Rod holders

Author
wanderer
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 91
  • Reward points: 0
2012/02/01 08:40:03 (permalink)

Rod holders

Does anyone have any experience with anglers pal rod holders the boat i am looking at already has the mounts but i would need the rod holders wondered if they were any good thanks

1 Reply Related Threads

nwpaconcours
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Rod holders 2012/02/04 09:10:05 (permalink)
    Lots of experience here...we've used them for decades.

- Get the longer rod holders, its easier on your downrigger rods and easier to get out of the rod holders (less torque on the handle).
    - The original rod holders we've had forever wouldn't budge on their ball joint no matter how much pressure you put on them
    - The latest rod holders on a newer boat tend to slip a little if you don't have the rod holder tightened all the way down, but only when running a jumbo dipsy with a long rod. They aren't as tight as the 25 year old versions, but I imagine that's because those are scuffed and oxidized some.
    - Its great to be able to turn them any direction you want. We can set them nearly vertical to carry rods upright, or nearly horizontal for running off the sides. Then fold them down on the boat for the canvas.
    - If you have a problem with them slipping, they will send at no-charge a kit of washers to insert in the rod holder, but its a bit of a struggle to get them apart.
    - All that said, I ordered a pair of Cannon's for the season to try. I had a couple scares with the Dipsys over the last couple years when a big fish hits it...I've had a couple slip maybe 20 degrees. Never ever would happen with the older ones, and these may tighten up with use.

edit: Missed that you said they were already on the boat. I'd run them -- they are good, strong rod holders. Just crank down hard on the handscrew and give them a tug up and down to be sure they're tightened up.
    post edited by nwpaconcours - 2012/02/04 09:12:37
    Jump to: