outboard compression

Author
bar2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/23 21:18:27 (permalink)

outboard compression

I have a 150hp mariner magnum 3 the compression on all 6 cylinders is between 108-112. Is this alright bc the last time I was out it wasn't running right and was very bogged down. I felt like I had no power. Some insight is appreciated.

12 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/23 23:21:54 (permalink)
    Seems a little low, but at least they're all pretty close to the same reading. I would try running something to clean the carbon out of it, that should raise the compression some too. Could also be a carboned up exhaust tube.

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    greenhead55
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/24 07:34:05 (permalink)
    We sprayed some PB Tune Up in the cylinders and a decent amount of carbon washed out of the bottom when we ran it with the muffs.  The motor is a '92 but very lightly used before Bar2 purchased it.  We were having trouble getting much power out of it last trip to Erie.  On our last trip in getting on plane was impossible.  The carbs were just cleaned my a mechanic and we are going to change the fuel filters.  All plugs were also changed.  Any other ideas?  We are hoping that it doesn't need a rebuild and its something simple.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/24 09:06:43 (permalink)
    IMO the compression may be a little low, but every motor is different. It could very well be in the correct range for that motor.  So anyones guess is mearly speculation.

Your best bet is to buy the maintance manual its like $30 and it will you get the specs on everything for that motor. Very well worth the money.

If the motor is running but running poorly i would not jump to compression as the smokeing gun. Start with the basic things first, check the plugs, spark, and fuel, possibly fuel line (the fuel line could be rotting inside and havin flakes or flaps blocking the line starving the motor of fuel) or fuel pump. You might be running the motor on 3,4,5 cylinders. All very easy to check.

Just because the plugs are new does not mean they are good, back in the day getting a plug that grounds out internally was rare, but any more it is very common (i see a few each year)

Thats where I would start. I ran a motor similiar to your it was an old merc tower of power middle 1980s that I learned alot from. If you need some help feel free to PM with questions
    post edited by anzomcik - 2012/05/24 09:11:18
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/24 12:37:10 (permalink)
    Check out the Merc/Mariner forums on marineengine.com.  They were very helpful when working on my 15hp Johnson.  
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/24 14:32:58 (permalink)
    www.marineengine.com is a great resource, you will be able to find out the specs for your motor there as well.

We had the same issue with a Merc Classic 50 and after spending much cash on chasing things that "professional" mechanics did, I started to tear it down myself and found the exhaust tube nearly plugged with oily carbon build up. The fix cost almost nothing. Since that time I have done all of my own work on our collection of boats. Really wish a good marine mechanic was easy to find...

bar2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/24 18:47:18 (permalink)
    We changed the plugs, cleaned cylinders, changed fuel filters, cleaned carbs, and tested compression which was all right near 110. The motor seems to be running very clean now however took it on a test run and had a very time getting on plane. After getting on plane the top speed was 39like mph. If the wind was blowing at us our hole shot couldn't get on plane. The rpm's were running at 4000. The motor has a mercury high five prop. Do you guys think maybe the prop is too much for this motor? Thanks again guys!!!!
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/24 22:07:35 (permalink)
    Find out the rec range for WOT. That seems like you have a to agressive prop on that motor.

What you describe about how it is acting fits an issue with the prop.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/24 23:55:55 (permalink)
    Is this a new motor to your boat or have you been running it for a few years?

greenhead55
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/25 11:17:21 (permalink)
    The boat/motor was purchased last year but it is spotless. We were told that the owner had health issues so never really used it. When we cleaned the cylinders we did have alot of carbon come out of the exhaust. Now when ran through we get no black at all.

How do we find which prop that motor should be using?

Also since we were cleaning that motor we were changing plugs on 9.9 kicker. We have the manual but it doesn't say what gap to set the plugs at. What should we set them at?

Thanks guys!!!
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/25 11:38:53 (permalink)
    I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of these guys with prop selection...they may be able to tell you which one you need, I can't.

BUT, here's a couple calculators I'd saved that may get you close if you know some of your variables...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/marinepropcalc.html
    http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/25 12:05:10 (permalink)
    First find out your WOT range. Very important.

The high five prop really thows a wrench in the puzzle right now (because the SS and having 5 blades).
    Do some looking online at different forums Iboats has a good one, do a search for your motor in thr prop section, keep grinding the search function. You will piece together about what you should expect from the motor, and a good starting point for props.

If your motor starts and runs smooth, then I would stop trying to fix what isnt broken. Also I wouldnt get to hung up on how clean your motor is from carbon internally. In some cases that would be an issue, but under normal everyday conditions is doesnt hurt anything.  

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    Re:outboard compression 2012/05/25 12:29:59 (permalink)
    That changes lots of things, since you don't know what the performance was like before. There are some knowledgeable prop guys on here, I would suggest starting a new thread with propping question.

Anz, carbon is one of the problems that sneaks up of folks, mainly because everyone thinks that way. I spent years fixing and modifying two and four stroke engines and learned early on to check carbon build up. Not only can it restrict flow, but it can bind rings lowering the compression. I agree that it's probably not his problem in this case though.

Jump to: