Transition to Fly

Author
xXBeastFeesherManXx
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/20 15:45:01 (permalink)

Transition to Fly

I have been spin fishing for over 10 years and have seen many anglers enjoying the fly fishing experience. I never picked one up but it looks fun; especially when a nice steelie is on. Can anyone recommend a good quality rod and reel when it comes to fly fishing? I do not want to spend over a $150 for an outfit. I have been told to invest more of the money towards a reel. And I also have been told to stay away from the store rod & reel combo's. Any suggestions as I am not sure what to look at. Thank you very much.

26 Replies Related Threads

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 15:55:36 (permalink)
    Redington pursuit fly rod for $99 comes with a lifetime warranty. As for reel, almost anything will do. I used an okuma sierra for years(around $30) and it worked just fine for steelhead. Line isnt too important, get something cheep. IMO 5 or 6 wt is too light when starting out, go with a 7 or 8wt.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 17:13:35 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 18:32:59 (permalink)
    ""I have been told to invest more of the money towards a reel. And I also have been told to stay away from the store rod & reel combo's. Any suggestions as I am not sure what to look at. Thank you very much.""

I personally would invest your money more into the fly rod. The reel is basically just a line holder. BUT find a reel with somewhat of a drag system.  YES stay away from rod and reel combos , most aren't made for constant battles with steelies and you will  most likely regret the purchase.

If your going to stick with it you can always upgrade the reel but the fly rod ( IMO ) is worth the investment in buying a good one. I like my St.Croix Avid Series 6-7 wt. Its a bit more out of the $150.00 price range but I have had mine for 9 years now and have no regrets.

Good luck and good fishing to you Beastyfeesherman !!!

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 18:36:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: xXBeastFeesherManXx
     I have been told to invest more of the money towards a reel. And I also have been told to stay away from the store rod & reel combo's

let me preface by saying, I know just enough about flyfishing for steelies to be dangerous .
    But lets continue anyway...

you'll be told a lot things by cueballs,  rod/reel snobs and sporting goods store  "eXpErtz" alike  .

Just disregard 90% of it and   go buy an outfit you can afford ...cause it most likely  won't make a dimes a worth of difference to you.
    It might make a difference to the seasoned veteran that's spent years on the water learning the nuances of flyrod/line craft, but to the average Billy JoeBob Erie Pa Steelheader, it won't make any difference .

Go get a 9ft 7wt rod and reel combo spooled with some WF or DT floating line and start frothing the water

The reel is the least important part   of the equation .
    My $69 reels work just as well as my $369 dollar reel .
    It's just a thing to hold and wind  line .
    he11, you don't even much of a drag ...set the drag light and palm the reel when additional braking is needed

Any reel will do, just be sure it's a large arbor reel

the rod is a little different .
    Some cast better than others .
    It has little to do with the price either.
    It's more a batter of the  flex of the rod  blank used
    No way to know whether a full flex, mid flex or tip flex works best for "you" til you try them .
    The better fly shops will have outfits you can try.
    It's also possible the fly shop will have a closeout or clearance rod that fits your needs and budget.
    If not,  then go find a "budget" priced rod at the Big Box sports stores that matches the feel/flex ..

one more thing, if you get your flyrod, then stick a wad of bait on it and fish it like a spinning/float rod dragging junk under a bobber  thru a pool all-de-time, I'm going to make fun of you for being a wee-tawded  appleknocker

..L.T.A.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 18:55:13 (permalink)
    Go to the darkside and buy a centerpin. Or if your gonna fly fish ask swinger he'll set you straight. I believe the tug is his drug or something like that.
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 19:03:34 (permalink)
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 19:32:47 (permalink)
    The big question is are you just wanting to flyfish for steelhead?

<---  The Holy Trinity
    xXBeastFeesherManXx
    Novice Angler
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 19:56:58 (permalink)

Just disregard 90% of it and go buy an outfit you can afford ...cause it most likely won't make a dimes a worth of difference to you.
    ORIGINAL: genieman77

I have been told to invest more of the money towards a reel. And I also have been told to stay away from the store rod & reel combo's

let me preface by saying, I know just enough about flyfishing for steelies to be dangerous .

you'll be told a lot things by cueballs,  rod/reel snobs and sporting goods store  "eXpErtz" alike  .

Just disregard 90% of it and   go buy an outfit you can afford ...cause it most likely  won't make a dimes a worth of difference to you.
    It might make a difference to the seasoned veteran that's spent years on the water learning the nuances of flyrod/line craft, but to the average Billy JoeBob Erie Pa Steelheader, it won't make any difference .

Go get a 9ft 7wt rod and reel combo spooled with some WF or DT floating line and start frothing the water

he11, you don't even much of a drag ...set the drag light and palm the reel when additional braking is needed

No way to know whether a full flex, mid flex or tip flex works best for "you" til you try them .
    It's also possible the fly shop will have a closeout or clearance rod that fits your needs and budget.
    If not,  then go find a "budget" priced rod at the Big Box sports stores that matches the feel/flex ..

one more thing, if you get your flyrod, then stick a wad of bait on it and fish it like a spinning/float rod dragging junk under a bobber  thru a pool all-de-time, I'm going to make fun of you for being a wee-tawded  appleknocker

..L.T.A.

Wow! Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. I do have a few questions though...

What is "WF or DT" floating line mean? Also, when you discuss the rod materials, is it the same material as used in noodle rods; IM7 Graphite? Can you or someone else please recommend a brand of line to go with once I pick up my rod & reel. What brand rod and reel do you all stand up for and recommend? I cannot afford a St. Croix or Sage. Maybe in the future. (or if I hit the lottery I never play LOL) Also, what do the rod terms 6,7,8,9 WT mean? Is it similar to 4,6,8,10+ spinning rod line?

I was thinking of heading over to Ultimate Angler, FishUSA, or Poor Richards as I was told they would each stir me in the right direction on the purchase of both the reel and rod. I just don't want to be bullShatted by some store salesmen. Thanks again for your help on my quest to fly.
    xXBeastFeesherManXx
    Novice Angler
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 20:26:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Loopy

The big question is are you just wanting to flyfish for steelhead?

I mainly will be using the fly setup for steelhead but I would also like to use it for wading the bay shore for spring bass.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 22:11:09 (permalink)
    What is "WF or DT" floating line mean?

Flyline comes in many different configurations
    weight forward (WF) or  double taper (DT) floating  flyline are the most common used on the tribs .

Also, when you discuss the rod materials, is it the same material as used in noodle rods

pretty much.....a rod blank is a rod blank and all poles start out with one.

Can you or someone else please recommend a brand of line to go with once I pick up my rod & reel

Scientific Angler makes decent line for the money

. What brand rod and reel do you all stand up for and recommend?

it really doesn't matter given your budget restraints
    What you'll be looking at is all made in China anyway .
    Reddington, TFO, Gander Mountain Guide Series .....
    Don't over think it.
    just grab a stick that looks or feels good to you and stick a $69 Okuma or Scientific Angler reel on it

Also, what do the rod terms 6,7,8,9 WT mean?

The higher the number, the heavier/larger  fish it will handle .
    a 2 wt flyrod would be comparable to an ultralight spinning rod

5-6-7-8-9 wt rods are all used for steelies .
    7wt is great choice for you IMO

I was thinking of heading over to Ultimate Angler, FishUSA, or Poor Richards as I was told they would each stir me in the right direction on the purchase of both the reel and rod.

Fisherie would be a great place, i think .
    Poor Richards too.
    I don't know anything about Ultimate Angler, good or bad...so  have no opinion on them

..L.T.A.

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/20 23:52:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: chartist1

you want at 10', 7 weight sage....couple that with an Abel Super 8 reel and you're in hog heaven....$1500 between friends.

lol. Did you not read the question?

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 00:30:05 (permalink)

I have been spin fishing for over 10 years and have seen many anglers enjoying the fly fishing experience. I never picked one up but it looks fun; especially when a nice steelie is on. Can anyone recommend a good quality rod and reel when it comes to fly fishing? I do not want to spend over a $150 for an outfit. I have been told to invest more of the money towards a reel. And I also have been told to stay away from the store rod & reel combo's. Any suggestions as I am not sure what to look at. Thank you very much.

Fishusa. I'd go with the Redington Crosswater 8 wt combo.
    Unfortunately, no 7 wt. This will be a good backup if you decide to go for the higher end stuff later. Large arbor reel, line included.
    120 bucks, leaves you money for leaders and flies.

Wouldn't recommend Ultimate Angler. They would have a hard time keeping a straight face if you walked in and told them you wanted to spend 150 on an outfit. 150 might get you a handful of flies there.
    post edited by FiveMilePete - 2011/10/21 00:33:34
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 01:49:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Wouldn't recommend Ultimate Angler. They would have a hard time keeping a straight face if you walked in and told them you wanted to spend 150 on an outfit. 150 might get you a handful of flies there.

Believe they have the same Reddington outfits along with some Orvis and possibly some Closeouts. Several different setups that would be spooled and they would for sure give you some help and tips for casting.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 02:07:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HCsteel

ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

Believe they have the same Reddington outfits along with some Orvis and possibly some Closeouts. Several different setups that would be spooled and they would for sure give you some help and tips for casting.

Then they have changed since they've moved. I haven't been there in years. I stand corrected. But I still prefer Fishusa.

FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 02:25:48 (permalink)

Just disregard 90% of it and go buy an outfit you can afford ...cause it most likely won't make a dimes a worth of difference to you.
    ORIGINAL: genieman77

..L.T.A.

Wow! Thanks so much for your detailed explanation. I do have a few questions though...

What is "WF or DT" floating line mean? Also, when you discuss the rod materials, is it the same material as used in noodle rods; IM7 Graphite? Can you or someone else please recommend a brand of line to go with once I pick up my rod & reel. What brand rod and reel do you all stand up for and recommend? I cannot afford a St. Croix or Sage. Maybe in the future. (or if I hit the lottery I never play LOL) Also, what do the rod terms 6,7,8,9 WT mean? Is it similar to 4,6,8,10+ spinning rod line?

I was thinking of heading over to Ultimate Angler, FishUSA, or Poor Richards as I was told they would each stir me in the right direction on the purchase of both the reel and rod. I just don't want to be bullShatted by some store salesmen. Thanks again for your help on my quest to fly.

Seriously, head to the new Fishusa store. Knowledgeable folks there. Consider the Reddington outfits I mentioned.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 10:00:02 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9828
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 10:43:05 (permalink)
    Multi piece travel rods are nice if you drive a sedan/coupe or truck without bed cover (anything that will not allow for a 4-5 foot section to fit.

Make sure you match the size rod, reel & line if buying seperately. Put on a good bit of backing before your line too.

I think WF line is probably better for you, since you'll likely end up using in the Bay more than you think. It's nice for casting heavier streamers. If you get heavy into that, there are more specialized lines out there that can really help you get a good distance cast.

I've had no issues with an 8wt. Cabela's travel combo, that I have owned for 11-12 years now. I think it cost me about $200 then. They probably have the same or better for close to $150 now. I'm sure the same is said with FishUSA or others too.
    track2514
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 11:25:44 (permalink)
    Are there any fly rod/reel combos that come with Crocs? I think this is a very important part of the fly transition, you must wear crocs at all times during the fly fishing experience.

"The things you own end up owning you."
    ~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 12:35:29 (permalink)
    fly transition (def)

when fly guy makes final transition to womenhood

you guyz cant be for real ha ha

hopethishelpa
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 12:38:25 (permalink)
    You mean like these ???

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

track2514
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 13:10:09 (permalink)
    Yes those are perfect, does FishUSA offer the flyrod/reel/croc combo deal?

"The things you own end up owning you."
    ~~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

troutsnagger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 13:37:00 (permalink)
    You need to go to a fly shop and talk to them and see first hand what all the choices are. If you go in with a budget anybody will be able to help you. Compair different places and prices then look online then take the best deal. I would look at warranty as well as quality,price and service. Don't make the mistake of buying a setup for trout and Steelhead. Pick what you want toi fish for and if you like it get the other later on.
    SevenMileShowcase
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 14:33:11 (permalink)
    The most enjoyable thing about fly fishing in my opinion is everything, you feel more of the fish and dont be a girl about, I lost a ton when I started out but all steelies fight different, some stay deep other jump and run down but believe me it's a blast it does not compare. Also a couple good clear indicators help.
    Riverbum
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 15:34:34 (permalink)
    IMHO, the rod is key. Dont be afraid to spend a little more for one with a life time warranty. Definitely worth it in my book. 10ft 7wt. TFO makes a great rod.

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in. Its thin current slides away, but eternity remains."
    ~by Henry David Thoreau~

mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 15:52:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

You mean like these ???

Looks like Uber to me.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Transition to Fly 2011/10/21 17:04:19 (permalink)
    Hardy Ti reels

"it takes six continuous days of machining to make a single one"

GTF out.....

are those  British  machinists still working with treadle powered and hand crank machining tools

call 1-800-CNC R US

..L.T.A.
    Jump to: