Just trying not to screw up

Author
Indyflier
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/21 11:44:40 (permalink)

Just trying not to screw up

I am originally from Erie and but have only been flyfishing for steelhead over the Holidays for a few years. I monitor this forum regularly and it has been very helpful (and entertaining). I remember a couple years ago reading a very good article on the web that may have been written by Cold. If anyone has the site, could you please respond. I thought it had a Hindu theme to it.

The second thing I was hoping for help on, assuming I foul hook a fish, what am I supposed to do? I know I am not supposed to fight the fish, but am I supposed to cut the line, give a couple of yanks on the pole to try to dislodge the hook, or do something else? Like my subject line, just trying not to screw up (or be the subject of your future posts about some knuckleheaded amateur). Thanks for any help.

22 Replies Related Threads

PONDBEARSHWILLY
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 12:02:56 (permalink)
    I myself had a huge brown on and put up a hard fight in a deep pocket. When it came closer to the surface I noticed I had him hooked in the dorsal fin and I tightened my drag and broke him off.It was my first hook up with a brown in the tribs that I know of and wish it was hooked fair cuz it was a brut.Most people would have fought and landed it but I'm just not like that.If I know for sure it's fouled I break em off.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 12:22:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Indyflier

I am originally from Erie and but have only been flyfishing for steelhead over the Holidays for a few years. I monitor this forum regularly and it has been very helpful (and entertaining). I remember a couple years ago reading a very good article on the web that may have been written by Cold. If anyone has the site, could you please respond. I thought it had a Hindu theme to it.

The second thing I was hoping for help on, assuming I foul hook a fish, what am I supposed to do? I know I am not supposed to fight the fish, but am I supposed to cut the line, give a couple of yanks on the pole to try to dislodge the hook, or do something else? Like my subject line, just trying not to screw up (or be the subject of your future posts about some knuckleheaded amateur). Thanks for any help.

this might be what you were looking for. there are 5 parts, this is the first.

http://dharmaofthedrift.blogspot.com/2010/09/lake-erie-steelhead-fishing-primer-part.html

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Indyflier
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 12:28:01 (permalink)
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. And thank you to the other posts helping out on the foul hooked fish.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 14:23:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: topdog99

Its OK and good to land a foul hooked fish

most important motive is removing the fly/hook so the fish can continue living.

do not break it off like some idiots do...

I guess I'm an idiot. I try to yank the hook out, usually successfully. If not, point the rod at the fish and yank harder. I think the idiots are the guys who spend half an hour trying to land a tail hooked fish, then let it go floating down the creek when they finally get their precious fly back, then turn around and say what a great fight! What do the WCO folks say about this? Doc???
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 14:25:51 (permalink)

thanks for proving my point....

What?
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 14:38:32 (permalink)

I think most would agree with me that the correct thing to do is to try to yank the fly out or break it off. Don't cut the line.

From Don Mathews website:

Don't Play a Foul Hooked Fish

If you foul hook (accidentally snag) a steelhead, snap the line. Tackle is cheap. Most foul hooked steelhead are very difficult to control, resulting in injury or unnecessary stress to the fish. Once foul hooked, they will leap from the water and thrash about, spooking the other fish. If you repeatedly fight foul hooked fish in a crowded section, you'll become very unpopular. Also, you will find most game wardens look at this practice unfavorably.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 14:41:32 (permalink)
    With the current water temperatures, it is unlikely that you are going to fight even a tailhooked fish "to exhaustion". Put some extra heat on them ( most keep their drags much lower than they need be ), land it quickly, or it breaks off. At least make a reasonable effort to land the fish, and remove the hardware. It not about "saving your precious fly". It's about not leaving it, and perhaps 2-3 feet of line, and having that same fish drug by the tail over & over.

Is fighting a fair hooked fish for 5 minutes or more ( on 2-4lb line ) REALLY any less "exhausting" to the fish. Than fighting a foulhooked fish for the same amount of time, or less?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 14:50:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

With the current water temperatures, it is unlikely that you are going to fight even a tailhooked fish "to exhaustion". Put some extra heat on them ( most keep their drags much lower than they need be ), land it quickly, or it breaks off. At least make a reasonable effort to land the fish, and remove the hardware. It not about "saving your precious fly". It's about not leaving it, and perhaps 2-3 feet of line, and having that same fish drug by the tail over & over.

Is fighting a fair hooked fish for 5 minutes or more ( on 2-4lb line ) REALLY any less "exhausting" to the fish. Than fighting a foulhooked fish for the same amount of time, or less?

Spoon, I guess I skipped that part. If I can get the fish in immediately, I will. Which happens in the winter pretty often. If I do break it off, it's 99% of the time at the hook. Guess my knots suck.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2080
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 15:02:00 (permalink)
    I just crank down the drag and try to get the hook out w a couple good yanks, if it stays hooked up get it in as fast as,you can to unhook and release, if it breaks off oh well.. if you're in a crowded spot you can try to horse it away from most of the people so they may continue fishing.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 16:44:18 (permalink)

Stop making sense.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 17:24:28 (permalink)
    I'm with spoon on this,it's the best for everyone including the fish.
    camemup
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 19:25:19 (permalink)
    simply point rod tip at fish and pull straight back...

welcome back halupka, lmao
    just keep a few
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/21 20:47:43 (permalink)
    I usually carry a 7' long handled spear and when I get the fish close I stick it. Doesn't matter where you sink the spear as long as the spears barbs penetrate deep enough. Then it's just a matter of pulling on the spear handle to get it close enough to unhook your fly. You never want to release a fish without first removing the hook or at least trying. After removing the hook,step firmly on the fish with your boot and very quickly yank on the spear handle to remove the prongs.note:it is very important to quickly remove the spear with a firm yank to prevent any further damage to fish.Then just simply toss it back in the stream. This is a proven safe and effective catch and release method.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 08:40:37 (permalink)
    when you know it's fouled, gently bounce the rod a little (slack tight slack tight)  and often times the hook will come out

if not, put heavy pressure on and haul him is as fast as possible .
    If large fish in good health, and dorsal hooked , get it over with quick, cause you prob'ly ain't gonna get him to net or beach in a reasonable amount of time...unless you're using anchor rope for line
      ...put HEAVY pressure on til he comes in side ways , breaks off, or hook bends and pulls out

use some brains, if the fish can be hauled in in a reasonable amount of time, do so and remove the hook.
    if not, point the rod at the fish as he runs and ideally the hook will bend and pull out, next best is break off at the knot 

..L.T.A.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 09:27:45 (permalink)

I thought this makes the most sense . I don't understand the logic behind snapping the line , yanking , etc ... . Wouldn't that cause more trauma to the fish ? It seems to make more sense landing them quickly and gently removing the hook  .
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 10:11:22 (permalink)
    I just point it straight at the fish and let it go slack.  I'd say 90% of the time it comes right off.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 12:47:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fish5000

I thought this makes the most sense . I don't understand the logic behind snapping the line , yanking , etc ... . Wouldn't that cause more trauma to the fish ? It seems to make more sense landing them quickly and gently removing the hook  .

If you foul hook (accidentally snag) a steelhead, snap the line. Tackle is cheap. Most foul hooked steelhead are very difficult to control, resulting in injury or unnecessary stress to the fish. Once foul hooked, they will leap from the water and thrash about, spooking the other fish. If you repeatedly fight foul hooked fish in a crowded section, you'll become very unpopular. Also, you will find most game wardens look at this practice unfavorably.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 12:53:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: genieman77

when you know it's fouled, gently bounce the rod a little (slack tight slack tight)  and often times the hook will come out

if not, put heavy pressure on and haul him is as fast as possible .
    If large fish in good health, and dorsal hooked , get it over with quick, cause you prob'ly ain't gonna get him to net or beach in a reasonable amount of time...unless you're using anchor rope for line
    ...put HEAVY pressure on til he comes in side ways , breaks off, or hook bends and pulls out

use some brains, if the fish can be hauled in in a reasonable amount of time, do so and remove the hook.
    if not, point the rod at the fish as he runs and ideally the hook will bend and pull out, next best is break off at the knot 

..L.T.A.

Exactly what I do Genie. But I've seen guys at 20 mile snagging fish in the tail, and actually playing it for a long time, and then bragging about what a great "fight" it was.
    camemup
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 13:54:20 (permalink)

who is this "halupka" every one speaks of?

ask commander man... he knows everything about Jim; it's quite pathetic that he keeps up with his life.  Just goes to show you how lonely the guy really is; living vicariously through others.
    moedude
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 14:48:15 (permalink)
    If the fly won't pull out I land the fish as quickly and gentle as possible and carefully unhook it. I've never seen one go belly up. I fear leaving a long length of line can cause more harm such as tangling around the fish or a log.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/22 18:50:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

I think most would agree with me that the correct thing to do is to try to yank the fly out or break it off. Don't cut the line.

If anybody has any questions on snagging fish Don would be the man to talk with. Expert in the field.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Just trying not to screw up 2011/11/23 12:09:22 (permalink)
    Couldn't agree more I try getting them off at least 30 seconds after hooking. There is just too much stress to the fish when you foul hook them
    ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Jump to: