Panfish as bait

Author
jug
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/18 21:24:44 (permalink)

Panfish as bait

Just want to make sure I've got his right because I don't want to get any fines.

If I go fishing and catch a bluegill, put it on a hook, and use it as bait am I breaking any PA laws/regulations? I was always told it was illegal to use any gamefish as bait but I think it says in the book of regulations that it is legal.

I'M ON A MISSION
IM GOING FISHING

8 Replies Related Threads

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/18 23:47:48 (permalink)
    Well, I've done it, I always thought it was legal. Hit me with the book if its not.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/19 04:01:05 (permalink)
      As long as you catch them with hook & line & they are in season & of size you can use any fish in Pa. as bait. As long as it's already in the water you are fishin.

Lake Erie, most fish can't be used from there in other waters from what I gather. Panfish is prob. the most popl. food sorce in most lakes for Bass, Cats too toothy critters if you ask me?
    post edited by crappiefisher - 2007/12/19 04:03:36
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/19 19:19:26 (permalink)
    Bluegill is not a gamefish.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/19 20:31:28 (permalink)
    Yes you can. From the regs.

"BAITFISH includes all forms of minnows; suckers, chubs, fallfish, lampreys, eels between 6 and 8 inches in length; gizzard shad 8 inches or less; and all forms of darters, killifishes and stonecats (except those listed as threatened or endangered species). Legally taken gamefish may be used as bait. It is unlawful to use or possess goldfish, comets, koi, and common carp as baitfish while fishing."

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/bait.html
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/19 23:02:20 (permalink)
    You can use blue gill as bait just as long as your not fishing in a place that had special regulations on pan fish. I fish the quemahoning dam in somerset county and they have a pan fish regulation where if your caught using them as bait and they are under 8 inches you can get in trouble. and as usually you cant catch a pan fish from a local pond and then use them as bait some where else. but thats just common sense. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/21 07:28:07 (permalink)
    What do you mean you can't catch panfish and use them somewhere else?? We use small crappies for Musky bait all winter. They love them. Have a couple local lakes full of small crappies to small to eat but just right for bait.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jug
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/21 15:56:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

What do you mean you can't catch panfish and use them somewhere else?? We use small crappies for Musky bait all winter. They love them. Have a couple local lakes full of small crappies to small to eat but just right for bait.

You're not allowed to transfer fish from one body of water to another. So I'd imagine catching them somewhere and then using them elsewhere would be just the same.

I'M ON A MISSION
    IM GOING FISHING
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Panfish as bait 2007/12/21 16:42:58 (permalink)
    Releasing fish from another state, province, or country into Commonwealth waters is illegal without written permission from the Commission.

Transferring fish from one Pennsylvania watershed to another where that species is not always present is also illegal without written consent from the Commission.
    Jump to: