Great week, big doe down!!

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2011/11/04 21:55:50 (permalink)

Great week, big doe down!!

It has been a long season thus far and I wouldn't have it any other way. Been hunting 4 days a week for the last 7 weeks with this last week being one to remember.  I was able to harvest a good Pa. 8 point on film this past halloween weekend and was finally able to close the deal on a big mature doe tonight on video as well.  My season was extremely slow for buck activity with that 8 point being the first buck I saw.  Does, on the other hand, have been frequent visitors but I just was not able to close the deal while self filming. I had my opportunities, but all of the pieces never came together until tonight.  I can't remember how many fawns I gave a pass.  It was almost like I was babysitting them.  :D  One a shooshed away and she came back within 5 minutes. 

This day started like so many with me in a treestand watching the sun come up.  Really is a shame that there are many folks that have never witnessed a sunrise while in the woods.  Todays was spectacular with a cool north wind.

The morning was slow for me despite the ideal conditions. Stuck it out till 12:00 and only saw one doe far out.  Made the decision to pack up and head back to home base to hunt a local spot that I have been seeing alot of the does at.  Last night, saw two bucks pushing does hard in this area so I snuck in and up the tree at 2:30 for the afternoon hunt.  I pushed a fawn out as I climbed in for the vigil.  Action started pretty quick with a doe moving high above me but never any closer.  She was alone.  I then saw a few fawns by themselves after that.  At 5:00, I almost was able to get a shot at another lone doe that slowly fed to 20 yards before sensing something wasn't quite right.  Had some openings to shoot through but when I was good, the camera was not so good. Amazing what just a foot of difference makes.  She soon left.

It was apparent to me that these does must be getting pushed hard at night by bucks.  The family groups were broke up with singles common.  This is the sign I look for to signal the chase phase is on.

With the sun beginning to edge towards the horizon, I caught a sapling moving back and forth behind a screen of green honeysuckle.  Positioning all the gear that direction I wasn't sure if it was a buck raking a tree or a feeding doe.  I was actually expecting on of the many fawns I have been seeing.  Camera running and out steps another single mature doe.  The wind was perfect and she kept her course through a big shooting lane. At 20 yards, she stopped to a subtle grunt.  I glanced at the viewscreen, lined up my 20 yard dot low on her chest, squeezed the forend safety on the TenPoint Stealth and let the ABC Sonic fly.  The Lumenok streaked to a spot low on her chest and she lunged forward to only stop and crash within 20 yards.  It was a perfect heart shot with the harvest being swift and humane.  Sharp broadheads in the right spot kill amazingly quick.
No blood trailing necessary this time.  This is how I found her piled up.

She was a old girl in top form.  A very large for a doe and equal in body size to quite of few of the bucks that I have shot over the years.   In my mind, the taking a mature does with archery gear is no small task.  The challenge is there and one that I cherish with my heart racing on each and every experience. A feeling that I hope never goes away.   Archery hunting is a special pursuit for sure.  The effort is rewarded in many ways, even without a harvest.

This is my second deer to fall to American Broadhead Company Sonics.  Both have been pass throughs with both deer falling within sight.  They cut a pretty big hole for a pretty small head.  Plus, getting absolutely perfect flight with them.
post edited by dpms - 2011/11/04 21:56:26

My rifle is a black rifle

2 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Great week, big doe down!! 2011/11/04 22:29:33 (permalink)
    Nice... Congrats AGAIN !!!!

ya done hunting now so the rest of us will still have a few to shoot at

You archery guys ruin it for us rifle guys..

you kill too many ... it's not fair I tell ya !!!

It's those dang crossbower again.. killing all the deer ....
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Great week, big doe down!! 2011/11/04 22:46:06 (permalink)
    Thanks, doc.

It is all about the access for me and I am fortunate at the moment.  That can change quickly though so there are no guarantees down the road. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Jump to: