Bear Tracks and Trout Bums

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/15 00:29:16 (permalink)

Bear Tracks and Trout Bums

Had the weekend to myself so I headed north to get ready for bear season and a little R&R in the woods.

Got out of my truck and found these tracks running right through the center of camp...gotta be a good sign, right?

A little melted out, but still good size...

And now...to the water! Beautiful day to be out...though the brilliant sun provided for warm comfortable breezes, the bare trees stood evident that the change of seasons was complete, and that these days would become fewer and farther between...

Still, a magnificent day astream...

It didn't take long for the magic to happen...

Good fish and with the warmer temps, a little on the frisky side...this guy slammed a Prince nymph...none of that "sipping" stuff.

Another good hit on a Picket Pin...

And speaking of "frisky," I saw this fish hanging on the outside of the hole when I arrived. Experience tells us that these fish want nothing to do with us, so I didn't even bother casting to it. Its tail looked like it had been roughed up on the stocking truck. Finally, the bite slowed up and I dropped a nymph on its nose. It quickly gobbled it up and the fight ensued.

Got it to hand and took a look at the tail...nasty stuff. I would learn later in the weekend that this was likely due to a mating ritual among spawning fish...yeesh.

Slowly worked nearly a mile of stream before calling it a day and heading back to camp for a bite to eat and a nap before the hockey game...

Broke camp early Sunday and headed home, but not before spending the day on some new water with this "trout bum"...

As we exchanged greetings, this youngster popped up from its bed, not more than 10 yards behind DT and me...must've been that Macanundo Scent Lok DT was sporting...he stood around for a good five minutes before I took a "shot" at him...

The Maestro at work...I think he picked up two before I even got my feet wet...

My only fish of the outing...

Aside from the frequent wind gusts, the weather was awesome...almost as nice as the company I kept. I wish I'd captured some pics of the half-dozen he picked up, but he was always too far in front of me to grab a pic.

Thanks, DT, for a really enjoyable afternoon. Six hours of laughter, mentoring, and camaraderie...seven if you count the hour of BSing at the trucks when we were finished...really capped off a wonderful weekend. It's been said a thousand times, but it's worth repeating: One of a few really good guys who know their stuff and never shy away from sharing their knowledge with others. Always grateful for the opportunity and the experience.
post edited by mohawksyd - 2011/11/15 00:53:23

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

4 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Bear Tracks and Trout Bums 2011/11/15 07:04:59 (permalink)
    thanks for stopping by and joining. the bite was slow but we seen enough trout to keep things interesting.

post edited by doubletaper - 2011/11/15 07:09:43

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Bear Tracks and Trout Bums 2011/11/15 07:13:53 (permalink)
    very nice report - good reading
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Bear Tracks and Trout Bums 2011/11/15 08:45:49 (permalink)
    You guys sure know how to have fun...lol Nice read..

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Bear Tracks and Trout Bums 2011/11/15 08:48:37 (permalink)
    Nice pics.....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: