Early season observations

Author
neaphyte
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/06 08:51:19 (permalink)

Early season observations

I know I don't fish the Pa tribs as often as in the past, but I occasionally end up on my two old favorites one on the westside one on the eastside. This October because of prevailing conditions when i could get up there I ended up on Pa tribs five times in the last four weeks. So that is the basis of my observations. And all of them are only my opinion for what it's worth. And I have been observing for over 15 years.
- Not sure number of fish returning is significantly higher than last year, I think in my case I have hit conditions on the Pa tribs just right.

-After the last two seasons of drastically fewer numbers of fish and this season still up in the air, why are so many guys keeping their limit??? Is the mindset "well if this is all there is I'm getting mine"

-The very clever new ploy on the Pa tribs of a guy jumping right into your spot when you take off to fight a hooked fish AND upon your return telling you "he saw some guys eying it up and was saving it for you". Really. Thanks. That happened to me and my buddy same afternoon fishing several hundred feet apart by different guys {we think different guys}

-Fish are bigger on westside tribs???

-More guys friendlier in general.

-Pinners! On Pa tribs. Come on two good pinners can work the entire length of the Legion Hole,upper and lower, right.

-Met some Canadians good guys but can you stay in Canada please. Don't they know that Canada is the USA largest National Park! So the fishing should be good up there .

- The Russians Or Eastern Europeans I guess, not to single any one group out. Using like 8-9 wgt flyrods with winches and 15Lb maxima and traditional tandem salmon hooks, HMMM must have thought they were on the Gaula. BUT no they were snagging! I was dying to challenge them when they attempted to keep a snagged fish but the fishgods was unkind to them they lost each one they snagged.

Oh yeah how did I lose my designation of expert angler? Novice angler. At least give some street cred!

-Visiting those two tribs on days when the water was high and stained just the right color reminds me why I fell in love with them and steelheading. There just too crowded most of the time, for me to fish, regularly.

Thats all I have. Comments are welcome. Have a good season
post edited by neaphyte - 2011/11/06 08:54:06

22 Replies Related Threads

Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 809
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 09:56:40 (permalink)
    "Oh yeah how did I lose my designation of expert angler? Novice angler. At least give some street cred!"

Fish USA just updated this website.  The result was the post numbers got reduced changing the angler status.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 11:19:30 (permalink)
    The east side tribs are much "friendlier" than the west side tribs in my experience plus I can actually get my bait to where the fish are on the east side when I'm fishing the mouth. Regardless the fish have moved up pretty quickly this year
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 14:04:45 (permalink)
    I wouldnt say the eastside is all that. Elk is holding its own.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 17:26:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chartist1

east side tribs are holding more fish than Elk....

Chartist, you are so full of crap. In my two trips to Elk, I saw more fish than in 20 trips on the east side. Why would I go to Elk, when I am 1, 3, 4, 7, 10 miles from 4, 7, 12, 16, and 20 mile creeks, respectively? I don't own stock in oil companies. I can get to NY creeks faster than Elk, so I've purchased a NY license, even though I broke down and got my Senior lifetime PA license this year.
    Livinfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 17:37:26 (permalink)
    Overall fish numbers are way up from last year although some creeks, one in particular on the eastside, are nearly void of fish.
    post edited by Livinfishin - 2011/11/06 17:38:11
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 18:43:38 (permalink)

All I can say talk about is my personal experience this year. I walked Elk from the route 5 tubes upstream to the trestle upstream of the legion hole. I found the fish numbers to be low on Elk....20 mile creek had a good number of fish.....Thinking of fishing the weekend prior to thanksgiving and if I do, it will be 20 mile creek only....Tired of driving 35 miles from the green roof inn to 20 mile because I want to stay somewhat centrally located.

plus the "eastside the bestside 20 steelhed just died"slogan T shirt
    is avalable for sell at a local baitstore

plus evryone knows all the browns ar ther tooo

so elk suks this year
    who kares

go east

hophelpa
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 19:11:17 (permalink)
    some guy said all the fish are stocked on the eastside now becauz of the new fSh ladder

hopethishelps
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 19:24:42 (permalink)

I saw 50+ fishermen on 20 mile creek on saturday and again on sunday last weekend....Upstream of route 5 on elk, I saw six guys all the way to the conrail tubes on saturday afternoon....And noone was hooking up on Elk......couple other guys I talked to at Avonia tavern echoed my observations. They went to Walnut cuz there were fish....

In all honesty theres not really enough room on 20 for 50+ guys. I'm suprised you found open water to fish. Oh wait I know you were the guy snaking everyones hole because the fish they caught took them down stream.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 19:29:43 (permalink)
    More rain, more water, easier migration. Doesn't take fish long to move from the mouth to miles upstream on a daily basis with levels above normal this fall......so far.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    troutsnagger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 22:26:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: neaphyte

I know I don't fish the Pa tribs as often as in the past, but I occasionally end up on my two old favorites one on the westside one on the eastside. This October because of prevailing conditions when i could get up there I ended up on Pa tribs five times in the last four weeks. So that is the basis of my observations. And all of them are only my opinion for what it's worth. And I have been observing for over 15 years.
    - Not sure number of fish returning is significantly higher than last year, I think in my case I have hit conditions on the Pa tribs just right.

-After the last two seasons of drastically fewer numbers of fish and this season still up in the air, why are so many guys keeping their limit??? Is the mindset "well if this is all there is I'm getting mine"

-The very clever new ploy on the Pa tribs of a guy jumping right into your spot when you take off to fight a hooked fish AND upon your return telling you "he saw some guys eying it up and was saving it for you". Really. Thanks. That happened to me and my buddy same afternoon fishing several hundred feet apart by different guys {we think different guys}

-Fish are bigger on westside tribs???

-More guys friendlier in general.

-Pinners! On Pa tribs. Come on two good pinners can work the entire length of the Legion Hole,upper and lower, right.

-Met some Canadians good guys but can you stay in Canada please. Don't they know that Canada is the USA largest National Park! So the fishing should be good up there .

- The Russians Or Eastern Europeans I guess, not to single any one group out. Using like 8-9 wgt flyrods with winches and 15Lb maxima and traditional tandem salmon hooks, HMMM must have thought they were on the Gaula. BUT no they were snagging! I was dying to challenge them when they attempted to keep a snagged fish but the fishgods was unkind to them they lost each one they snagged.

Oh yeah how did I lose my designation of expert angler? Novice angler. At least give some street cred!

-Visiting those two tribs on days when the water was high and stained just the right color reminds me why I fell in love with them and steelheading. There just too crowded most of the time, for me to fish, regularly.

Thats all I have. Comments are welcome. Have a good season

This has to be the most Racist post I ever read on this website.  
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 23:29:47 (permalink)

there you go again, worrying about the hoards invading 20 mile creek...you think folks haven't heard of 20 mile creek by now?
    ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

east side tribs are holding more fish than Elk....

Chartist, you are so full of crap. In my two trips to Elk, I saw more fish than in 20 trips on the east side. Why would I go to Elk, when I am 1, 3, 4, 7, 10 miles from 4, 7, 12, 16, and 20 mile creeks, respectively? I don't own stock in oil companies. I can get to NY creeks faster than Elk, so I've purchased a NY license, even though I broke down and got my Senior lifetime PA license this year.

What? You are pretty ignorant for someone who thinks he is educated. I don't even fish 20 mile. Take all your friends there. Oops, never mind. Go there all you want.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/06 23:33:49 (permalink)

All I can say talk about is my personal experience this year. I walked Elk from the route 5 tubes upstream to the trestle upstream of the legion hole. I found the fish numbers to be low on Elk....20 mile creek had a good number of fish.....Thinking of fishing the weekend prior to thanksgiving and if I do, it will be 20 mile creek only....Tired of driving 35 miles from the green roof inn to 20 mile because I want to stay somewhat centrally located.

Great! Glad to hear that. (see previous post)
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/07 01:40:32 (permalink)
    I haven't even been up yet, and I know the number are back to "normal", or above. Because there aren't 20 "where's the fish" threads. I guess the prophisied collapse didn't occur

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    gymi03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/07 06:37:16 (permalink)
    Elks doing just fine this year. I've seen tons of fish getting caught.

Stay East. :)
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2153
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/07 07:39:35 (permalink)
    Lets get real! There are F'in fish in every creek, and tons of em to boot.

BH

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/07 07:53:00 (permalink)
    "back to normal" is relative , I reckon .

Numbers have been off (compared to the hay days of 10 years ago) for 5-6   years now
    But there are good numbers of fish ..you just don't trip over bazzillons  of  them EVERYWHERE you go on  the creek like in  the Ole Dayz of '97 to '04

you can still trip over fish, just not in EVERY run, wash and pot hole like before

us "Old Timers" know you have street cred, Neo
    we know you're one of the "OG's" here

..L.T.A.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/07 08:25:56 (permalink)
    Fish are there...

The amount that people are catching, another story.  I think this is how numbers get misconstrued the most.

Definitely more fish than there has been during these past 2 years though.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/07 08:56:18 (permalink)
    Some people say"I walked 5 miles up Elk Creek and only saw 3 fish." You don't see them all.Some people say "I was at the Legion Hole on Tuesday with 50 fish in it and went back Wednesday and they were all gone.I saw 6 people with fish on yellow ropes.It's fished out.We need a 2 fish limit." They move!A TON of the fish are still out in the lake.The fishery is not collapsing in spite of the worries of armchair fishing biologists.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/07 09:28:46 (permalink)
    ^^^^ until the leaves all fall and we get some rain it will continue to be like this I just can't wait til all the runs and holes are filled

East side love is living on the west end
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/08 01:42:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steeLpunishment

some guy said all the fish are stocked on the eastside now becauz of the new fSh ladder

hopethishelps

Uh huh!

Wintergreen Gorge is loaded! You and Chartist should head up there!
    Great SITE fishing.

And : Welcome to the SIGHT!
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2011/11/08 12:27:22
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/08 06:21:48 (permalink)
    One more observation:

When the Brandy Run stream gauge reads 15 CFS, Elk is almost unfishable at least in the area up and down from say Rt 20. In years past 15 was prime, sure it was up and a little off color, just the way I like it. We had this conversation early in the season. And argued over it at length. Before I had been up, but was wondering about it. Now i have seen it three times and fished it twice there is a difference. What do you think???

I have never been called a racist before. Is the definition of racist "one who despises all that mistreat the steelhead fishery"

Thanks "OG" (I like that)
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Early season observations 2011/11/08 08:40:05 (permalink)

I walked Elk from the route 5 tubes upstream to the trestle upstream of the legion hole.

*cough*

*cough*

go back to spain
    11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
    Jump to: