Canine Frat House

Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/11 11:12:07 (permalink)

Canine Frat House

I recently received permission to hunt a new property, and the owner told me to make sure to take a peek inside the old house at the back 40.

This morning I took my first stroll through to check for sign and, well, I'll let the pics tell the story:

Old Porky Hide - few toothpicks left behind

Now that's what I call markin a turf:
I never thought a dog intentionally dumped where it lay.

Besides the piles of scat & fur everywhere, there were plenty of tracks around outside.

I just gotta spend some time and figure out their schedule

As Arnold would say "I'll be back"
post edited by draketrutta - 2012/01/11 11:16:18

12 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/11 11:35:53 (permalink)
    WOW.. looks like you found a honey hole

Can't wait to hear just how many are using that as their home

Thanks for sharing...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2012/01/11 11:38:32
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/11 11:37:20 (permalink)
    I have bought two properties similar to that, I always found myself standing there wondering what happened and why did they let the property go like that...

Love the old truck pic...
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/11 12:03:11 (permalink)
    WOW thats cool - or not...I love poking around old places like that...

I know this is off topic - how'd the place look structurally? Did it look like it could be saved?
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/13 13:38:32 (permalink)
    The new owner recently bought the 50 acre property and the house is the old homestead of a farmer. After his death his two daughters moved away and left it as is. Amazing that the clothes were even left behind in the closets. This house has been sittin empty for over 20 years. I guess the daughters finally decided to sell the plot.

Unfortunately, the house is too far gone for repair. Walls & ceilings are beginning to crumble from leaky roof, holes in the floorboards here & there. Yesterday the temps were cool - but I bet on a warm day the odors inside would make your eyes water from the stench of scat & urine.

I shot a porcupine about 3 weeks ago. On my travels the other day I came across it again (where I left it) and its carcus remained untouched. I figured no critter would want to mess with it. Imagine my surprise when I saw the porky skin laying smack dab in the middle of the living room floor!!

I know their travel route to/from to the nearby pipeline and will definitely put some time into this place.

Last night it was pouring rain here, I was half thinking that maybe the dogs were holed up on the dry couch/clothes piles.
    I was contemplating doing a SWAT raid on them..
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/13 13:59:46 (permalink)
    Amazing that the clothes were even left behind in the closets.

Look for Levi's they might be worth big bucks

wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/13 15:09:47 (permalink)
    "SWAT raid" thats funny...I've actually done that poking around an old abondoned place by McConnells Mill...

upon my "initial entry" I heard "stuff" moving in a back room...talk about a rush!

cant imagine what it would be like in a real combat situation...I give our boys all the credit in the world that do it on a regular basis playing for keeps...
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/13 15:44:05 (permalink)
    Hey Doc, you oughta see if'n Drake will snag ya a few of them Snappy duds hangin' in that closet.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/13 15:46:38 (permalink)
    This house clearly needs "the turtle man". Id pay good money to see that guy hand fetch a yodel-dog from one of those rooms closed off....LIVE ACTION! ...lmao.
    post edited by wayne c - 2012/01/13 15:47:16
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/15 13:36:09 (permalink)
    Bet you and the owner would find some things worth $ in there if you did some rummaging through all the stuff.  Bet there are some bills in a coffee can somewhere in that house. 

good luck on taking out the yotes...
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/16 09:40:59 (permalink)
    why did they leave the door open?
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/16 13:02:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Bet you and the owner would find some things worth $ in there if you did some rummaging through all the stuff.  Bet there are some bills in a coffee can somewhere in that house. 

good luck on taking out the yotes...

I'm guessing that like the two similar properties that I've bought, someone has already gotten the easy stuff. The first place we bought someone went through and dumped out all of the make up powder (old hiding place for jewelry) and cleaned all the shelves off and smashed a bunch of stuff. We still were able to clear $5K at auction for the stuff that was left though. This place may hold some treasures, but it will take some elbow grease and probably a respirator to get to it...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Canine Frat House 2012/01/16 17:41:10 (permalink)

I checked out the place yesterday, looking for tracks in the fresh snow - a bunny wabbit, and what looked like bobcat tracks were in the immediate area. Evidently the dawgs are not using the house at this time. But they are in the general area because they sometimes respond to my locater howls on the pipeline across the highway. It is mating season for the yotes now, so they tend to spread out a bit - in search of a mate and territory defense... Time will tell.

as far as hidden treasures, I don't think I want to filter through the scat piles to look for jewelry. I notices a few nice sized holes in the old plaster walls, not sure if they were caused by vandals or someone making a cash withdrawal after the farmer died...

I did pick up one antique item - a old style rake/thatcher that was on the porch. The first time I visited I left my gun in the truck. When I was about to step inside, I started to visualize a PeeO'd rabid racoon making a bee line for me - so I grabbed the rake to use as a self-defense item..

I figured noone wanted the rake since it was left outside, so I gave it a new home in my shed.
    p.s. - they made really good rakes back in da day...

later
    post edited by draketrutta - 2012/01/16 17:42:47
    Jump to: