LED Bite Alarms, like or not?

Author
Amygirl
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 80
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/20 14:22:10 (permalink)

LED Bite Alarms, like or not?

Assuming it's not a scam(at least they SAY they have paypal) They got some bad reviews, and i think this company is from hong kong..still it's tempting. I found this pack of three online for $19 which seemed pretty awesome,

http://www.1topstore.com/en-usd/led-tone-3-bite-alarms-p13305.html

Anyway I don't think it comes with bank sticks, but I'd need 9mm size.

So what is your experience with bite alarms, did you like them? Do bluegills make them irritating? It says there is a volume control, I know they can be a nuisance for other fisherman. I heard that bank fishing systems was okay in price, anyone know any cheap places to get them?

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

I don't eat catfish anymore. One day I caught one, it was the most fun I ever had catching a fish and when i held him, he started talking to me. I respected that fish, and I promised him i wouldn't hurt his kind ever again, but crappies ..well, those are fair game.

24 Replies Related Threads

BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/20 14:43:31 (permalink)
    We just hang a bell from a cat toy on the line between the first and second eye on the rod. Let the line sag a bit between the eyes.

Yes, we are still here!
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/20 17:43:42 (permalink)
    Check out resistancetackle.com They have bite alarms for a good price and they are waterproof unlike most cheaper alarms. Trust me pay a little more for this or they will break the first heavy rain. The key to bluegills are turning the sensitivity down low so a small pull doesn't trigger the alarm. I have bank sticks if you are looking. They were only used twice and cost me 15 each but could work out a deal. I bought a new setup instead of using them.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/20 17:46:08 (permalink)
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/20 23:48:49 (permalink)
    We just hang a bell from a cat toy on the line between the first and second eye on the rod. Let the line sag a bit between the eyes.

This...

or... we use the lighted bobbers with the bb shot in them that cause them to rattle. I tie a loop in a 6" piece of fishing line, on the other end tie it to a generic larger sized swivel. Hook the bobber to the loop end, open swivel and hang it over the rod's line between first and second eye with droop in it (as borg said) and sit back to wait. A strong hit will most likely knock it right off of the line, or at least make the shot rattle plenty loud, and with it being lit you can watch it from a distance and still see light bites/nibbles.

They also make bells with glow in the dark holders that clip right around the end of your pole and also are decent aides.
    I've never used the alarms like you showed basically because we were always happy with how the other methods worked.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/21 07:36:16 (permalink)
    I've seen carpers using the alarms, seem to work pretty good. I just use the bells w glowstick holders on my baitrunners for catfishing like fisherlady mentioned
    Amygirl
    Novice Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/21 16:27:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the ideas! I will def try a couple of these, and see what works for me, try to save some money. I'm assuming this is just for cats, since carp need to run, or what? My bf is pretty stuck on the idea of these LED alarms, since he wants to carp fish. I'll let him know about the bank sticks and that website, thanks accord.

I don't eat catfish anymore. One day I caught one, it was the most fun I ever had catching a fish and when i held him, he started talking to me. I respected that fish, and I promised him i wouldn't hurt his kind ever again, but crappies ..well, those are fair game.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/21 17:54:24 (permalink)
    You can use the alarms for any fish really. I have used them for pike as well and cats. The thing I always tell people is with a glow bobber you still have to stare at it and if you look away you could miss a hit. Also if a pike gets hold it could break the line then you have no bobber. With an alarm you can BS with your friends and the alarm lets you know even if you get a 2 inch pull so you are then aware. Its also good if you are running up to the car real fast so you can hear if you get a fish (car being 20-30 feet away of course) You would seriously be surprised just how many hits you get that you are never aware you get without alarms.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/21 19:30:13 (permalink)
    I like my alarms turned way down

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/22 22:43:24 (permalink)
    Bobber with a junk swivel attached to it so it doesn't fly away when a fish slams it and on the heavy weight outfits I use at the river or the local ACoE outflows I don't use anything because we have baitrunners... I myself wouldn't spend the $20 on it but that's just me... I'd probably buy some more gear or something i'd possibly forget about.
    Amygirl
    Novice Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/23 11:31:23 (permalink)
    We were out carp fishing yesterday and it was run and stop, tick- tick, run and stop..this went on for 3-4hours, when I pulled in two of the rods at the end of the day there were two golden shiners! I was thinking I don't know if having a bite alarm would be exciting or annoying with those goobers. Does that happen a lot for you guys?

anatikus
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/23 15:25:44 (permalink)
    even though im not a huge fan of strike sensors i'll use them on tipups (only at night though)...and as far as the ones your looking at go, im sure that you can find something better. keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for...and if their cheap...well...im sure you get the idea. besides that, why send your money to hong freaking kong? what ever they send, if sent at all, has a huge chance of never making it to you....imho.

fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/23 16:26:25 (permalink)
    Golden shiners make great catfish(and bass) bait. I would rather catch those than carp this time of year!
    Amygirl
    Novice Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/23 16:40:30 (permalink)
    nicely put. Found some from Scorpion tackle that accordbw suggested 3 for 30 they look pretty decent, I'll probably end up going with them and some noodle rods for now.

Amygirl
    Novice Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/23 16:43:14 (permalink)
    sorry I meant yellow belly shiner, do those work any good? I heard perch work and some others about 4-5 in? Would you just use a carolina rig, or what for that?

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/24 08:50:43 (permalink)
    About any fresh cut fish should work, most shiner type fish are more oily than others, putting out more scent. I use a slip sinker rig, if I'm fishing a lake, run the main line through a barrel sinker, then a big swivel, then leader material 6-18" then hook, make sure the hook point is exposed unless its a real snaggy area.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/27 11:31:29 (permalink)
    For ocean surf fishing at night, I always use glow bracelets (will be doing in about 8 hours!). They bend nice, so no need to take off for casting. Put at the end of your rod, take one end of a rubber band loop and put end of stick in. Then wrap the rubber band around both the end of rod and stick until tight and put remaining loop of rubber band around the stick. Put a rubber band at bottom and top of stick. Easier to put on before lining rod, but not hard to add on after. Craft stores and dollar stores usually sell about 12 or so for $1. If you pay attention, right after certain holidays, they go on sale for dirt cheap. The kids love them too, probably because they are made for them... I like to use the small hair rubber bands (that I steal from my daugther ), I'm the one that pays for them...

I attempted to make an LED sensor from lights that are made for ghettoing out car wheels. It screws into your tire stem. I think a 4 pack on clearance for under $10. Then bought a variety pack of plastic air pump tips, which clipped on the rod. They worked ok, but mostly used at the ocean, where the wind would set them off constantly, probably the same with sound sensors. Have sworn by the glow sticks since.
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/03/30 18:21:38 (permalink)
    not a big fan of using electronics to alert me when i have a bite however a bottle filled with water and an open bell work fine, put pole on Y open bell put line on bottle when bottle falls pick up pole close bell and yank, its that easy
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2012/04/06 13:00:39 (permalink)
    Try looking up an alarm called a "fishcop". They are vibration sensitive with adjutable sensitivity. They go off before the fish even takes any line.
    Shyrothi
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2013/02/12 01:24:47 (permalink)
    Amygirl

Assuming it's not a scam(at least they SAY they have paypal) They got some bad reviews, and i think this company is from hong kong..still it's tempting. I found led bulbs this pack of three online for $19 which seemed pretty awesome,

http://www.1topstore.com/en-usd/led-tone-3-bite-alarms-p13305.html

Anyway I don't think it comes with bank sticks, but I'd need 9mm size.

So what is your experience with bite alarms, did you like them? Do bluegills make them irritating? It says there is a volume control, I know they can be a nuisance for other fisherman. I heard that bank fishing systems was okay in price, anyone know any cheap places to get them?

I do have bad experience with these led alarms. I am trying to find to good alarm system, if you can suggest it would be great
    post edited by Shyrothi - 2013/02/12 02:27:49
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    Re:LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2013/02/13 23:27:04 (permalink)
    [link=https://www.resistancetackle.com/catalog.php?mode=publicviewitemdetail&ref=3234]https://www.resistancetac...temdetail&ref=3234[/link]

These are a great price and water proof. The company also stands behind their products.
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    Re:LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2013/02/17 21:43:38 (permalink)
    I found an indicator at di*ks sporting goods that clips on to the top of the rod and has an insert for a 1 inch light indicator and has 2 bells on it looks pretty kool havent used it yet but i cant wait to
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2013/02/18 14:17:14 (permalink)
    I frequently use those type of bells catfishing. They work well but the threads frequently fail causing them to not tighten anymore. Oh well they're cheap.
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    Re:LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2013/02/19 00:39:22 (permalink)
    yeah i think i paid 4 dollars for it so if it works for an outing or 2 ill be satisfied
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:LED Bite Alarms, like or not? 2013/02/20 13:48:24 (permalink)
    The problem with bells is if there are multiple rods being used and you hear a bell, you don't know which rod to run to. I use "Fish cops".
    Jump to: