Presque Isle

Author
Goatslife
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/29 01:04:26 (permalink)

Presque Isle

I'm planning a trip to take the family to presque isle and I'm looking for any help with places to tent / camp and also what time of year in the spring / summer is hot for fishing. I've heard great things about presque isle bay and I'm looking forward to exploring the bay. We like to fish for anything and everything. I'm just looking for general info so any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

18 Replies Related Threads

cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 07:56:21 (permalink)
    Google camping near Erie, PA, Girard, PA, Harborcreek, PA, etc. Avoid Moon Meadows--I am not even sure if they are still open.

As for fishing, it's Erie and something is always biting somewhere. Remember that spring time here can still be pretty cold. We have had snow on Mothers Day.

Are you bringing a boat? If so, know its limitations. The big water has its own rules. What may do well on the bay can get pounded to splinters on the lake.

Here is the link to the bay may map: http://www.fisherie.com/Map9.asp

psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3145
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 08:05:56 (permalink)
    If you have a boat, plan around middle of May to Early June for the smallmouth bite in the bay. Jigs tipped with minnow, free spooling live minnows, jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, wacky rigged worms, super flukes all work
    wanderer
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 08:46:09 (permalink)
    If you are an rv camper and they have some tent sites go south on 832 down from presque isle hills family campground have anything from water sewage and electric to just tent sites with nothing they have a website also is a koa down at mckean exit on 79 about 8 miles from presque isle correction they call hills family campground presque isle passage now
    post edited by wanderer - 2011/12/29 08:52:13
    wanderer
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 08:54:44 (permalink)
    go to presque isle passage website camp is just south of presque isle on 832 also is a koa campground at mckean exit off 79 about 8 miles from presque isle
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9828
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 09:44:33 (permalink)
    A buddy of mine goes to the KOA and said his kids love it. I think they fish the pond at the camp ground more than Erie/bay though. They have reasonable priced cabins too. There are a few others that I have been to, just fishing with buddies and family a while back. Kamp Eriez on Rt. 5, Erie Community Park (don't think they have single tent sites any more - was about 20 years ago). Not sure of the names of the others, one was at the off ramp of I90 at Sterritania Rd. another was on the East side, off of 90 at the North East ramp. Both of those were fine for a night rest for fishing. The one at Sterritania was like camping in an open field, I'd much rather have some trees around personally.

Not many, very close to Presque Isle. There was one at the entrance that closed a while back, as well as one tucked in behind Waldemeer, where we always camped growing up, but has been gone for a long time. It would have been nice if the state had taken over one of those, being a state park and all.
    rookie5781
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 10:04:11 (permalink)
    I am suprised no one mentioned Sara's. Right at the entrace of PI. They usually are pretty crowed as it's a prime spot. But here is their website.

http://sarascampground.com/

D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 12:39:22 (permalink)
    How about the one on the south pier? I'm not sure where you contact for that info...
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 13:30:46 (permalink)
    Found this on the ERIE PORT AUTHORITY WEBSITE, you can fish right off the south pier then....

Camping season runs May 1 – October 31. For information, call 814-454-5830.

Reservations accepted up to 6 months in advance. Lampe Marina Campground offers 42 waterfront camping sites and fun for the whole family. Nearby attractions include bike path, water taxi and Presque Isle State Park. Reserve today!

•42 Waterfront Campsites alongside Lampe Marina
    •All Sites include Water and Electric (30 & 50 amp)
    •Restroom Facilities and Dump Station
    •All sites are back-in sites
    •24-hour security
    •FREE public boat launch
    •Picnic Tables
    •Fire ring sites available
    •Bike Path to Erie’s Bayfront District and Presque Isle State Park
    •Dump Stations
    •Laundry
    •Shower Facilities
    Campground Rates:
    $30.00 Sunday thru Thursday.
    $35.00 on the weekends and Holidays.
    NEW Extended Stay Rates – Starting June 1, 2011: Two week stay – $420, One month stay -$600
    *Rates are based on one family per site (persons living under one household).
    *Season runs May – October
    Directions:
    Lampe Marina Campground is located on Erie’s Waterfront District at the foot of the Port Access Road.

From I-79, I-79 North onto the Bayfront Parkway. Proceed East to Port Access Road. North on Port Access Road to Lampe Campgrounds.

From I-90, Exit 32 North (East Side Access Highway) to Bayfront Parkway. Proceed North along the Port Access Road to Lampe Campground.

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/29 14:38:51 (permalink)
    There's no fish left in the bay anyway, at least not any without snaggin' scars, right Slick...

Seriously though any of the local campgrounds are close enough to take advantage of what the bay has to offer, find one that the family likes...

$600 a month? Wonder what you can rent a house or appartment for...
    Goatslife
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/30 01:21:56 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for all your help guys! You've renewed my faith in humanity! I'm really looking at trying to pitch a tent on a sandy beach like at Sara's, that just sounds so incredibly awesome... I will definitely heed the advice about going out on the main lake... I have a 16' Lund deep v which is a pretty stout boat but I respect the big lake... If I could get some teenage boys into a few 3+ pound smallies and a couple pike in a few days, the trip would be a smashing success. We fish hard and always put in a good effort so the fishing is important but never as important as the moments in between. Thanks again for all of your help! We are definitely going to come up in mid May and enjoy all the presque has to offer...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/30 01:25:30 (permalink)
    "I'm really looking at trying to pitch a tent on a sandy beach like at Sara's"

Just make sure there are no kids, or women around. They frown on that kinda thing up there.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/30 08:03:15 (permalink)
    B careful if you or yours go on any hikes through the trails , a friend of mine from work grandparents went on a hike at the peninsula last year and both got covered in ticks. i guess it was pretty creepy there were hundreds on their clothing and they had several that managed to attach to their bodys. probably issue each family member with a flame thrower or call in an air strike with napalm clearing the way !    
    dreldas
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/30 13:03:55 (permalink)
    If you are looking for bass, you should take a look around the internet for the goby. This is an invasive species that bass think are candy! They make rubber versions for anglers. A 16' deep v would do ok on the lake, just be sure to keep a weather eye. If the waves are over 3-4 feet, we head in. Don't forget about the perch and walleye...amazing on Lake Erie.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Presque Isle 2011/12/30 13:51:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: topdog99

ORIGINAL: rmcmillen09

B careful if you or yours go on any hikes through the trails , a friend of mine from work grandparents went on a hike at the peninsula last year and both got covered in ticks. i guess it was pretty creepy there were hundreds on their clothing and they had several that managed to attach to their bodys. probably issue each family member with a flame thrower or call in an air strike with napalm clearing the way !    

erie health dept states that 67% of ticks on presque isle infected with lyme desease.

scary and i thought erie bedbug infestations were nasty.........

copied from erie dept health website..

Ticks are blood-sucking parasites that are a natural part of the grassy and woods environments of Erie County. Some of these ticks are important to public health because they can carry organisms that cause disease.

The most important and probably well-known tick in Erie County is the deer tick. They are typically found in areas north of Interstate 90. The deer tick is the carrier of the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease. Studies on Presque Isle State Park have indicated that approximately 67% of the deer ticks are infected with Lyme Disease. Sampling of deer ticks in other areas of Erie County indicate a much lower infection rate of between 1% and 5%.

The best prevention is to avoid a bite. Ticks are actively seeking a host from spring through late fall each year. Proper clothing in tick habitat includes long pants tucked into socks, a long-sleeved shirt and perhaps a hat. Use a repellant labeled for clothing application rather than applying chemicals to your skin.

If a tick is attached to the body, it can be removed with a pair of fine-point tweezers. Save the tick for identification. The Erie County Department of Health has a free identification service. Research indicates that in most cases, the tick must be attached for 36 - 48 hours or more before the Lyme disease bacterium can be transmitted.

The markers of Lyme Disease include flu-like symptoms such as chills, fever, headache, fatigue, joint pain and swollen lymph glands. Most often these follow the appearance of a “bull’s-eye” rash, usually at the site of the tick bite and may last for 3 weeks or more. The treatment for Lyme Disease and most other tick-borne diseases is a course of antibiotics. Consult your physician following any tick bite. For further assistance, call the Erie County Department of Health at (814) 451-6700.

Additional information can be found at the American Lyme Disease Foundation and the Center for Disease Control websites.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information is distributed by Erie County Department of Health, 606 W. 2nd Street, Erie, PA 16507, 814-451-6700, www.ecdh.org

I wouldn't worry much ..... The ticks they had on them were most likely wood ticks ( much larger than a deer tick ) and to my knowledge do not carry Lyme disease . Unfortunately the wood ticks do hurt when they embed into your skin . On the other hand deer ticks about the size of a #2 pencil lead tip are a real problem although should not be found in large populations like wood ticks . IMO anywhere that has swampy land will be infested with wood ticks here in Western PA .
    anythingbuttrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Presque Isle 2012/01/05 19:19:45 (permalink)
    if u go west on rt 5 there is a few campgrounds that take tent camp. there is a camp ground on the right going into presque. n if u are fishing from shore the north pier is a great place to be opening day of bass.4 to 6 pound smallmouth on avarage. just nightcrawlers on the bottem
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Presque Isle 2012/01/05 19:31:25 (permalink)
    Shouldn't have to worry too much about ticks this time of year. Too cold for them.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Presque Isle 2012/01/05 22:26:15 (permalink)
    FYI to the goby post, it is illegal to use as bait or retain possession of live gobies. Saw a guy get fined just for using the things and having them in a bucket
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Presque Isle 2012/01/07 00:11:57 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-MAC

How about the one on the south pier? I'm not sure where you contact for that info...

I would not recommend the one on the South Pier. Of course, I grew up near there, and I know where the campgrounds came from.

On the other hand, the land there probably glows, so you won't need lanterns.
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2012/01/07 00:15:30
    Jump to: