Illegal kill seen

Author
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/14 11:23:11 (permalink)

Illegal kill seen

Saw my first ever post AR "mistake" kill left to lay on Friday afternoon. Left work early to hit my afternoon stand and as any hunter does, I was "scanning" the likely deer spots as I was driving. Heading down 51 south just past Ridge Rd. in Jefferson Hills, I glance up on top of the little ledge to the left where I have seen guys hunting before and notice antlers and a deer laying there. This is directly across from Francesco's Restaurant for those that know the area. I turn around at the bottom of the hill and pull off at the Ridge Rd. off ramp on 51. I walk back with my camcorder and once I get there, I see that it's a very large 5 pt. laying dead. It is at least a 2.5 yr old with a nice 16" spread or so and decent mass but it only has 2 pts and a brow on its left side and a large spike with a small brow on the right side. If someone saw this quickly coming through thick brush, I could perhaps see mistaking it for a larger deer but still doesn't excuse it. It had a definite broadhead wound on its left side. I did not flip it over. I do have a little tape on my camcorder of it. Shame to see someone do something like that and just walk away from it. It looked to be a fresh kill from late Thursday or early Friday as the eyes looked real fresh, no stink, and there was still some rigor in its neck. I have seen a certain vehicle pulled off and hunting this area on many occassions. Just wondering if it was them that did this or not.

19 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/14 15:07:20 (permalink)
    I have only found one and that was last year during firearms season.  The deer was shot and was not legal.  The shot was not immediately fatal so not sure if the hunter ever found it or not. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/14 18:29:04 (permalink)
    I certainly hope I am wromng but I really thinig there are going to be bucks shot that are protected ones under the new rules in the old 4 point arreas..

IMHO == they should have just made it 3 points to side state wide ... 3 on the main beam.. no brow tines is going to get some protected bucks shot plain and simple... and some are not going to want to do the right thing and report it as a mistake and they will just walk away..

BUMMER !!!!
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/14 19:17:31 (permalink)
    I can honestly say I've never seen what I suspected to be an illegal AR buck dumped.  The general consensus of folks I've talked to would just risk taking it home after dark and cut-up themselves.
    psu_fish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3098
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/14 20:03:21 (permalink)
    I've seen 3 bucks left since AR came in. All in 2F
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3335
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/14 20:17:48 (permalink)
      It's possible  junior's shot them & didn't find 'em
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/14 20:51:15 (permalink)
    The shot was a good one.  Deer most likely died quickly.  In this area ( 20 yds from Rte. 51), the high visibility leads me to believe it was a mistake left to rot.  On my way home from work tonight it looked like there was another individual on the way over to check it out.  He was in work clothes and talking on a cell phone walking towards the area. 

I can describe the vehicle I have seen parked in this area on a regular basis but as for not driving that way and seeing it that AM, I am not going to speculate and throw out accusations.  Just reporting what I actualy saw.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/17 08:11:31 (permalink)
    Well,
    Someone must of wacked off the antlers because they were easily visible a couple days ago and noticed yesterday all you can see is the white belly of the buck up on the ledge. The spread was big enough that you could clearly see the antlers, even while passing in a car/truck.
    BIG WAGS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 334
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/17 21:08:45 (permalink)
    Here is a picture of one hit by a car two weeks ago. 51 at century drive just after ridge road overpass.
    (first time loading a picture ...hope it works)

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/17 22:12:19 (permalink)
    too bad.. that's a nice buck ...

A 10 pointer that many of the locals were aware of also got hit and killed on Wednesday night near here....
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/17 22:13:20
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/18 02:27:05 (permalink)
    You don't shoot one (ends up bein illegal)or not and leave it lay thats pathetic , take it home green jeans catches ya your own dam fault
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/18 09:21:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thunderpole

You don't shoot one (ends up bein illegal)or not and leave it lay thats pathetic , take it home green jeans catches ya your own dam fault

huh, translation please....?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/18 10:56:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thunderpole

MR Green Jeans , LOL
    HaveJeepCanGo
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/18 11:16:01 (permalink)
    1st couple yrs of AR I found a couple per yr.  There's no mistaking them when they're shoved under a tree-top brush pile or bottom of steep ravine with no back straps or hind quarter.  3 pnts, 4pnts, 5 pnts, and a couple 6 pnts...  2 different areas.  Game Commission called, never heard back nor have I seen them in the areas.  Some may have been lost deer, but most were unmistakable as "mistake" kills.  I haven't found any in the past few yrs, but now that I'm archery hunting more, I don't walk the woods like I once did. Maybe a junior/mentored hunter with a parent who has poor tracking skills?  Possibly shot on one of our many rainy Saturdays losing the blood trail due to much water falling, or similar.  I lost a big doe last yr when it started raining minutes after I put a pass-through in her.  Waited a bit, got up, got my arrow, and lost the blood trail within 40 yds due to the rain washing it away.(hunt from the ground, so I never get to se my archery kills fall)  Never found her.  Hated that, but would never want to be accused of wasting the deer.  Chit happens.  I hope you reported what U saw.  Not saying U didn't, just sayin'.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/19 18:01:06 (permalink)
    Have came across more than 1 illegal kill every year since we had to comply with this stupidity. So figure how small of an area that I cover? Wonder just how many are left to rot yearly? I suppose there is a graph or chart that factors this in HUH...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/19 18:32:22 (permalink)
          Hate to try and find good outa all that but at least some guys seem to have taken some meat off those' mistakes'. Guess its somewhat better than just leavin them.
          Gotta be a tough call when somebody really thought they took a legal deer. Expereince says its kinda hard to see how many of those points on a moving deer in the woods are on a particular side sometimes. specially in brushy places. Guess ya gotta let a lot go out there till your sure= Gota make some conditions really frustrating.
         Deer huntins hard enough in some places- used to think trying to figure out 3 inches was bad.
      Somebody said something bout takin doe instead of bucks so as to never make a mistake-Hate to say it but its a fair assumption unless the bucks just standin there like a photo - you know how they so often do- for you  to count up.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/11/19 19:49:31
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/19 20:16:34 (permalink)
    Sadly I have come across a couple of spikes over the years that were obviously mistaken for doe 
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/19 21:37:16 (permalink)
    Hate to admit it but been there done that. Thankfully had a doe tag but the mistake is what hurt.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/20 09:37:20 (permalink)
    +1 ===

but the mistake is what hurt

How true... I did not need any lectures or negative comments from the WCO (and did not get any) when he came to pick up the "mistake".

I had already beaten myself up enough over the mistake plus naturally the "better half" had some negative things to say about me making the mistake too ...

But all were proud that I did the right thing and not just leave it lay in the woods to rot... and the $25 was sort of a punishment in itself for a bad decision on when to pull the trigger...
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2011/11/20 09:40:36
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Illegal kill seen 2011/11/20 10:36:03 (permalink)
    Doc-
         Shot mine with the whole head in the scope here in Ct.- took it right in the white spot on the neck as it was looking directly at me in some brush and not all that far away either. All could ever think of was that it had its ears kicked forward as it clearly knew I was there and it had" made me".
         There were lotsa deer around that property and there was no need whatsoever to be quick bout shooting and  had taken my time bout it.. As far as I was concerned DOE. It had two little spindly pencil thick spikes bout 4 inches long- felt like an idiot.
        Had 3 tags that year- two Doe and one any deer so it wasnt bout not bein legal - was all bout knowing what ya shoot. Had 3 more with the muzzel blaster later on too.
         Kudos for doing the 'right thing' Doc and turning it in. Did you forfeit  a tag too??
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/11/20 10:46:14
    Jump to: