2B SLUGS/ARCHERY ONLY

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
startinout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 2B SLUGS/ARCHERY ONLY 2012/01/06 19:50:02 (permalink)
I'd agree there are less deer in the part that I hunt, but having said that I think it's more weather related so far than anything.  All the property that I hunt is thickets and why would the deer be in the thickets when it's nice and warm.  I didn't see any deer the first two weeks of gun season in three trips and this first cold spell the beginning of this week I saw deer everywhere.  As far as firearms are concerned, I could care less whether I have to use a rifle, shotgun, or bow.  I've killed way more deer in my 20 years of hunting with a shotgun than anything else.  But starting to catch up with my rifle and bow.  Just gotta learn to be flexible with the new age pennsylvania game commission.  :).  I feel that with all of the posted property in 2B, there's no possible way you could decimate the deer herd even if you tried in most places.  Any of my places that I hunt in 2B, there's ten acres of no hunting posted property bordering every five of huntable land.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: 2B SLUGS/ARCHERY ONLY 2012/01/15 19:36:41 (permalink)
There is a reason that the deer are in the thickets & that is IMO the amount of pressure on what little land that is open to hunting.When the PGC first was going around trying to promote H.R. they admitted that the public land was going to be hit hard,but in thier opinion that once hunters killed so many deer in an area that the hunters then would move to another area which would give the overharvested area a chance to recover.Thier therory was to let the hunters with access, kill as many as possible, in hopes of reducing the herd in the whole area.The exact quote that was given by our WCO was"nature abhors a vacuum" & that deer would move in to repopulate that area. I don't think that they considered the fact that right or wrong most people either won't or can't go to new places. Specificaly if they own a camp & wish to hunt near it or are shy about "knocking on doors".People that own land or lease it are glad to see this situation because they are getting more deer pushed onto thier land. One thing that I have noticed is that the phrase "that is why it is called hunting not shooting" is not floating around as much as it was when people thought that the relative shortage of deer was temporary.As far as the amount of big deer going up, there were plenty of big bucks shot before A.R.but not nearly as much publicity.My own thought is, What difference does it make to me, if someone does shoots a big one 10 miles away,but we see only non-shooters if we see any? sam
TastyTrout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: 2B SLUGS/ARCHERY ONLY 2012/02/04 12:46:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ridgehunter

The majority of the deer in 2B is either on private property with NO hunting access or in the suburban neighborhoods with NO hunting access due to safety zones. 

That's a very valid point that should absolutely be addressed. I live in Monroeville/Holiday Park area. There is quite a bit of land to hunt and more than enough deer to shoot. The problem is most of this area is posted. I've tried to contact multiple property owners to ask permission and have been denied. Even the land that isn't posted that does get hunted well I've been denied permission. The people that are hunting there are doing so illegally and I'm just not that type of guy.

How is the deer population supposed to be controlled in these areas when hunters are permitted to do what we do best, HUNT????

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
Jimmy D Moore

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: