Send a private message to JakeF
Visit JakeF's homepage!
Find all posts by JakeF

#3 10-06-2011, 09:43 AM
JakeF
Administrator
Pro Staff

Re: ASMFC - Hearings on Atlantic Menhaden reduction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot stress strongly enough how important it is for YOU to take a moment to send in your message of support for these conservation measures.

The public comment deadline has been extended to 5:00 PM (EST) on November 2, 2011 and should be forwarded to:
Toni Kerns
Senior Fishery Management Plan Coordinator for Management
1050 N. Highland St.
Suite 200 A-N
Arlington, VA 22201;

703.842.0741 (FAX)

or by email to tkerns@asmfc.org(Subject line: Menhaden Draft Addendum V).

Here is a draft email that you may copy/paste. All you have to do is add your name and location. PLEASE do so immediately! I urge every single member to send this in. Please post in this thread after you have sent it, so that I can keep track of how many comments have been sent in by our membership.

Subject line: Menhaden Draft Addendum V

Hi Toni,
I am a recreational fisherman from _____ , and am concerned about the overfishing that is occurring in the Atlantic Menhaden fishery. Studies show that this fishery has been over fished in 32 out of the last 54 years, and the menhaden population has declined by at least 88% in the last 3 decades.

It is time for the ASMFC to take a proactive approach to the management of this fishery and uphold its mission statement of achieving "Healthy, self-sustaining populations for all Atlantic Coast fish species, or successful restoration well in progress, by the year 2015."

With regard to Addendum V, please register my support of the following options:

Management Options:

A. Thresholds
Option 1: Status Quo F Threshold (harvesting to a threshold of 8% of Maximum Spawning Potential (MSP).
Option 2: 15% MSP as an F Threshold (leaving a larger percentage of the spawning stock unfished, and lowering the threshold that determines whether or not the stock is considered 'overfished'.

I strongly support Option 2.

B. Targets
Management Options for changes in the F target Reference Point
Option 1: Status Quo F Target - Current target is a Fishing Mortality (F) target of 2.28, which exceeds both the threshold and the target, and has resulted in the current determination that overfishing IS occurring.
Option 2: 20% of MSP as an F target - This would result in a 27% reduction in harvest from 2010 levels
Option 3: 30% of MSP as an F target - This would result in a 37% reduction in harvest from 2010 levels
Option 4: 40% of MSP as an F target - This would result in a 45% reduction in harvest from 2010 levels

I strongly support Option 4.

2.3.2 Proposed Management Tools Options (These are the proposed options for tools that could be used to result in the reduction in harvest asked for above)

2.3.2.1 Recreational Fishery
Option 1: Status Quo - No recreational management measures
Option 2: Size Limits
Option 3: Bag Limits
Option 4: Seasonal Restrictions

Given the way that Menhaden are fished for and used recreationally, (i.e. snag and drop fishing, fishing to use for bait on site, etc.) neither size limits nor possession limits would be effective or enforceable, in my opinion. The ONLY measure that could actually stand any chance of being effective and enforceable is a seasonal restriction. I support Option 4.

2.3.2.2 Commercial Fishery
Option 1: Status Quo - The only harvest restriction currently in place is an annual quota in the Chesapeake, no quota limits elsewhere)
Option 2: Trip Limits - Catch is restricted using a maximum poundage allowance per trip or day.
Option 3: Gear Restrictions - Gear modifications (i.e mesh size, overall net size, etc) are used to reduce the amount of catch.
Option 4: Seasonal Closures - Season length is restricted to certain time periods.
Option 5: Area Closures - Fishing is prohibited in certain areas (i.e. spawning grounds, etc.)
Option 6: Quotas - limit on total amount of fish allowed to be harvested coast-wide.
Option 7: Effort Controls - Restriction on days at sea. Vessel size & capacity.
Option 8: Limited Entry - a limited number of participants would be permitted to fish commercially for Atlantic menhaden.

I support a suite of options including, but not limited to, Options 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, & 7.

I also feel that it is imperative that the ASMFC work with NOAA to develop comparative management measures for Federal Waters.

Thank you for your time and dedication to improving the health of this fishery.
Sincerely,

"CATCH 'EM--KISS 'EM--LET 'EM GO"

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to: