Fishing again after 20 years.

Author
Virgl2U
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2012/04/07 23:20:47 (permalink)

Fishing again after 20 years.

I just wanted to say that after a real bad divorce 20 years ago I am going to attempt to go back to fishing. One of the reasons I have not fished in 20 years was the pain I had suffered from the divorce and having lost my son but after watching shows like Swamp People and other fishing shows I have now gotten over the pain I had associated with fishing and the divorce. I had lost most of my fishing tackle from it including a wooden tackle box that my grandpa had made by hand from scrap wood using a old clothes dryer he had converted over into a table saw. I had his blood sweat and tears in that tackle box as he had sliced one of his fingers on the saw while trying to split a piece of wood. I loved my grandpa and we were quite a pair together and I miss him dearly and it hurt for many years thinking of how I had lost that box and all of the tackle I had saved for most of my life. I was a avid fisherman. One summer when I was a teen and could not find any work I went fishing every day down at a little creek that ran through the woods near to where I lived and most of the time I only caught what I use to call yellow belly catfish but now know them as flathead's. I would catch about a dozen or more of them a day while I listened to 700 wlw on my little ge portable radio. This was back when they would play music during the day and had not yet gone to talk radio. But back then I did not know the proper way to skin them to make them better tasting but now I have learned so I am hopeful to catch some catfish this summer and anything else large enough to cook. What with my food stamps being cut in half and my disability cut as well I will have to rely on getting food the old fashion way.

6 Replies Related Threads

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: Fishing again after 20 years. 2012/04/08 01:32:56 (permalink)
    Good for you man. Hopefully you can get out and do alot of fishing the bite is good right now as the water temperature heats up. Best of luck, Ed
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Fishing again after 20 years. 2012/04/08 11:08:44 (permalink)
    Welcome to the board Virg..now to restock your lost box.

SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Fishing again after 20 years. 2012/04/08 16:29:17 (permalink)
    If ya need something shoot me a PM.

Good luck

East side love is living on the west end
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Fishing again after 20 years. 2012/04/09 21:17:47 (permalink)
    Virg,

Good to see you're back in the game again. Keep moving forward and achieve a little at a time.

Fishing hasn't changed in the past 20 years, the same techniques and equipment are still being used today with the same success.

Welcome to the boards and good luck.
    SilentShedow1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Fishing again after 20 years. 2012/04/11 06:41:48 (permalink)
    I'm sorry to hear about your tacklebox and your divorce but I'm happy to hear that you're coming back to fishing! I think you'll enjoy the peacefullness and solitude of it after the mess it seems you've been through. All I really have to say to you is to take it slow, enjoy building up your collection and don't wish time away as you first start. Personally I enjoyed going from a tiny tackle box with bare essential fishing gear to a pretty respectable collection.
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Fishing again after 20 years. 2012/04/27 11:03:11 (permalink)
    Cool ! Send me a PM, I could mail you some hooks and stuff.
    Those were probably yellow bullheads, not flatheads, if they came from a small stream.But very good to eat.
    Jump to: