Just Fooling Around

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/14 23:49:20 (permalink)

Just Fooling Around

Took my daughter to soccer practice the other night. Had an hour and a half to kill, and I'd been nursing a sore neck/back. Thought maybe a little casting might stretch me out, but the closest stream was at least 20 minutes away.

The park where they play has a little lake behind it, polluted with bluegills, and several largemouths. Grabbed my gear and walked down to the bank. Tied on a wooly bugger and let it fly. The little bluegills were hysterical. They tried, but they have eyes bigger than their mouths...literally. Tied on a dry fly and cast after cast, they'd "attack" it.

Got to be a real exercise in timing the hookset. Those little guys were so subtle, and some of those flies (gnats) were so small you couldn't see them. Had to be sharp and time that boil. Soon enough, I found myself really focused on my timing. By the time I was done, I wanted to head to the river.

Little kids would come by with their parents and watch. ("Why is he whipping his line in the air like that?") They'd stand there, I'd hook into a "monster," and ask them to hold the rod while I tied my shoe, zipped up my vest, whatever...and told them that if they "felt a bite," they could reel them in. Soon, I had four little kids taking turns.

What a howl. Doing something silly turned into a really beneficial and entertaining outing. Lots of fun watching those little kids brag about their haul-ins. Made my evening.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

5 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Just Fooling Around 2011/10/15 07:22:32 (permalink)
    Good read Mo. Brought back memories of when I was a young 'un. Pops used to give me the rod - saying he had to light a cigarette. Little did I know - there was one on the end of the line. Good memories. Thanks for sharin.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Just Fooling Around 2011/10/15 10:26:37 (permalink)
    sweet!

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Just Fooling Around 2011/10/15 21:43:54 (permalink)
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Just Fooling Around 2011/10/17 08:02:37 (permalink)
     king of the kids for the day!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Just Fooling Around 2011/10/17 21:18:26 (permalink)
    when fishing with kids around, they should definitely be the focus; good job, it sounds like you hooked more than just some little fish today
    Jump to: