Deer Processing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Deer Processing 2007/12/29 18:09:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: hunting101

Hi, I'm new here. And to hunting. And to proccessing. Well, quite inexperienced all the way around as far as hunting in general. I did harvest my first deer this year. I tried a couple of years ago with a shotgun. Unsuccesful. However, this year I attempted with archey. Day 1 = Deer 1. I did have a friend with me that harvested a few himself in the past. So field dressing the first one wasn't so hard. I'm going out tomorrow, by myself. If I am blessed enough once again I'm sure it won't be quite as easy this time around. But I hope I'm wrong. I did butcher the first one with the help of another friend. Though time consuming, not too difficult. My wife and I think quite a bit alike. So utilizing every part of the deer was quite successful also. This included making and canning stock from the bones (spine, legs, ribs, and joints) after which we were able to remove all other pieces of hard to get meat. This actually made for very good BBQ, homemade sauce of course. Like I said her & I think alike. I decided to do this after asking around and finding out that to have a deer processed in my area ranged in price from $80 to upwards of over $200. Now I know this all depends on what you want to have done with the meat but come on. Plus like I read in earlier postings there was never a guarentee as to what or who's deer you might recieve in return. Now I know I said there was a friend helping with hunting and a friend that helped with the butchering, I still was completely clueless. The hunting part is something I can study up on, but until I actually went out in the field and start hunting I just simply didn't have a clue. The same went with butchering. I wasn't raised to hunt or butcher. By the time my father started hunting we had no relationship to speek of (problems from earlier on in life). Our realtionship started to mend over a couple of years (2003- early 2005). Just in time for him to pass away. Never got a chance to hunt with him. I don't say that for sympathy. I just hope anyone reading this will take their family out as often as possible. In the past year I have managed to get my 9 now 10 year old son through a hunter's safety course and liscensed. I was able to get my wife out deer hunting this year (handgun). I was also able to take my son squirell hunting a couple of times. Neither my wife or son were succesful this year. However, that hasn't stopped them both from wanting go back out next year. I have purchased a 20ga. shotgun for my son and a Ruger .454 casull handgun for my wife. You would just have to understand her. That's one reason why I love her. Anyway any help, advice, tips, etc. that can be thrown my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone reading, Ryan

GREAT POST!!!

My advice is to read EVERYTHING you can get your eyes onto, and then re-read it all.  I rotate my old Field & Streams and Outdoor Life in with the new issues throughout the year.  When it comes time for scouting, or just hiking, I try new things, notice different things, and learn something new each and every time.  Now that you're into it, it'll only get better.  When you stop learning is when you die.  Before that happens, pass on what you can.  Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Congrats and good luck in the future.
hunting101
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Deer Processing 2007/12/31 10:38:20 (permalink)
Crappiefisher,

Well no deer this trip. Instead, I took my son squirrel hunting instead. Got 1, oh well! The important part was he had a blast. That's what I care more about. About the glands, I don't remember this part being mentioned with my first deer. However, in the proccessing af the meat I don't remember seeing anything like mushrooms. Like I said, the people helping me had done this quite a few times before, so they probably got cut out without being mentioned or I just don't remember them mentioning anything about this part as there was alot to absorb. What do the glands do, what do they look like, how are they removed, and what happens if I miss removing them? Alot of questions! I understand removing the membrane, but why the fat exactly? Especially from the meat for burger? Won't the fat add flavor to the burger and help keep it a little more moist? Also, what do you mean by seaming the meat? Does that mean removing the muscle groups from each other where they meet? Like I said many questions. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks more than I can ever say.

PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals
hunting101
New Angler
RE: Deer Processing 2007/12/31 11:00:59 (permalink)
T.T.,

I'm staring to drive my wife nuts with all of the magazines and hunting shows. I think she realizes the importance though, so she doesn't fuss too much. I like most of the hunting shows. Especially Jim Shockey and Roger Raglin. Though they don't alway have a tendency to focus on deer hunting I still enjoy them. For the deer I like watching any of the shows from guys from around the midwest (IL, IA, etc.). I live in Illinois. We have many deer, many elusive deer. As far as magazines, I read Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Illinois Hunter, and just about anything else I can get my hands on. My mother works for a hospital here so she is forever bringing over hunting, shooting , and fishing magazines. Never a shortage in that department. I am lacking in the scouting however. Is there a specific time of year this should be done? I will make a concerted effort this year to get as often as possible. One problem that I run into alot here is that I hunt public land. So when the firearm season rolls around the deer don't keep any normal daytime patterns. But there is still much that can be learned these situations. It's pretty hard to find anyone willing to let you hunt there private land. I guess too much liability involved. I don't give up on asking though. If I can gain access to some private land that would be like finding a gold mine. The pressure on the public land in insane. Opening morning sounds like a war zone. My main focus is hunting for meat. But, if a good buck walks by, tag permitting, I will eat the meat and have the have the head mounted. Thanks for all the advice and anymore that can be shot at me.

doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Deer Processing 2007/12/31 11:07:36 (permalink)
deer fat doesn't give the meat a good flavor. it also gives off a sour odor when cooking for some. also the deer fat leaves a waxy taste when it cools.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

hunting101
New Angler
RE: Deer Processing 2007/12/31 11:28:08 (permalink)
doubletaper,

Thanks for the advice. The deer fat will be removed!

Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Deer Processing 2008/01/02 09:10:07 (permalink)
Nice post man. When the work begins you can truely figure who your real friends are. Many will hunt with you but the ones whom stick around for the work you can bet they will be there the next time you need them. Removing the fat , tendons is the bear of butch'n but the more you do em the quicker you get. Good luck out there.DC
Pheasant Hunter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Deer Processing 2008/01/10 21:59:32 (permalink)
The "fish" are inside the body cavity, on either side of the spine, starting at the back of the rib cage and ending at the front of the hind quarters.
... and I always cut up my own deer. I took one to a processor, years ago, and swore it would never happen again. I got 1/2 the meat, and it had hair all through it. (No butterflies, either, even though it had been a heart shot and never touched the spine, shoulders, or front legs.) I do take the meat to be ground to a processor, and I watch while he grinds it.

Visit my website, featuring outdoors and recreation in Warren County, Pennsylvania: http://warrenpa.ws
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: