Future Snob

Author
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2984
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/25 13:09:28 (permalink)

Future Snob

Last week, I met a young man spin fishing a pool in the early morning hours. I noticed another rod sticking out of his backpack.
"Is that a fly rod"? I asked.
"Yea"
"You should get that strung up"
"Is it going to be good"?
"Yea".

So we sat on the bank scanning the water for bugs while I explained just enough information to get him started fishing dries.
When enough risers appeared, I let him choose a fly from his limited assortment. He picked a fly with the right color but wrong size. "Good luck with that, kid". I let him pick out a spot to fish. He insisted on a glassy smooth tailout that runs alongside the roots of a once standing sycamore tree. I guess if you are going to throw the wrong fly, a spot like that is going to either accelerate your education or give you a very frustrating first time experience. 
 The craneflies and bright green caddis did not disappoint. I hit quite a few at the head and mid pool before wading down to check on my new friend. We discussed his first experiences and I let him try to figure out why not one of the many risers took his fly. He had a very good answer. He said that he noticed the importance of a drift. When he was able to achieve a good drift that was free of drag, he got a fish to look or splash at the fly. He also noticed that his fly looked big compared to the naturals on the water.  Very impressive observations for a newbie. I told him that he might want to choose a different fly. He chose the #18 EHC. Good choice as he got four fish to eat. He explained that there were apparently more important considerations than color when choosing a fly.
 When the surface activity slowed to only a few craneflies, I came back to re-check on him. He pointed to some fish that he had been working on and couldn't get to bite. I noticed that the rise dimples were forming not from the fish taking caddis on top but from the dorsal fin and tails as they turned downward after taking pupa just underneath. I demonstrated successfully that with technique and persistence, one might get a fish to come up top to eat. I then decided to swallow hard and barely got out the next words. I told him that many fly fishermen have great success going underneath with pupa, nymphs or soft hackled patterns. To my surprise, his reply was one that only a true Dry Fly Snob could appreciate. He said "That would be too much like bait fishing". He proceeded to throw that dry at those fish while trying to perfect his approach. I looked toward the Heavens and smiled. God, in all his wisdom and wonder, hast sent to me a true Dry Fly Disciple. I continued to give him vague hints of information as if I was Christ himself speaking in tongues at the Sermon on the Mount, as to my young apprentice, I might  as well have been walking on water. I then realized; Yes, God truly loves dry fly fishermen.

Now in hindsight, there were many things I could have done to make his experience more successful. I could have put him in easier water to fish, but then you only learn how to catch the easy ones. I could have cut off that 5x tippet and lengthened his leader while adding 6x tippet but wanted him to learn accuracy and preciseness. I could have given him more fly pattern options but wanted him to not second guess the pattern but to concentrate on more important aspects. I chose to only give him hints and basic information. I let him try to figure things out for himself. That's how God wants it. I know that, now.

The Hatches:
 Bright green cheumatopsyche.

Yellow craneflies

A trout that likes craneflies.

Young Jedi Snob with first on top.

post edited by dano - 2012/04/25 14:33:03

8 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Future Snob 2012/04/25 13:15:50 (permalink)
    Good stuff, dano!
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Future Snob 2012/04/25 14:17:35 (permalink)
    dano, great story and i like the way you 'taught' him and let him figure things out.
    i always believed there is a little snobish in all of us. this kid had it all the time, just needed the confidence to be able to hold his nose up higher!
    here,here

He said "That would be too much like bait fishing".

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Future Snob 2012/04/25 14:41:13 (permalink)
    Dano,

Are you vying for the Ubersnob of the Year award?

Nice work.

Real nice work.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Future Snob 2012/04/25 15:06:00 (permalink)
    Well done, you are an attribute to the UFA........

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Future Snob 2012/04/25 15:13:19 (permalink)
    I started reading this and once I found out that there was going to be no two handed talk, I lost intrest. Hope all is well buddy!

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Future Snob 2012/04/25 18:38:14 (permalink)
    Excellent read.

UFA Excellence In Leadership Award Nominee.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Future Snob 2012/05/01 20:49:19 (permalink)
    nice story but DarDys you are not

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

goon19
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: RE: Future Snob 2012/05/22 13:55:27 (permalink)
    dano is a hell of a teacher he tought me some good stuff!!!
    thanks man
    Jump to: