2007/12/18 11:06:54 (permalink)

17cal for coyote

does anyone know if the 17cal is strong enough to take coyotes

2 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: 17cal for coyote 2007/12/18 12:16:02 (permalink)
    If you mean the 17 Rem, 17 fireball, or the 17 Mach IV then yes.  They are some of the preferred options for professional fur takers.

If you mean the 17 HM2 then no.  The bullet isn't moving fast enough for a 17 gr projectile.

If you mean the HMR, then you are about to open a can of worms that has been hashed out on a bunch of coyote/predator forums.  Basic consensus is that a 17 HMR will kill a coyote, but shouldn't be taken as the primary gun as it is limited in range and shot placement.  If presented with a broadside/quartering away shot (or headshot) under 50 yd with the 20 gr XTP bullet and you can guarantee placement then there is a very high likelyhood of dropping it on the spot.

Thanks,
    Rick
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: 17cal for coyote 2007/12/18 12:34:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

If you mean the 17 Rem, 17 fireball, or the 17 Mach IV then yes.  They are some of the preferred options for professional fur takers.

If you mean the 17 HM2 then no.  The bullet isn't moving fast enough for a 17 gr projectile.

If you mean the HMR, then you are about to open a can of worms that has been hashed out on a bunch of coyote/predator forums.  Basic consensus is that a 17 HMR will kill a coyote, but shouldn't be taken as the primary gun as it is limited in range and shot placement.  If presented with a broadside/quartering away shot (or headshot) under 50 yd with the 20 gr XTP bullet and you can guarantee placement then there is a very high likelyhood of dropping it on the spot.

Thanks,
    Rick

Ditto.  I believe most would not recommend it.  They are so elusive that I would want a gun that would get the job done at any angle if I got lucky enough to get a shot.

In SRA, where rimfire are the only rifles that are legal, I would rather have the old 12 guage with #4 buck or the Dead Coyote hevi-shot load.
    Jump to: