Sunday Huntng Article

Author
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/20 08:01:06 (permalink)

Sunday Huntng Article

Here is an article on Sunday hunting that appeared in the Altoona Mirror.  Pay close attention to the last paragraph.  This is why non-hunters should not be permitted to write artciles about hunting -- especially if they are trying to make a point.  I am sure that some airfare comes into play as does the purchase of some boats and the paying of some guide fees, but I doubt if those are large contributors in PA.

Report: Sunday hunting could bring in big bucks
Committee says extra day could mean more jobs, almost $57 million
October 20, 2011
From Mirror staff and wire reports , The Altoona Mirror
Save | Comments (7) | Post a comment |

HARRISBURG - Pennsylvania could generate up to $804 million in economic activity by allowing Sunday hunting, according to a bipartisan legislative study released Wednesday.
The Legislative Budget and Finance Committee report said Sunday hunting could support nearly 7,500 jobs and bring in almost $57 million in state and local taxes.
Allowing hunting on all Sundays during hunting season would produce about $460 million in retail sales, according to the company that produced the estimates, Southwick Associates.
But the figures from the study aren't exactly wooing some local hunters and shop owners. Linford Karns, a hunter and employee at Juniata Trading Co., said he's in favor of Sunday hunting because it should be up to the people if they want to hunt on Sundays.
However, he said, hunting license sales have gone down every year and Sunday hunting isn't going to fix that problem."You're hitting the generation now where the parents don't hunt, so that leaves a big lull because the kids aren't going to hunt," Karns said. "I don't think the Sunday deal would really help that significantly."
About 950,000 general hunting licenses were sold in Pennsylvania during the 2009-10 fiscal year. Pennsylvania deer hunters spend about $96 a day.
State Sen. John Eichelberger, R-Blair, said the study contains figures that have been exaggerated and if hunters aren't spending their money hunting on Sundays, they're probably spending their money on something else.
"I've talked to people from the game commission, to the hunters, even people who support Sunday hunting, and when anybody looks at that realistically, they don't believe that. The figure's too high," Eichelberger said. "If you're not hunting that day, chances are good that you're doing something else. You're out to eat with your family, going to the movies, going to the store, or doing something. It doesn't add up as far as I'm concerned."
According to the report, hunting is worth nearly $3 billion to the state's economy, with deer hunting accounting for about $1.7 billion.
Those expenditures include trip-related services such as lodging, airfare and guide fees; weapons, camping gear, boats and other equipment; licenses; books; dues; and land purchases or rentals.
The report is an update of a similar study done six years ago.
Mirror Staff Writer Rich Coleman contributed to this article.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.

9 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 08:16:21 (permalink)
    I support the regulatory transfer and some expansion of Sunday hunting opportunities but I wish money and religion were left out of the debate.   Neither are relevant to what the discussion should be about. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 09:48:30 (permalink)
    I'm not so sure that religion isn't part of the discussion, why do you think there was no Sunday hunting in the first place? And, it seems that most of our "hunting" debates are centered squarely around money in one way or another...

Agree though that the writer should be doing fluff pieces for the society page...

Don't really want to get into and in depth debate, but there are times that I miss the "Blue Laws"...
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4894
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 10:44:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Don't really want to get into and in depth debate, but there are times that I miss the "Blue Laws"...

Its funny you should mention Blue Laws.  One of the comments to the article was that PA needs to go back to having everything closed on Sunday so that we can all go to church and visit with family.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 11:13:36 (permalink)
    I can remember being out of cigarettes and cursing the blue laws at the time. I don't think our society would stand for bringing them back at this point, can you imagine Wallyworld giving up a day to milk the masses...
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 12:15:58 (permalink)
    Not to start a religous debate, but I am pretty sure I don't need laws to tell me how to be religous. In fact with all the other things this country is doing to avoid offending various religions, I think that blue laws are unconstitutional and should all be removed immediately.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 12:29:13 (permalink)
    I think the cults...errr ahhh churches I mean...are concerned about their collection plates becoming a little lighter if SH comes to fruition. 
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 12:49:33 (permalink)
    Honestly, I think it will have little impact on the churches. I think the plates are as empty as they're gonna get. As times get tougher historically churches rebound somewhat. My wife and kids would have way more impact on my Sunday activities than the state ever could...

All I really remember from the blue laws was that everything was closed on Sunday, nobody said you had to go to church, well except my mother...
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 15:35:05 (permalink)
    I'm a pastor.

I fully support Sunday hunting.

Would have little to no impact on my church. In deer season, the guys that have camps are gone anyway. We have a few bow hunters. They might miss a few Sundays in late October/early November.

Home Steeler games at 1 PM are the biggest killer for fall attendance at my church.

As for me, I might miss a few Sundays during the peak of the duck migration though
    CrossForkWookie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Sunday Huntng Article 2011/10/20 16:52:49 (permalink)

The Billboard a local church now has advertises masses several times a week on days other than Sunday. So seems to me the traditional Sunday thing is changing even in the Catholic church itself?????
    Jump to: