Raining crawlers...LOL

Author
Pachuckles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/19 09:36:34 (permalink)

Raining crawlers...LOL

Went out "crawler" picking (at daybreak) this morning and didn't do too bad. I picked up about 250 in less than in 1 hour. Honestly, I never saw so many laying right out on the street. At $2.50 a dozen that's $50
an hour. The toughest part was bending or squatting down to pick them up. (back was starting to
complain) Should have taken my grandson with me but then he would have been late for school.
I wonder what class I could have him excused from for "crawler picking?"
Now let's go fishing.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

8 Replies Related Threads

fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/19 09:53:15 (permalink)
    just told my 5yr old and 3yr old that the next time it rains in the evening we're going out to catch Nightcrawlers. It'll be the first time i've done that with them, they'll have a blast.

Guess I need to get busy and build a worm-box.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/19 09:57:39 (permalink)
    Best part of picking them that way is that they are usualy not injured by picking them off of the cement thus living longer. Sad part is that getting your own bait is a dying tradition,instead of being a looked forward part of the fishing experience. sam
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/19 10:01:16 (permalink)
    Fresh caught nightcrawlers work so much better than store-bought ones.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2529
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/19 10:40:49 (permalink)
    That's a haul of worms. I used to dislike getting the slime on my hand and the dirt under my nails, so I bought a pack of cheap rubber gloves and place one on my hand when gathering. It also helps you to hold on to them.
    ORIGINAL: Pachuckles

Went out "crawler" picking (at daybreak) this morning and didn't do too bad. I picked up about 250 in less than in 1 hour. Honestly, I never saw so many laying right out on the street. At $2.50 a dozen that's $50
    an hour. The toughest part was bending or squatting down to pick them up. (back was starting to
    complain) Should have taken my grandson with me but then he would have been late for school.
    I wonder what class I could have him excused from for "crawler picking?"
    Now let's go fishing.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Pachuckles
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/19 11:41:06 (permalink)
    Bigfoot
    I thought of a rubber glove but also thought that the rubber glove would make them slipperier.
    Maybe a latex type glove would be better. I'll have to give it a try. Then I'd have to carry a cloth to clean the slime off the glove. Oh well, that's just part of fishing. Catching the bait, catching the fish, cleaning the fish, then eating them or giving them away. MY dad told me to "Never give a person half a gift, if you plan on giving someone fish clean them first."

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2529
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/19 14:58:04 (permalink)
    I stand corrected. The glove I use is latex made by Stanley. Got a box of 50 at China-Mart. Don't recall what I paid, but I beleive they are relatively inexpensive. I throw them away after I use them. They come in handy for other projects as well. For instance, I make walking sticks and I use them when I apply stain.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/19 21:39:22 (permalink)
    Wow, I didn't know people still did this. My dad and me used to do this all the time,and that's been years ago. We were the only ones in our neighborhood, out with our flash lights, after a good rain storm. People got used to seeing us, and they knew who we were when they saw the flash lights. Our neighbors used to help us out by keeping their yards cut and some would sit out on their porches and talk to us while we searched for them. It was just a fun thing to do with dad.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Raining crawlers...LOL 2012/03/21 20:34:49 (permalink)
    Got to keep them cool. They'll deteriorate and die if you don't. I think 55 degrees and below!

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    Jump to: