Moon River area of Georgian Bay

Author
3006savage
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points: 0
2011/10/05 16:29:55 (permalink)

Moon River area of Georgian Bay

I am going there fishing next week and wanted try and get some feedback from anyone who may have fished it. I will be targeting muskie and walleye primarily along with some bass.

9 Replies Related Threads

treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/06 23:05:16 (permalink)
    I fish a bit farther north out of Britt on the Magnetawan River and the Georgian Bay North and south of there. I haven't hook and line fished up there this time of year however I'm told the Muskies and Pike realy turn on. The whole lenth of Georgian Bay has huge Muskies and I wouldn't doubt a new World Record comes out of there in the next couple years.I lived up there years ago and Guided and Commercial Fished. This time of year I was either Guiding for duck hunting or Commercial fishing. There are Muskies there that would break the present world record. Possible pike also. In Britt they troll and cast for Muskie this time of year. Fisheries netted a 72 lb Muskie in Magnetawan River a couple of years ago.
    Jenna James
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/07 09:49:06 (permalink)
    Yes, I fished the magnetawan river with my dad when I was younger. Huge muskies in that area. A local bye
    the name of Ray Deshevy caught a 56lb out of there. We caught them in the 40lb range. My dad alway said
    the new world record would come out of that area. The fishing now is no where close to where it was in the
    late 70s and early 80s.
    Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/07 16:39:40 (permalink)

moon river musky ^^

Good luck, wish I could go with ya
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/09 10:14:24 (permalink)
    Jenna James, My brother and I worked up there in the 70s. You are right the fishing for toothed fish was better back then. However smallmouths have been fantastic the last 10 years and keep getting better. The Deshevy name is prominent in the area and I was taught how to fillet pike without bones by a Deshevy. The Pike have been coming back as are the Musky. Although we didn't land any big ones this year it wasn't through lack of trying. I generaly stay about 8 miles south of Britt-Mag River and fish for big Pike. Last year our biggest Pike was 23-26 lbs. I keep calling it 23 lbs and the locals call it 26. We had 2 scales one registered 23 one 26. It was a hog.It died but not through lack of trying to revive it on our part. We spent about 2 hrs trying to help that fish.I fished the Pike tourny with a local friend last year and he took first place.Another Britt friend took 3rd. It sure is a beautiful area. My brother and I have seen and hooked but not landed some truely hog pike that dwarfed that 23-26 lb,er. I also have friends that have had encounters with monster Musky. I have one friend up there that is probably trolling right now. His goal is to break the World Record. If I still lived there I would be doing the same.
    Jenna James
    Expert Angler
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/11 11:22:52 (permalink)
    Yes, My dad still makes a trip in September every year for muskies. I can remember walleye fishing and a 12lb
    was fairly common, not that way anymore. Can you remember which Deshevy it was? Good people...
    3006savage
    Novice Angler
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/16 09:43:39 (permalink)
    I just got back from my trip and it was a rough time. Weather was rainy and high winds. Fishing was terrible with 3 fish (2 Pike, 1 bass) between 4 of us in 3 days of fishing.

When we arrived we talked with a group of fishermen that were just heading out and the week before the fishing was also terrible with 1 fish caught in the whole group.

Worst of all is that I trolled a lot and hardly marked any fish at all. It was really surprising. I mark far more fish back here in PA.

I got to the point that two of the guys went out with worms to try and catch a blue gill or perch and could not get a bit in 6 hours of fishing.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/17 10:39:36 (permalink)
    3006 Savage, Weather rules in fishing.
    JennaJames, I do not remember what Deshevy,as he was living out of town and just visiting. When I lived up there I knew many locals
    and lots of them have passed away. I lived mostly in the Tourist Camps as I guided and also Commercial fished from Bushy Isl.( Blue Car),south shore. Went to many do's at the Legion Hall. I remember whem the Brit Hotel was an everymans place not a 5 star resteraunt.
    Jenna James
    Expert Angler
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/17 10:45:58 (permalink)
    yes, things have definately changed up there. back in the day, we couldn't troll down past the "Q" with out picking up a nice walleye.
    3006savage
    Novice Angler
    RE: Moon River area of Georgian Bay 2011/10/17 18:12:39 (permalink)
    I did some research on the moon after I was already committed to the outfitter(unfortuneatly) and found that the estimated walleye population is 1-30th (3%)of what it was approx 40 years ago with the average size much much smaller also. In fact the 2008 netting surveys had more musky than walleye if you can believe it. Smallmouth populations were over 15 times higher than walleye. I hope that the moon comes back but the surveys indicate that the populations are just staying flat for the most part.
    Jump to: