never happen in PA

Page: << < ..1112131415 Showing page 15 of 15
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:13:26 (permalink)
so none of the 200,000K were from 2A .. sorry not buying that,,

even at only 1% that's a lot of hunters not harvesting deer there....
and take in the success rate and add some of those back in .. who knows ???
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:13:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

ORIGINAL: dpms

ORIGINAL: fishin coyote

Was not 99.9% of EHD contained in 2A ? If any did occur in 2B it was along the border with 2A.

Having growed up in the northern section of 2B(Beaver cnty.) with family that own farms the herd is not what it once was. Some due to HR but most due to urban deer eradiction programs instituted in a rural area IMHO.
Mike

Yep. EHD was primarily 2A.  Western Beaver County, southern Washington, northern Greene.

Deer distribution is absolutely a big issue in the 2B. Not just in western Pa but out east as well. It is all about access as those that live here have been saying. 

Agreed. 

The deer disparity across 2B is growing and will continue to grow with 18 weeks of doe hunting focusing pressure in the more accessible, rural portions of 2B. 

You are correct that there is a harvest disparity across unit 2B and I can tell you that there is a lot of effort being put into an evaluation of unit 2B to try to correct some of the issues you and others are bringing up. You will most likely see some changes within the unit for the 2013/14 seasons.

But there are disparities within every unit and just making smaller or different shaped units with different boundaries might not result in reducing those harvest disparities, in fact unless there is enough data to support the changes it very well could make it worse instead of better.

Change is only a benefit in wildlife management if you have data that supports the change. Making smaller units may just change the confidence variable from where it is now to a lower level and thus more chance for not capturing and recognizing management or population modeling mistakes for a longer period of time.

Wildlife management is always, and always will be, a science combined with the art of trying to catch up with what has already occurred. For that reason when you increase the confidence variable you also make it more likely that you will be outside of the best possible management parameters that occur with the increased data that results from a larger unit.

With that said I do expect unit 2B is going to see a unit within the unit that better addresses hunter access issues to at least attempt to remove some of the disparity you speak of.

R.S. Bodenhorn      
post edited by RSB - 2012/02/22 21:25:52
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:25:51 (permalink)
We will not know what the unit 2A antlerless harvest was for this year for several weeks yet but when the numbers come out we will all have more incite into how much affect the season length and hunter success rate change is from a 12 to 7 day season has on antlerless harvests compared to the allocations.

And how exactly do you think will we know that by looking at one years antlerless harvest??
RSB
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:30:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

We will not know what the unit 2A antlerless harvest was for this year for several weeks yet but when the numbers come out we will all have more incite into how much affect the season length and hunter success rate change is from a 12 to 7 day season has on antlerless harvests compared to the allocations.

And how exactly do you think will we know that by looking at one years antlerless harvest??

You will know if more licenses and shorter season resulted in more or fewer deer being harvested. You, or at least the professional managers will also be able to evaluate any differences in the hunter success rate.

You are also somewhat correct that one-year does not show a trend. But, at least it will give a glimpse into that is likely to be expected for the future.

R.S. Bodenhorn
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:30:53 (permalink)
so none of the 200,000K were from 2A .. sorry not buying that,,

even at only 1% that's a lot of hunters not harvesting deer there....
and take in the success rate and add some of those back in .. who knows ???

You can buy or not buy whatever you like these days there has been a shift away from the bigwoods. Not exactly a big secret where much of that "shift" has gone.

Doesnt really matter though, since the current hunter numbers have been enough to cause the reductions in the herd of the unit, and only way that wont be the case without amends being made, like I said, would be with a hunter decline. So not sure what your point is, other than you're trying for a "point", but just don't have it in ya to earn one!

Maybe next time doc. Maybe I'll just set you up in the conversation to make a point and take an intentional "dive" outta pity.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:44:07 (permalink)
You will know if more licenses and shorter season resulted in more or fewer deer being harvested. You, or at least the professional managers will also be able to evaluate any differences in the hunter success rate.

Not likely. In one year alone, there will be no real way to determine what was caused by the season change (if anything) and what was caused by any other factors. Like reduction to the herd from the previous year?? Weather?? Just only to be expected deviation, since even without change each years harvest is naturally gonna be a little higher or a little lower. Very seldom is the "exact" same harvest had two years in a row, even with same season structure and same allocations. Thats why its constantly said how important "trends" are.

You are also somewhat correct that one-year does not show a trend. But, at least it will give a glimpse into that is likely to be expected for the future.

As long as no real decision-making, or significant change is based on that one year. However if they looked at the last several years of "overharvest" I wouldnt be upset or think it unwarranted if they decided to cut back on the allocations a bit.

post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/22 21:46:53
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:48:52 (permalink)
well one thing that will be leanred from even a one year change to a 7 days season for does is it can be compared to the other WMU that had that change made in the past... and I doubt the new areas will have any different results..

IMHO == a few antlerless may have been saved .. no change in button buck harvest ratio..and an increase in the buck harvest of around 10%...

In my unit 2F.. I look to have an increase in the antlerless harvest though !!!
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/02/22 21:51:24
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:50:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RSB

Since the Commission dropped unit 2A from the 12 day to 7 day antlerless season last year the higher allocation consistent with the harvest parameters for the 7 day season was put in place. That higher allocation was simply intended to obtain the same harvest as what would have been obtained with the lower allocation and longer antlerless season.

Yes. Understand that. You are avoiding the question. You just said the higher allocations were meant to offset a shorter season to obtain the same harvest.

I, and others, have been consistantly asking the same question of you. Why in a unit(2A) with a decreasing population, according to the PGC, and a goal of stabilization, according to the PGC, would the PGC set allocations to obtain the same harvest?

My rifle is a black rifle
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:52:10 (permalink)

With that said I do expect unit 2B is going to see a unit within the unit that better addresses hunter access issues to at least attempt to remove some of the disparity you speak of.

R.S. Bodenhorn      

I am hopeful as well.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 21:56:42 (permalink)
well one thing that will be leanred from even a one year change to a 7 days season for does is it can be compared to the other WMU that had that change made in the past... and I doubt the new areas will have any different results..

Each unit isnt the same. You have different access issues, FAR different topography, far different hunter numbers, and WAAAY different allocations, some with 2 or 3 times as many as others, as well as different deer densities... If anyone tells you that each unit would be effected exactly the same with the change, you tell 'em theyre full of it.

post edited by wayne c - 2012/02/22 23:01:49
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 22:02:17 (permalink)

R.S. Bodenhorn      

I am hopeful as well.

So do you support the "unit within the unit" concept rsb?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/22 22:04:54 (permalink)

Since the Commission dropped unit 2A from the 12 day to 7 day antlerless season last year the higher allocation consistent with the harvest parameters for the 7 day season was put in place. That higher allocation was simply intended to obtain the same harvest as what would have been obtained with the lower allocation and longer antlerless season.

Yes. Understand that. You are avoiding the question. You just said the higher allocations were meant to offset a shorter season to obtain the same harvest.

I, and others, have been consistantly asking the same question of you. Why in a unit(2A) with a decreasing population, according to the PGC, and a goal of stabilization, according to the PGC, would the PGC set allocations to obtain the same harvest?

Congratulations. You've just earned "thug" status.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/23 07:27:54 (permalink)

Directed to deal with DarDys previous post:

Maybe in your opinion those are major changes. And, you are entitled to your opinion. But, it is really nothing more than an opinion.

In my opinion they are not major changes in management unless they result in a major change in the harvests or total management objective and the big picture. So far as near as I can tell none of those changes has resulted in any major change in the total harvests, management objectives or the big picture of wildlife management.

And by the way, since you were so arrogant as to suggest that I should stick with law enforcement instead of explaining wildlife management even though I was also trained in wildlife management, I will in turn suggest that you stick with making, testing and inspecting your manufactured parts instead of trying to critique wildlife management objectives.    

R.S. Bodenhorn  

You don't need to "deal" with me.

What I posted was neither arrogant nor had anything to do with manufacturing nor was based on opinion.  It is simple logic.  Perhaps they need to teach that at the academy.

So simple, you should be able to understand that cannot harvest an antlerless deer vs. can harvest an antlerless deer with respect to the mentored season is a polar opposite.  If a polar opposite is not significant, I don't know what is.

If one cannot use a crossbow vs. can use a crossbow (in addition to did not hunt the archery season before crossbows vs. hunts the archery season because of crossbows) that is a polar opposite -- again if that is not significant, nothing is.

If a 100% change to four-on-a-side is not significant, I really don't know what can be more significant that 100%.
post edited by DarDys - 2012/02/23 08:46:14

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/23 07:31:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

Next he'll have to "deal" with you.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/23 08:00:58 (permalink)

Next he'll have to "deal" with you.

Another one added to the list of folks growing tired of the same old retoric on topic after topic in spite of overwhelming evidence that proves him wrong. Welcome
post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/23 08:03:02
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/23 09:39:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Another one added to the list of folks growing tired of the same old retoric on topic after topic in spite of overwhelming evidence that proves him wrong. Welcome

On the particular case of 2A, I do strongly believe he is incorrect.  I wouldn't characterize it that I disagree with him on "topic after topic". I appreciate that he takes the time to post here.

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/23 14:13:12 (permalink)
I appreciate that he takes the time to post here.

Seems to be a lot of that going on. Most of the forums I have visited has one or more known PGC/DCNR reps promoting the party line. I suppose it's just part of that social media stuff they have said they were getting into. I see one such fellow on a site you are a moderator on has almost 30,000 posts. Pretty busy fellow. The gal keeps busy too for someone with two full time jobs.
post edited by S-10 - 2012/02/23 15:23:14
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/23 15:38:28 (permalink)
I suppose it's just part of that social media stuff they have said they were getting into.

I really enjoy following the PGC on twitter. They put some really cool links/photos/info/stories on there.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: never happen in PA 2012/02/23 15:43:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

I see one such fellow on a site you are a moderator on has almost 30,000 posts. Pretty busy fellow.

Yea.  He is a retired WCO so a bunch of time on his hands I guess.

Page: << < ..1112131415 Showing page 15 of 15
Jump to: