Need a new line

Author
Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
  • Reward points: 0
2012/05/23 18:27:15 (permalink)

Need a new line

Was in Erie from Friday till Monday and prior to the trip I spooled some 8lb P-Line Fluro Clear and I never really had break off issues with it aside from a few month old line that I beat up in the river...  Now needless to say there are about 5-6 nice healthy smallmouths with #2 Circle Hooks broken off in their lips...  I haven't had a junk batch of line and this was horrible you could break it bare handed...  I'm currently looking for alternatives, trying to stay under the $12 per spool (Yo-Zuri price) I was highly considering switching all to braid...  I went over the line after roughly every other cast and or after every catch and had no rough spots or frays or anything... It's pretty bad when you can break #8 line by hand w/o much force...    Does anyone have any suggestions to what to try to use?  I have also called P-Line and was told to unspool my reels and send it back to them and they will replace the 2 spools worth of line but I still am not convinced... I just feel the quality of the product isn't there...

17 Replies Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/23 19:50:38 (permalink)
    I know that many people will laugh or ridicule me for this, but I use nothing but Trilene XT (Extra Tough) in 4# test on any of my rods now. I used to use Trilene XL 6#, but it had too much stretch. I watched my buddy snag a 4ft chunk of waterlogged tree trunk, probably 5 inches in diameter and haul it up to the boat with a 5ft berkley lightning rod. I was impressed. He told me that it was 4lb XT. I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad that I did. With the smaller diameter line I could cast further, had less visibility, and could spool more line. If anything, it seems stronger than the 6# XL. I'm primarily targeting panfish, but I've caught several 4-6lb largemouths and many big cats on this line. The one cat was 31" and weighed 14.2lb. I don't see the sense in spending $12 on a spool of line. It's just not worth it. If you are fishing primarily for smallies, you don't need flouro. I've never needed to hide the line from them. Try 6# XT. I would think that 8# would be overkill. Just my opinion.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/23 20:01:40 (permalink)
    I use Maxima Chameleon on all my rods except the carp rods (@$8-12 a spool) the 6lb is a good all round line. Nice dark color matches well with black reels, holds up well against rocks, brush, and large fish, plus I can blast the stuff off the reel. Though never try to load it DRY or it will be a nightmare, gotta soak it in water for 12-24 hours then load it using a damp cloth under some tension to tame it.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/23 21:09:54 (permalink)
    CF, I know what you're saying. I have never really needed that extra sensitivity either. Eyes & smallies aren't real shy about hitting the bait. I use Berkely Vanish Flouro for Steelies in the tribs, but other than that, it's XT. I ran nothing but XL for years. It really is a great line for smallies and 'eyes. I just went to XT mostly because I could drop down to 4lb test and have the same strength as 6lb XL. It casts just as far (or farther) than 6lb XL but is harder to see, which makes it a little better for pullin slabs outta clear water or giving that extra bit of action to a 1/64 oz jig. In fact, I just bought 3 spools (330ys) of #6 XL at Walmart for $2 a spool. I just couldn't pass it up for that price! LOL! They are both excellent lines, but if you are looking for  some longer casts with less visibility without sacrificing strength, try 4# XT.
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/23 21:33:40 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem with Sunline mono.  The first couple of trips I took with it (4# for crappie), I loved the stuff.  It casted great, low memory, low visibility etc...The only downside to it initially was it had fairly poor abrasion resistance.  It broke a few times where the balsa bobber rubbed the line.  But after a couple of weeks (stored inside) I could snap it easily with two fingers.  Back to Cajun red 4# for me.  Great castability, lower vis., pretty tough, inexpensive, but it has a ton of stretch. 
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/23 22:42:51 (permalink)
    I like the castability, strength, and knot tying with Yo-Zuri Hybrid but, mostly i've been fishing the Allegheny River near a lock and dam and the ACoE outflows (Loyalhanna, Conemaugh, Crooked Creek, Yough, Mahoning) then we travel to Pymie and Erie atleast 5-10 times a year combined and i'm just looking for a bit better tougher line for the applications I fish...  Now when fishing streams and lakes i'll have some 6 or 8lb Yo-Zuri but i'm just fed up with P-Line when I first tried it 5-6 years ago I liked it the sensitivity was there, the strength was there and what not, but now there is no reason line should snap 3-5" from a knot... I could see if my knots weren't tied properly but that isn't the problem...  I think i'm gonna just grab some Triline and see how it goes for the river etc, I also have some 30lb Cajun Red (braid) which I love I have 40/50lb on my big river rods have no issues at all with it... Would anyone suggest using braid for splitshot applications?  Because that's normally how I fish the river for eyes and smallies...  As for Erie I mostly throw shiners on splitshot rig or stick baits...
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/23 23:16:41 (permalink)
    8 pound blue stren is beast! i think i always use a trilene knot ... i dunno i just know how to tie it :)

the old man uses trilene xt... we both grumble back and forth about what to buy but both seem just fine
    post edited by wade alexander - 2012/05/23 23:18:33
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/24 07:39:49 (permalink)
    I had a bad batch of 8# Fluro-clear once.  No problems with the 6# or 10#.  After that, I switched up to Halo.  I LOVED the Halo, bit the wife didn't, so I spooled her rods with Berkley Sensation.  It's a really nice line.  casts well, not much memory.  all in all, very manageable.

Last year, I experimented with Power-Pro.  Now all of our spinning rods have that and I leader with 6# and 8# Halo.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/24 09:08:20 (permalink)
    I use either 8 or 20 lb braid for all my non flathead river fishing. Just tie on a 2-3ft flouro leader w either a uni splice or swivel and you're good to go. The only non braided line I've purchased in the last 3 yrs, is seguar invisx, love that stuff
    chrisk
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/24 10:18:24 (permalink)
    FishinGuy

I use either 8 or 20 lb braid for all my non flathead river fishing. Just tie on a 2-3ft flouro leader w either a uni splice or swivel and you're good to go. The only non braided line I've purchased in the last 3 yrs, is seguar invisx, love that stuff

Seaguar is hands down the best line out there for flouro. They did invent flourocarbon and do it the best. I will fish nothing else for smallies and steelies. It casts a mile, lower diameter than anything else and I absolutely get more hookups using it than mono in clear water. Well worth the extra couple bucks.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/24 18:47:47 (permalink)
    I usually tie a Polimar knot with a double or triple box I tie everything with that... Braid, Mono, Fluro, Copoly...  Never had a failure yet...  I'm hoping it was just a bad batch and the 2 spools I get for free are much better, I have 4lb Halo and yes... I loved it I got it when it first came out and was so happy with the purchase...  I have been taking all the suggestions into consideration... Has anyone used the Suffix Red box with the G2 winding etc?  It got a great review on Tackletour...
    bigesox11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/25 09:31:18 (permalink)
    I switched almost entirely to braid about 8 years ago, but still enjoy using mono on some of my rods.  With braid you have the added security of a heavier line (that may even be less diameter than the mono that you are currently using), it lasts longer, does not seem to tangle or twist as much as mono, and you will also lose less lures and tackle due to its strength.  And of course you also have the added sensitivity, but most importantly the ability for improved long distance hook sets.  You can always use a flouro or mono leader.
    bigesox11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/25 09:33:06 (permalink)
    Oh yeah... I love PowerPro, and use Stren Braid also.  I don't like Fireline or Spiderline.  Can't go wrong with Stren and Trilene for mono.
    leolizard
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/25 22:59:53 (permalink)
    I started using 6lb. nanofil in Feburary and love it. Just make sure you use a fluro leader. No problems with knot strength or unusualy breakoffs. Runs at about $18.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/26 11:18:28 (permalink)
    chrisk

FishinGuy

Seaguar is hands down the best line out there for flouro. They did invent flourocarbon and do it the best. I will fish nothing else for smallies and steelies. It casts a mile, lower diameter than anything else and I absolutely get more hookups using it than mono in clear water. Well worth the extra couple bucks.

+1  Here , Seaguar Invizx Flouro in 4# or 6# is all I ever use for most all fish I fish for. Unless Im going for Bass in thick cover then I use 12 - 15 # Seaguar.  All of this is just leader material tied to 12 - 15 lb Power Pro Braid with an improved Albright knot. I never have a problem with the knot or the seaguar leader.  Until this fails me repeatedly I will not change what and how I use it.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/27 13:14:31 (permalink)
    I'm using 10# Triline now and haven't had any issues yet and I caught atleast 8 or 10 river smallies yesterday night only breaks were on heavy snags...  As I said prior I was a fan of the P-Line Fluroclear but after losing 5 large Erie smallmouths in open water not by the knot breaking I'm kind of upset with it...  The spools get shipped back this week and I'll receive 2 new ones but I'm pretty sure I'm done with it...  Just need to find 600yrd spools of Yo-Zuri Hybrid in Green online now...
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/29 15:01:53 (permalink)
    i gave up on the floroclear years ago after several "bad batches"
    it really messes with you when you tie a knot in 10 lb test and it breaks off as you pull the knot tight
    since then i have been using cortland camo mono when i can get it and if not, i use either the stren or the bass pro brand tourney tough (but only because i get it cheap)

flyingmoles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re:Need a new line 2012/05/29 16:53:09 (permalink)
    i only use sufix now. braid on some, mono on others. never any problems with either. even with the mono, i only have to change my line once every 2 years. on my little fish rig, i use 8lb sufix mono. it's been on there for 3 years. still no problems.
    Jump to: