Bass Flying

Author
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points: 0
2012/03/08 17:52:51 (permalink)

Bass Flying

I just started fly fishing this year for steelie's and have minimal success this season. I am still trying to get the drift and casting down the best I can. I am hoping to start fly fishing for bass in the bay this spring and had a few questions. I am using a TFO Lefty Kreh Professional series rod, which is a 10' 7wt 4 piece (model TFO 07104P) and paired with a Okuma SLV 7/8 wt reel. I am using RIO (model WF7F) 7wt floating line that I purchased from FishUSA. It seems like a decent line from what I know which is little but anyway. I see that they also sell RIO Mainstream Bass, Pike, & Panfish fly line. Is this a good line to have? Should I buy a extra reel spool and load it up with this Bass fly line? I am thinking I should since the fly line that is currently spooled is targeted towards trout/steelhead which like very small flies while bass flies seem a lot bigger in size.

Also, I plan to use a lot of top-water flies like poppers/hoppers and sliders. I been looking online and everywhere either wants an arm and a leg for a single fly or they are completely sold out online. Can anyone suggest a local bait shop that sells bass flies like the ones I mentioned? I called PR and they said they do not sell bass flies. Anyways, mainly, I would like to know where to purchase bass flies and do you recommend a specific fly line when targeting other species like bass. Thanks for any and all info.

xxBFMxx

11 Replies Related Threads

xXBeastFeesherManXx
    Novice Angler
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/08 19:02:33 (permalink)
    xxBeast, i've been bass fishing for a few years now with my 7wt. rod i use for steelhead with a WF line. you should be fine with yours. no need to go overboard.
    bass, niether smallies or largemouth are line shy. i use 1X, 2X or 3X tapered leader. 9 foot most of the time.
    when i started LMbass fishing i made my own buggy looking poppers and sliders out of cork bought from trader horn. nothing fancy, a tail of feathers or hair-a-bue (spelling?) and a couple of turns of hackle at the butt. i used permanent magic marker to color them.
    some people say trout are stupid, that shoud make bass idiots. they'll attack something for territorial purposes not just because they are hungry.
    if you want something that looks pretty than go for it. i tie my poppers now with "perfect poppers" be Wapsi. i use the rubber strands that they use for any other bass lures. it's easier because the slot is already in them for the hook and it's easy to heat a needle and burn a hole through the plastic for the rubber legs than to drill a hole through a cork.
    there is no doubt in my mind a simple bottle cork (wine corks work also) dressed up and colored with magic marker will catch just as many bass as the store bought kinds for the fly rod.
    as far as beneath, a wolly bugger will work and crazy, colorful, streamers like the one's cold exposed in the bass fly thread.
    i once watched a largemouth in a river attack a piece of purple yarn that was wrapped around a tree branch and waving in the water. he attacked it over and over again. never did get it pulled off the limb.

i've also caught largemouth on big humpy patterns and wulff patterns.

here's some of my ugly magic marker colored poppers i caught largemouth on. not as sophisticated as some might think!!!

http://forums.fishusa.com/m_333672/mpage_1/key_bass%252Cglass/tm.htm#333672
    post edited by doubletaper - 2012/03/08 19:10:45

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/08 22:24:05 (permalink)
    xxxbeast- sounds like you should be all set on rod/reel/ line. use the money on flies and a few good bass leaders instead. If you are not set on topwater, then wooly buggers and clouser minnows are a great way to go. If you are set on topwater then i would recomend looking at some bigger poppers than the ones you have shown. I would recomend talking to the guys at erie ultimate angler for some good patterns and get their advice on where, when, and how. It's well worth the extra $ per fly when you get the info and help that those guys have. Don't need a ton. I use the same fly for 80% of my bass fishing and only a few others with any regularity.
    Also, most major big box stores have "Bass assortments"  all put together in a little box for you. look around and good luck.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/09 11:42:12 (permalink)
    If you're planning on spending much time targeting bass with a fly, you'll want to get a line made for turning over big flies. It will make a world of difference.

The best big fly specific lines have short front tapers, short bodies, and long back tapers, which puts the weight of the line far forward on the head, which will allow you to throw big flies with a short back cast.

OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/09 16:13:08 (permalink)
    I agree, lots of good specialty lines out there, but for someone who is just learning to cast its getting ahead of things dont ya think? bass tapers are nice but learning to cast would be more important.
    xXBeastFeesherManXx
    Novice Angler
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/09 16:46:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: thedrake

If you're planning on spending much time targeting bass with a fly, you'll want to get a line made for turning over big flies. It will make a world of difference.

The best big fly specific lines have short front tapers, short bodies, and long back tapers, which puts the weight of the line far forward on the head, which will allow you to throw big flies with a short back cast.

Can you recommend a good "big fly specific fly line"? How is this stuff:

http://www.fishusa.com/Rio-Mainstream-Bass-Pike--Panfish-Fly-Line--Yellow_p.html
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/13 10:26:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OCfisher

I agree, lots of good specialty lines out there, but for someone who is just learning to cast its getting ahead of things dont ya think? bass tapers are nice but learning to cast would be more important.

Bass bugs are very difficult to cast on lines that were basically designed for trout, where the head of the line is not ideal for turning over big flies. If bass fishing is something he plans on doing a lot, and he is currently learning to cast, his learning curve will be shortened if he has the right line for the job and is therefore, "not getting ahead of things".

He asked about lines and I game him my opinion on lines.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/13 11:37:01 (permalink)
    -honest opinion...get rid of the 10' rod
    get something shorter for bass fishing

-learn how to haul and shoot line

-stout leaders... a 9' 5x trout leader will not turn over your fly
    tie a basic leader
    15#-- 10#-- 8# mono about 8ft long is perfect

-you said you have a "rio line"... which model?

-Yes... a bass specific line will make a world of difference

DrewFlu33
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/15 09:45:39 (permalink)
    Furled leaders help immensely in turning over big flies I think too.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/15 10:44:51 (permalink)
    I use my old glass 7wt. with a double taper, but cut the first taper off, making a wt. forward out of it. Worked good for most poppers.
    My first used popper...

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Bass Flying 2012/03/15 11:37:01 (permalink)
    http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/mastery-fly-lines/mastery-series-bass-bug.html

I am also a little ignorant compared to most of these cats, but this looks liek what you are looking for.

As far as flies go, bass will hit anything, i glue craft foam together and glue it to a hook, and lay some bou behind it, and I slam fish in a farm pond.

Anythign froggy, it is tough casting big wind resistant stuff when you are first starting out, but learn how to cast, floating line is pretty easy, but go somewhere open and get some practice with some weight on there.

Jump to: