple just get everything the exact same every time and your good
    Jump to: