reel strength

Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2011/12/01 07:44:55 (permalink)

reel strength

Just bought a 5'6" "ml" diawa beefstick spinning rod for my wife for catfishing, carp, and possibly some saltwater use. The rod is a ml but it super stout more like a mh. I still need to get a reel for it, I plan on getting some type of bait runner reel for it. My question is, I'm gonna put #65 lb power pro on it and I already have the 300yd spool of power pro. Is a bigger reel of the same brand considerably more sturdy? Can't decide if I want like a 45 series or do I need like a 50/55 for such heavy line. I've seen some serious flex in the body of a 40 series w only 20lb power pro. Should I get a cheaper model in a bigger size, or just spend the money on a reel w an all metal body like a shimano. Any suggestions?
post edited by FishinGuy - 2011/12/01 10:51:48

10 Replies Related Threads

accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/01 19:36:12 (permalink)
    I have what would be considered a heavier duty setup and its only used for carp. I am not familiar with the rod you mentioned but in carp fishing the strength of the rod is usually in the test curve which mine is 3.5lbtc and I use a 12 foot rod and a 9 foot for stalking. As far as the reel goes I had a base model shimano and upgraded to a higher end shimano baitrunner and there are quite a few differences. The line lay will be much greater with a more expensive model which allows farther casting, the gearing is a lot smoother and the overall design seems to be made for harder abuse from larger fish. I would have to ask what is the usual distance you plan to fish at and what is the most you will fish at? Also there are two baitrunner styles. A rear drag baitrunner simply has to turn the handle for it to engage and a front drag baitrunner means you have to turn the front manually by hand to engage but its a small turn to engage the main drag. These are referred to as quick drags. I used to use 65lbs test braid but I fish 50lb now and it handles the job just fine. Its a TON easier on casting than the 65lb. When shopping also search for how much the reels hold. My bigger ones hold 600 yards of line on them a piece.When you said a bigger model of the same brand do you mean the same model or a totally different model that is larger? Can you post a link to which ones you were checking out and maybe I can give better feedback on them.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/01 19:45:29 (permalink)
    I just looked at the models I think you are referring to. http://www.basspro.com/Daiwa®-Regal®-Plus-Bite-N’-Run™-Spinning-Reels/product/11090705010816/244657 Honestly the other issue would be going to a larger reel would not match the rod size. Some of the larger reels say the 50-55 may seem a tad heavy. My friend bought the 45 for his 6 foot rod and likes it very much. He is using 20lb braid on it and the reels seems very smooth and has handle some decent size fish so far.
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/02 09:25:10 (permalink)

A buddy of mine uses inexpensive gear when catfishing due to losing a few setups. This was broke by a 17# channel cat, but it did last ~2 years and land several larger fish than the one that broke it.

just my $.02
    Chris

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/02 09:44:27 (permalink)
    That regal is exactly the one I was looking at, due to the price. I got her a shorty because she's only 5ft tall and prefers the shorter models. She does have a couple other to handle distance casting, but almost all our flatheads last year came from less than 50ft off the bank. And I plan on doing most of our catfishing from a boat next season. I was basically wondering if a 55 vs a 45 of the same model would be considerably stronger. This setup may see some big fish within the next year, James river blues and possibly sw Fla tarpon in spring. The main reason for the heavy line though is snags and rocks, we lost a few good fish last season when 50lb braid got tore up on rocks. The other model I'm considering is the shimano bait runner, but that is a pretty expensive option for me.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/02 20:02:55 (permalink)
    I was going to say if you don't plan on getting them until next year maybe I can meet up with you at twin lakes in the spring or something and show you a few in person so you can see what you are getting if you want. One thing most people think braid will handle rocks. It does not at all. If you fish in heavy rock braid is not a good line to have. I watched a video a few years back that changed my ideas on this. Take a piece of mono and rub it on a rock with your hands and it will last a long time take a piece of braid and you get 3 strokes out of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-SqIsZaE6s
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/02 20:04:59 (permalink)
    To answer your question about strength a 45 to a 55 the 55 should be stronger compared to the smaller version not because its beefed up but because its made with probably a different gearing and such to handle larger fish. I would have to check to be certain though.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/03 08:07:44 (permalink)
    To me, the pros outweigh the cons when it comes to braid. Casting distance, lack of resistance in current and smooth handling all keep me coming back to braid. I use it from 3lb up to 50 and it works great for nearly everything. I already own 5 different bait runners but they're all 40 and 45's I've never had much experience w the larger bait runners. I guess ill just get her a 50 series then huh? Assuming the line capacity is good enough. Thanks for the input.
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/07 16:51:40 (permalink)
    Look into the Cabela's Salt Striker Baitfeeder reel. It comes in sizes 40, 65, and 80. Solid metal design, good gearing, large spool, and an awesome bait runner. $70 is all you'll spend unless you wait for it to go on sale. I have a 65 and 80 on my catfish rods and my tourney partner uses dual 65s. We love em.

I'd rather be fishin...
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/08 09:10:10 (permalink)
    Thanks a bunch wrighter that helps a lot, although kinda indirectly... I own a 40 series saltstriker that I run 20lb power pro on and I almost blew it up on a 12lb James river blue in heavy current. There was very serious flex in the body if the reel with a visible gap between the body and sideplate under the load of the fish. If 65s are,working perfect for you in tourneys then I should be fine w just a larger bodied reel. Thanks for all the input.
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: reel strength 2011/12/11 03:05:36 (permalink)
    We fish for flatheads mostly. Unless we're looking to eat some channels. It sounds like it could just be the equipment size that you're working with. Towards the end of summer we pulled in a number of 15-30lb flats from the Allegheny on the reels using 50-65lb Power Pro. The big ones are when the heavy equipment becomes vital. Some of those flats still fought for 15 minutes or so.

It was in the June tournament this year that I decided to upgrade my gear. I was using a Zebco Hawg Seeker 7ft m/h with a heavy reel at the time. A 14lb channel cat pulled it right out of the holder and up over a boulder before I managed to grab the pole. After that I had to go with 8-10ft poles and salt sized bait runners.

I'd rather be fishin...
    Jump to: