Author
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/27 15:58:43 (permalink)

Tippet leader for bass

Hello everyone.

I finally purchased a bass specific line from Orvis. It is a WF 8 wt line and has great reviews. I am now in the market for some tippet/leader line and have some questions. Normally, during the steelhead season, I will just buy a few spools of fluorocarbon in 4, 6, and 8 lb test and use it as a leader. Is it best to actually buy tippet leaders or is using a good fluorocarbon adequate? What brand and size tippet do you recommend when the water is clear, muddy, or in perfect conditions for bass fishing? Finally, how long of a leader do you tie to your fly line when fishing bass? For steelhead, I normally would tie a 3 ft. leader to to my fly line to a egg pattern for example, and then tie another clinch knot to that fly with another 3 or 4 ft leader to like a woolly bugger or something of that nature. Any suggestions?

2 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Tippet leader for bass 2012/03/27 21:31:41 (permalink)
    Bass arent line shy. Put something on heavy enough to keep em out of the weeds. I use seagar 10lb flouro. Thats just what I use. As far as length of the leader , About 5 - 8 foot long. Whatever you feel comfortable with. Go get em !!!

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Tippet leader for bass 2012/03/27 22:22:24 (permalink)
    as deetz said, "bass aren't line shy." i don't use flouro tippet. just got 10lb tapered bass leader from SA. 8 foot is what i usually use. sometimes i'll use 8lb.
    for smallies 2X or 3x tapered leader is good for me.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: