Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman

Author
PennDude
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/26 18:40:43 (permalink)

Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman

I mainly fish for bass, walleye and the like and would like to head up to Erie this January for some steelhead fishing. I can admit that I'm out of my element when it comes to trout fishing. I recently obtained a 10'6" noodle rod with a Pflueger reel and 6lb mono(may use a 4lb leader?). The problem I'm having is with terminal tackle. I'm totally out of my element when it comes to knowing what floats to use and how to tie a on a float so that I can adjust it. I've done some "googling" and all the advice and tutorials I've found is directed at salmon and steelhead fishermen along the west coast(big tackle).

Most specifically I'd like to know what size float I need and how to tie it on, because I never want to be "that guy" using a giant float and scaring all the fish away. Is there a sticky on the forum for this type of information?

Thanks in advance for any advice and Happy New Year.

-PennDude

8 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2011/12/26 20:32:36 (permalink)
    I use a float that is about the size of a small grape that is pegged anywhere on the line
    They have a slot in the side where the line goes then a plastic peg holds it in.
    6lb mono should be good unless the water is perfectly clear-then use a 4lb fluorocarbon leader

bigcountryhuntr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2011/12/27 09:14:15 (permalink)
    I use a glo-bob bobber. Its a small foam bobber shaped like a balloon that is a flourescent color (pink/yellow/orange) on top and white on the bottom. They have a small piece of lead you thread your line through that is pulled out from bottom of float and can be adjusted in 5 seconds for any depth. I feel they are excellent bobbers since they already have weight(the lead) attached to the bobber to add casting distance and accuracy without having to put split shot on. As for line line its based on the water clarity for me. But I've always felt comfortable using 6lb mono even when its crystal clear. If your are new to the sport like I was a few years ago just go to poor richards bait shop in morning and they will steer you in the right direction. My go to setup:(actually sounds kinda like yours) 10 ft noodle rod, pflueger xt supreme reel, 6lb mono, #14 blood red/gold daiichi hooks, and glo-bob bobbers. As for bait/tackle: single eggs, egg sacs, skein(all of these bought/donated money from poor richards), panther martins 1/4 oz, maggots, wax worms, and some marabou jigs(hand tied with some flashabou). If you want to use just artificial all the snaggers use little cleos. If you want to fly fish at all I'm sure 100,000 people will repsond with helpful advice.

Good Luck

O yeah and don't forget to say "FISH ON and the direction the fish is pulling COMING DOWN, COMING UP etc..." especially when the streams are crowded so others close to you can reel in so you don't get snagged.

If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2011/12/27 11:38:20 (permalink)
    I use the Drennan or various others that are like the Drennan.  They are adjustable on the line but you need to also buy a pack of silicone tubing to fit over the ends of the floats.  They are normally clear on the bottom with a orange or chartreuse color on top.  As far as size I normally use a 4 gram but other sizes work fine.  The all wood Ravens are also good.

Below the float I do use the smallest swivel I can find then tie a couple of feet of leader material below that.  The plan is I will loose my hook and split shot before the float hopefully.  I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but minnies hooked thru the lips work fine also a lot of the time.

Stop at BAC or Poor Richards on the way to the creeks and tell them what gear you have and ask them what you need to finish it off.

Also if you can find some to tag along with it might make the learning curve a little easier.  Where to you live at?
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2011/12/27 16:44:12 (permalink)
    One of the most annoying things in the world is when people use a float in the wrong conditions (especially fly fisherman)...you are on the right track by asking.

Given the event of low clear water, using a "flatlined" (no weight or float) single egg is deadly.  Should you need a small, non intrusive float, the drennan waggler in the smallest size is a great tool, as well.

If the water is up and green, selecting a float like the drennan loafer, or similar style, is hard to beat.  Get yourself some float caps so u can peg it correctly, you will need a larger float cap for it (the red colored ones you get in the multi pack)  If you are doing a large amount of switching baits, using a slit-side pegged styrofoam float is good, but they can be intrusive if the water is too clear.  Use discretion.

Put on top float cap, thread float on through bottom peg, slide on bottom float cap, attach both, and you can slide the float up and down.  The pegging material is more or less elastic "surgical tubing" that will hug the stems of the float with your line through it.  Works very well.

I do a lot of jigging with floats, I have found medium sized Styrofoam pegged floats work very well with jigs underneath, cast, and jig in place taking up slack as necessary, you are more or less shaking your rod.

Go buy about 50 Daiichi 1150 size 16 hooks.  It is all you need for sacs and singles.  If the water is up, you can go to something larger, or if you are fishing something like a gulp minnow a size 8 1150 works great nose hooked as well.

Get the super doux 6 compartment split shot selector, along with some BB shot from water gremlin, you should be covered, large shot up top, small shot on bottom, 2 large shot if you are bottom bouncing sacks without a float.

post edited by Loomis - 2011/12/27 16:47:00
    PennDude
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2011/12/28 02:14:16 (permalink)
    Wow, you guys have been a huge help. Thanks so much.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2011/12/30 18:29:42 (permalink)
    What pghmarty said 
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2011/12/30 18:31:03 (permalink)
    yep and I like to use emerald shiners for bait 
    chosenfrozen1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Couple questions from a novice Steelhead fisherman 2012/01/05 20:31:04 (permalink)
    float fishing guide at www.raventackle.com give it a look
    Jump to: