Alaska.. not fishing..

Author
Blowchowski
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 577
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/15 18:14:40 (permalink)

Alaska.. not fishing..

You all may have seen some of the past photo threads I've posted of fishing and hunting trips to Alaska. This year we took a slightly different approach to the trip and ending up going later in the year for some Sitka Black tail hunting. We chose the very end of October and into the first week of November. By most accounts, this is the typical start of the rut and hopefully would provide some good opportunities during our visit.

As we drove to the Pittsburgh airport, there was a light coating of snow on the ground. Later that day upon our arrival in Ketchikan, the temperature was 51. Ahhh,, Alaska!

Most direct routing from PIT was through Chicago to Seattle, then on to Ketchikan. After a night in Ketchikan, we flew over to Prince of Whales island to let the adventure begin.

A turbine Otter operated by Promech was the ride over. If you've never been on a float plane, its one hell of a fun ride! Boating combined with aviation.

Not the greatest conditions, but typical in AK.

Upon our arrival, on POW, this is the first picture I took.

Our intentions were to get as much video as we could on this hunt. We were somewhat successful in getting some black bear footage, but never really connected with a blacktail kill on film. Unless you have a dedicated camera guy, its really tough to do. The typical terrain throughout Se looks pretty much like this:

We targeted clear cuts and made a couple of trip up to the alpine. The alpine is basically a mountain top without much cover. The typical cut looked something like this..

We would sit on the upper end, call for a while, and see what showed. On occasion, you'd spot one coming out to feed. The young ones really had no fear of humans. The mature ones were mostly indifferent to humans as well, but would steer clear of you. My buddy had a staring contest with this young doe. the doe won, and we moved on...

She, or one just like her was within 20 yards of that same spot on our way out..

The Sitka Blacktail respond pretty well to calling during the rut. We were there a it early for this years rut, so we had to rely on spot and stalk and sit and wait.

Our first trip to the alpine resulted in a smallish spike. We needed camp meat and this was it. With the help of snow, it was spotted about 250 yards out bedded on a hillside. After about a half our stalk to get to within 100 yards, it went down with a single shot from Ron.

Then the work began. We quartered it, packed it and headed down the mountain surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery...

P.O.W. still has some significant logging going on. Here's a stump we came across. They were literally everywhere.. You can't really tell from the picture, but this one was at least 10' across.

How about a bridge made out of logs?

One trip to the the center of the island brought us to this peak.

There were a couple of eagles I tried to get into the picture..

Same birds...

They were everywhere. Majestic. Beautiful.

Gerald, if you're reading this, this is my first one. I think I said in your thread I got one a little bigger than yours. Re-visiting the picture, I'm not so sure! :grin:

The rest of the kills..

We spent a good bit of time on the water as well. Did the crab pot thing and there were shrimp pots available but stuck to the crabbing. Got just one keeper, but caught bunches of undersized crab. Fun thing to do!

The waterfowl were everywhere. We had hoped to each get a harlequin, but only saw a few. The scoters and goldeneye kept us busy.

On one late afternoon heading out of the inlet, I caught a bit of movement out of the corner of my eye.. It was a guy in a beat up aluminum skiff, in dark clothing. He was waving us down and appeared to be in trouble. Turns out he was on his way home from work, when his motor crapped out. It was a 15 horse johnson that took a gulp of water apparently. We exchanged pleasantries told him where were were from and he offered us a beer from the 18 pack he had in the boat. I noticed no oar, but there was a life jacket. At that point he said he dropped his oar about a half hour ago, and had been adrift since. The tide was going out, and there appeared to be a pretty good current going out... Then, !!! He says, hey, you guys are duck hunting, if you've got something to do, I'll be alright, go ahead and do what you were going to do! Now there a real salt of the earth, dyed in the wool Alaskan! I won't post a picture of him here, but here's a picture I took approaching his home. Hows that for a commute to and from town? About 5 miles by boat.

Anyway....

While there we were about visit a friend of mine from work who has a place in Craig. he put on quite a spread for us. Crab and shrimp cakes, Alder planked Coho, shripm, King salmon lox... What a feast.

And before we knew it, the trip was over....

The harbor.

Our ride back to Ketchikan.

Hope you enjoyed to pictures!

Blowchowski

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..

25 Replies Related Threads

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/15 18:44:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing! Hope to have my own Alaska pictures in another year and a half or so!

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/15 18:53:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Blowchowski

...... If you've never been on a float plane, its one hell of a fun ride! Boating combined with aviation.

Gotta agree with this.... rides this past summer I'll never, ever forget.

Great pics and story. My dream realized this past summer - only created another one---- To go back.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/15 19:00:47 (permalink)
    Beautiful pics. The scenery is just awesome.
    Want to get up there so baddddddd.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/15 19:15:54 (permalink)
    Great Pics. Been there and sure would like to go back before I'am done.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/15 20:31:28 (permalink)
    Absolutely awesome !! Great stuff. I will have my chance soon , I hope.

The more I see from you who have been there the more I want to go.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/15 22:22:55 (permalink)
    Bucket Listed. Such a gorgeous place.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 07:21:59 (permalink)
    Indeeed a beautiful place! You all looked to have had a great time. Are the blacks as big as whitetails or smaller?
    Thanks for sharing your experiance and great pictures...:)

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 07:51:32 (permalink)
     awesome!!
    enjoyed the pics.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 08:06:29 (permalink)
    Glad you guys liked them.. It sure was fun doing a trip like that. Knuke, whats taking you so long man?? The thing about those trips is, is that they're over before you know it.. Mika, I'd have to say the blacktail are just about the same size as the whitetail. The legs from the knee joint down are a little more sturdy looking, but other than than, the same.

SwimFishieSwim
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 133
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 08:49:51 (permalink)
    Great story and even better pics.
    I am admiring each one of you who have been there and plan to go myself one year.
    It looks like heaven!
    LOVETOSHOOT
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 09:17:23 (permalink)
    That looks like an awesome well planned trip! Nice job with the pictures you shared and the story. I am sure that the memories are even more vivid for you than the pictures!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 09:59:42 (permalink)
    ski,what did you do with all that venison?Do you ship it home or donate it to the locals?
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 11:24:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting your trip. Beautiful pics!
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 12:57:07 (permalink)
    Great pics, thanks for sharing.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    CroatianSensation
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 16:07:21 (permalink)
    My Alaska dream is about to come true real soon as well- Alaska 2013 Baby!!!....I'm ALWAYS envious of your pics Blow.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2559
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 18:03:13 (permalink)
    I really enjoy post's like this. Hate the one's where guys go at each other back and forth.
    I made one trip to Alaska back in 2005. Had a chance to go back late this summer but due to some personal issues, was unable to do so. Sure hope I get another chance. Loved the time I spent there.
    Just wondering how many people go to Alaska for some R & R, don't enjoy themselves, and vow never to return.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 19:57:15 (permalink)
    Don't think I would want to return home!!! Very nice!!!

God does not take from your life, the time spent fishing!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/16 22:53:09 (permalink)
    Great pics and story, I'll just have to live vicariously through you don't see the wife being on board with a trip lime that....
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/17 04:00:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for putting up the great pics! Getting older, and don't know if I'll make it up there, and it's one of only two states I haven't visited. Those shrimp and crab cakes made me hungry.
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2011/12/17 04:01:17
    wetfoot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/17 04:25:32 (permalink)
    Thank you for posting the pics. Doubt if i will ever get to a place like that but it was great visiting it through your post Thanks again
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/17 08:50:03 (permalink)
    This time of year, at least for me is the beginning of cabin fever season. I do some deer hunting, a little duck hunting when I can, but for the most part, I'm not a steel header, never got into the muzzle loader thing, and as each year goes by, I'm liking the cold less and less. ( Your high school teacher would call that a run on sentence! )

I find myself with a little bit of time to put therm up online, to share the experience, even though pictures really do Alaska no justice. Plus, I've known a couple of the guys on that trip for over 40 years... I've always enjoyed the pictures on this board.. There are some VERY talented people who contribute from time to time to share their experiences and its always a pleasure to see what they saw through their eyes. Shots of the kids, fathers and sons, buddys, the wife, camp, humorous photoshopped ones.. Grandpa, you all know who you are. All awesome. I sometimes sit at the computer and don't know what to say, so I often times don't, but always enjoy the "moment".

I've been around this site off and on for about 10 years, and have been registered since 2003. Really, the first web site I've followed since learning how to use the 'net. It's kind of interesting to watch people grow,... mature, myself included (I hope).

Anywayyyyy, I'm glad you guys liked the pictures, and hope that some of you who have things to share, please do! Camp? Nieces first bluegill? Fishing with that buddy you've known for 40 years?

They're always nice to see.

Almost forgot.. We brought back one box of meat and some ducks. there were lots of people interested in having the venison.

Safe and Merry Christmas everyone!

flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/17 23:53:20 (permalink)
    great pics & it looked like you had a great time, I have been there twice in the last 6 years & my group is going back again in sept of 2012 & looking at your pics gets me ready to get on a plane & go now but we will wait till sept it just a long wait. thanks for the great pics
    krafish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/19 11:50:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing a dream and giving me one a the same time. I may never get there but certainly enjoyed yours. Thanks for taking the time and effort.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/19 16:47:49 (permalink)
    Simply awesome!
    I miss that place!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Alaska.. not fishing.. 2011/12/20 14:30:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing again. Your pictorial and story was awesome as always.
    Jump to: