bay smallmouth activity

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Shake n Bake
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 141
  • Reward points: 0
Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/22 22:56:13 (permalink)
That's a nice bass there
MisterZ
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 00:02:38 (permalink)
Good to see so many posting their results. Thanks guys it's very helpful. Sounds like we had similar results numbers wise.

We rent a boat yesterday and today. Headed right out to main lake in the 14ft. aluminum yesterday. It was basically flat, with little wind. Almost too little wind most of the day. We went as far as the cribs but never too far off shore. Caught close to 50 on the day, with 40 smallies. Mostly jerk baits on the main lake. Nothing over 2 pounds I don't think, maybe a few just over 2. Not sure where those big 3-5s are?! I should have headed out to find deep water, but I only have a Navionics App no depth finder. Headed into the Bay early evening and caught some more. Had a ton of 1-2# smallies chasing spinner baits, but many wouldn't bite.

Today was tougher condition-wise. Spent 2 hours in the Bay, we only had 3 fish to show. Tons of boats stacked up around us, but not much activity at that point. So we hit the main lake again. Only 1ft. or less, it was very comfortable for a while. Got about a dozen each fishing plastics. No jerk bait bass, but one big hybrid or white bass on the jerk - we got a lot of these little guys, anyone know what they are for sure?

Even grabbed a nice 11" perch in 8' of water. Felt like we were getting a lot of perch type bites.

Headed back into the Bay around 2 and it was MUCH rougher than the main lake; 1-2 ft. waves with high wind and deep swells - could barely stand on the boat! Maybe we should have stayed on the main lake. But we caught another 8 or so apiece, including some 2-2.5s on spinner baits. So maybe around 40 total on the day. Not bad, but not like the Erie I remember in the late 90s! Still had a great time, so much better than about 10-12 days ago when I was up.

So how long until those big females get their post spawn feed on? How long will they stay in the Bay if they did just finish spawning a week ago? Should I just stick to main lake (if it's safe) when I go back in 2 weeks? I appreciate any advice!

Zeeebassman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 08:45:17 (permalink)
Hey Z, I was out there with ya, in that 18ft silver bass boat., The spot I went directly to yesterday is where I murdered them on sunday. I couldn't get one there yesterday though. I worked closer and further east and I found them bout 10 fow. And then the White Bass moved in (fish in ur pic) . Got bout 40 of them before I went in. I was a little worried bout u guys in that lil boat. 
BTW all fish came on a 3in. white grub 1/4oz head.
post edited by Zeeebassman - 2012/05/23 08:46:54
jamesat
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 08:47:39 (permalink)
That's a White Bass.

MisterZ
Avid Angler
Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 14:44:40 (permalink)
Zeeebassman
Hey Z, I was out there with ya, in that 18ft silver bass boat., The spot I went directly to yesterday is where I murdered them on sunday.

That's cool I wish I had known it was another Fish Erie member I would have come over and said hello. Sending you a direct PM got a few questions for ya. Hope we didn't bother you too much by drifting too close or flying in and out to get back to deeper water. No trolling motor and the anchor rope was a tangled mess so we had no choice but to keep drifting and returning to that depth. Pretty sure you were the boat that helped find the ideal depth though.

Anyway, so white bass. Maybe that's a lot of the little bites we were getting that we just couldn't hook. I fished that area a dozen times and never caught one until this trip. And yeah that boat's a little uncomfortable even in PIB some days. I had the 17' Triumph but it seems to handle waves worse than that 14' deep v. Maybe I'm just too inexperienced to know how to best handle it. But the day rental on the Triumph including gas was about $300. The 14' was only $100. Sooner or later I'll buy something.
Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: RE: bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 18:42:04 (permalink)
Over 40 bass (20-25 large mouth and the rest smallies) in a 3.5 day stay in Erie this weekend... Caught my first Erie smallie on Saturday in the afternoon while slow dragging a crawler along the wall on the North Pier... Best fish was the last fish of the trip a 19.5" Small mouth, caught it while I was bringing in what I thought was a goby due to the stupid light hits and a light weight then while hoisting it up it got decimated... And I ended up with a 19.5" smallie but I can't complain...   Also, a ton of fat rockbass lol  all in all the trip was good and I now I realize the hype in Erie for Smallies because man they are hogs...
mrman1976
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 21:41:19 (permalink)
Was out on the Bay today.  The wind provided for an awesome drift pattern.  Fish from 9:00 a.m to just before 5:00 p.m.  The lake really laid down right around 3:00 p.m.

Found most of our fish, 40+ between 3 guys, in the shallower waters (5'-12').  Tried the 15'+ areas quite a bit but didn't catch anything.  That's when we picked up and reset the drift pattern.

All the fish (Large Mouth, Small Mouth and Loads of Fat Rock Bass) were caught drop shotting a few different  type of green plastics.

Looking forward to getting up there again soon.

mrman1976
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 21:43:43 (permalink)
I got pics of our bigger fish, how do I post them?

MisterZ
Avid Angler
Re:bay smallmouth activity 2012/05/23 22:18:18 (permalink)
You've got to upload them online first I believe, then use the "Insert/Edit Image" link above when posting a new message (it's the little picture of the green tree next to the binoculars). Then you paste a IMG Code or Direct Image Link in the pop-up box.

Lookin forward to seeing your pics! Glad you did good in the Bay.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: