life vests and kayaks

Author
dakotab
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 358
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/15 13:45:21 (permalink)

life vests and kayaks

I have read the "Who must wear life vests" section in the boaters handbook and this is all I could find.

"Children 12 years of age and younger on Commonwealth waters when underway on any boat 20 feet or less in length and in all canoes and kayaks."
"On Pittsburgh District U.S. Army Corps of Engineers lakes (only), everyone in boats less than 16 feet in length and in all canoes and kayaks."

Now. The way I read it, I (35) do not have to "wear" my life vest in my kayak just have it "handy". Correct? Where is the list of Pittsburgh District U.S. Army Corps of Engineers lakes?

From what I've found the only lakes in North western Pa I would have to wear one on would be Woodcock, Union City dam, and Tionesta. I don't have to accually "wear" it on the bay, right?
post edited by dakotab - 2012/03/15 13:55:41

16 Replies Related Threads

Sharpefly
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/15 14:04:30 (permalink)
    I think as of nov 1 2012 you will have to wear them till april 1st every year. Kayaks,canoes and boats under 16ft no matter what age you are. File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
    life jacket wear. Beginning November 1, 2012, boaters must wear a life jacket on boats less than 16 feet in length or any canoe or kayak during the cold weather ...
    fishandboat.com
    fishandboat.com/anglerboater/2011ab/vol80num6.../06coldkayak.pdf
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/15 14:16:01 (permalink)
    Ok, You're probably right with that one but I was thinking more about in the warmer months.
    citycop4
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/16 10:32:12 (permalink)
    I work River Rescue, and a Boters Ed instructor. Why wouldn't you wear your PFD at all times when you are in a canoe or kayak? I do. Just makes no sense to keep it handy. If you flip do you think you will have time to don it? If your current PFD is uncomfortable then get one that is and wear it. Once you get used to it it will be second nature to wear it. MY professional opinion.

ORIGINAL: dakotab

Ok, You're probably right with that one but I was thinking more about in the warmer months.
    post edited by citycop4 - 2012/03/16 10:33:27
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/16 12:24:52 (permalink)
    I'll be doing more kayaking this year. I don't know how much open water I'll be hitting on anything but my boat, but I have been in a tipped canoe in water over my head. I don't often wear my life jacket and I hafta say, I'd be more worried in a boating accident. If you flip a canoe or kayak, well, the PFD floats and it's not going anywhere. I'd stress more to people about having the physical capabilities to swim when around water, but that's just me. We'll see what they teach when I go to get some certs.

If we're talking white water then I follow. If we're talking fishing and recreation then I'm more comfort oriented.
    post edited by wrighter00 - 2012/03/16 14:55:03

I'd rather be fishin...
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/16 12:39:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: citycop4

I work River Rescue, and a Boters Ed instructor. Why wouldn't you wear your PFD at all times when you are in a canoe or kayak? I do. Just makes no sense to keep it handy. If you flip do you think you will have time to don it? If your current PFD is uncomfortable then get one that is and wear it. Once you get used to it it will be second nature to wear it. MY professional opinion.

as far as in a canoe in recreational areas, such as the clarion river, and because i know how to swim, i have no reason to be uncomfortable when i feel safe. it will never be second nature to me!
    when on a lake that no motor boats are allowed, i don't feel unsafe without wearing one.
    do i always have one in the canoe? you betcha!!

i'll wear one if i'm in uncharted waters. This is my honest opinion.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2012/03/16 12:40:31

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/16 15:23:35 (permalink)
    everyone has their preferences and are free to weigh the risks and do as they see fit, but my experience has been that the ability to swim and a "handy" lifevest ares useless when you've tipped over and hit your head to the point of unconciousness.
    post edited by Riverbum - 2012/03/16 15:24:04

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/16 15:48:20 (permalink)
    I would never go without a PFD when kayaking in a large body of water like a lake, river, or ocean. Now a small creek or stream is a whole different matter.

Also no one mentioned it, but the other thing you should always have is a cell phone in a waterproof container/bag. Vacuum sealers work excellent for this, and you can even still use some functionality on your phone while it's sealed and in the bag.

If your current PFD is uncomfortable then get one that is and wear it.

+1
    post edited by SteelSlayer77 - 2012/03/16 15:55:58
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/19 07:42:08 (permalink)
    Not looking for "opinions" but looking for the "law". I can swim quite well and I'm not going to spend a nice 85 degree day with vest on the whole time if I don't have to. So I'm assuming that my interpretation of the law is correct since nobody seemed to disagree with the "law" side of my question.

It is legal to kayak on Presque Isle WITHOUT a vest "on".
    SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/19 08:33:32 (permalink)
    Dakotab, i am also a kayaker and my understanding of the law is that in addition to the cold weather months (through april),you must wear a vest in any Army Corp lake and river. What that translates to is every piece of water that allows "no HP limit" on outboards. Hope this helps.
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/19 10:16:28 (permalink)
    I can swim quite well

I guess that will work as long as you never go out farther than swimming distance away from land, all depends on where your going. I've been out far on large lakes and also in the ocean where if something went wrong and your Yak started taking on water, you would never be able to swim back to land.
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/19 12:10:26 (permalink)
    I guess a guy could just use his/her "readily available" life jacket then.
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/19 12:12:44 (permalink)
    I found a website that marked the ACOE lakes and it only listed Allegehany Resivoir, Union City dam, Woodcock and tionesta. Is there a more detailed list of lakes and rivers that is owned by the Army Corp of Engineers?
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/19 12:48:38 (permalink)
    This link shows the Pennsylvania ACE waters in the Pittsburgh District.
    http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/rec/lakes/damlakes.htm

This link lets you click on a state to see the ACE waters in any district.
    http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    SteelSlayer77
    Expert Angler
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/19 13:36:37 (permalink)
    I guess a guy could just use his/her "readily available" life jacket then.

Sure as long as strong currents haven't swept it away faster than you could get your bearings or swim over to it. Obviously you're probably fine in most lakes or the bay, the river or ocean could be a different story though.

Most of my experience with yaks is out in the ocean where there are very strong currents, so I'm sure I have a different perspective.
    dakotab
    Expert Angler
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/20 08:15:56 (permalink)
    I'd never use one in the ocean. I just can't get past the idea that I would look like a big Zara Spook to a Great White.
    Abear
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: life vests and kayaks 2012/03/20 08:49:19 (permalink)
    This link shows a list of all army core water ways in Pa. Not sure about the bay specifically but it is not listed so I would assume you do not need to wear a life jacket. http://www.lrp.usace.army.mil/rec/rec.htm

ORIGINAL: Riverbum

everyone has their preferences and are free to weigh the risks and do as they see fit, but my experience has been that the ability to swim and a "handy" lifevest ares useless when you've tipped over and hit your head to the point of unconciousness.

Most of the life jackets I see people using DO NOT turn you over if you are unconscious in fact many have a tendency to hold the unconscious face down. So if this is your main concern make sure you have the right type of PFD. Often it is the most uncomfortable one you can find.
    Jump to: