Favorite Month for Steelhead

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 07:36:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: fish whisper

The biggest snow storms are my favorite times to get out with the highest winds and most snow

this was a Thanksgiving trip I made years ago

]

pretty much had all the tribs to myself .
I don't mind snow at all.
but with the cold and the howling winds coupled with minimal open water that day, it was brutal .

now that I'm a buck past his prime, I don't bother to fish if the daytime highs aren't above 30.
Guess I've had enough bazzilon fish days over the years that I don't feel compelled to abuse my already abused arthritic body

..L.T.A.
post edited by genieman77 - 2011/10/06 07:38:58
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 489
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 10:08:13 (permalink)
It is possible to go out in nice weather and find fish in solitude in Erie, sometimes seeing no one else or only a couple people pass by the entire time.  These areas usually don't have huge numbers of fish stacked up on top of each other in every hole.  Just gota know when and where to look. 

I don't see how anyone can honestly say they would rather fish in a blizzard with howling winds compared to a nice fall day when the leaves are changing.  Or a nice sunny spring day after the winter ice has melted.   You guys saying that must only fish the most popular and most crowded areas on the tribs.
Pafisher4
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 12:16:10 (permalink)
Genie, that looks amazingly awesome. I bet it took about a week to thaw out after that trip.
SRflyfishin
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 12:51:30 (permalink)
Steelslayer,
I've only been steelhead fishing for 5 years, so I guess take this for what its worth, but I in fact do love fishing in a blizzard, snowing like a mother, wind howling, the cold stinging your face until its almost numb. The season of 08-09, I took a week vacation and spent it on the Erie tribs, knowing a storm was coming with double digits forecasted. When it did hit a lil after lunch time, the wind was blowing the sleet and snow perpendicular to the ground. This was my first time even attempting to fish in this sort of weather, but I was on vacation, and swore nothing would keep me off the tribs except an emergency from home. Trying to fly cast in those conditions was a real challenge, but was well worth it. In those few hours I caught only a few fish, and thinking about it now, I probably spent more time sitting on a nearby fallen tree, watching the small world around me change from brown to more than a foot of white powder. It snowed for the next 3 days and not many people were on the roads let alone the creeks. I did see the occasional Russian, but not too often.
You said "You guys saying that must only fish the most popular and most crowded areas on the tribs."
That week I never fished north of rte 5, and in fact fished the Elk access area for the first time yesterday.

After saying all this, I probably sound like someone who loves to go after fish through the ice, but actually hate ice fishing, but I'll never ride someone who does. Also won't ride someone who likes fishing down at Walnut or at the lake at Trout. Those just aren't what I hold dear to my heart about fishing. To me, I like the solitude, but I also enjoy taking my son out and letting him learn and experience some of the things that I enjoy. Not to mention that spending even a few hrs with your kids or grandkids with any type of fishing rods in hand, I think is some of the best experiences and memories I have.
Pafisher4
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 13:23:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SRflyfishin

Steelslayer,
I've only been steelhead fishing for 5 years, so I guess take this for what its worth, but I in fact do love fishing in a blizzard, snowing like a mother, wind howling, the cold stinging your face until its almost numb. The season of 08-09, I took a week vacation and spent it on the Erie tribs, knowing a storm was coming with double digits forecasted. When it did hit a lil after lunch time, the wind was blowing the sleet and snow perpendicular to the ground. This was my first time even attempting to fish in this sort of weather, but I was on vacation, and swore nothing would keep me off the tribs except an emergency from home. Trying to fly cast in those conditions was a real challenge, but was well worth it. In those few hours I caught only a few fish, and thinking about it now, I probably spent more time sitting on a nearby fallen tree, watching the small world around me change from brown to more than a foot of white powder. It snowed for the next 3 days and not many people were on the roads let alone the creeks. I did see the occasional Russian, but not too often.
You said "You guys saying that must only fish the most popular and most crowded areas on the tribs."
That week I never fished north of rte 5, and in fact fished the Elk access area for the first time yesterday.

After saying all this, I probably sound like someone who loves to go after fish through the ice, but actually hate ice fishing, but I'll never ride someone who does. Also won't ride someone who likes fishing down at Walnut or at the lake at Trout. Those just aren't what I hold dear to my heart about fishing. To me, I like the solitude, but I also enjoy taking my son out and letting him learn and experience some of the things that I enjoy. Not to mention that spending even a few hrs with your kids or grandkids with any type of fishing rods in hand, I think is some of the best experiences and memories I have.

Well said!
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 13:28:23 (permalink)
the snow is fun

I dig those crisp fall days when the sun starts dipping and casting shadows early in the afternoon

SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 14:08:50 (permalink)
I shouldn't have generalized everyone like that.  I just felt like everybody was saying they would rather fish in a blizzard strictly because of the crowds, but you obviously have other reasons which is cool.

Don't get me wrong I love fishing in the snow myself.  But when it gets to be blizzard conditions it just seems like a loosing battle with ice on the line and eyelets every single cast to me.  Almost everything you said you liked about your experiance, I can find around where I live. When I make a trip up to Erie and use vacation time from work, I'd rather go when conditions are more favorable.
SteelSlayer77
Expert Angler
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/06 14:28:00 (permalink)
Also, I never said that people don't or shouldn't like fishing in a blizzard.  I simply said that I have a hard time believing it would be anyone's "Favorite" time to fish in Erie, which is the topic of this thread, unless your an avid ice fisherman. 
Jenna James
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 445
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/07 09:51:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: steeLpunishment

ORIGINAL: Jenna James

What is everyone's favorite month to fish for Steelhead? I have always gone in early October but might head up
towards thanksgiving this year to avoid the crowds. What month and why?

would you buy kylers hOtdog?

for the secret answer?

KO
letmeno

What?
bigben7
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 885
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/07 17:45:40 (permalink)
Feb is my favorite  if i can find open water
steeLpunishment
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 273
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/07 18:43:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: steeLpunishment

What is everyone's favorite month to fish for Steelhead? I have always gone in early October but might head up
towards thanksgiving this year to avoid the crowds. What month and why?

would you buy kylers hOtdog?

for the secret answer?

KO
letmeno

What?

sorry jen wow
my mind somtimes wondr when its bored

just was wondrin if kyler open a hOtdog stand
would you buy a hoTdog from him
or not/

let me no

EETHOALDEY
WG666
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/07 20:43:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: fish whisper

The biggest snow storms are my favorite times to get out with the highest winds and most snow possible no joke I've have had some great memories of catching steelies in blizzards

X2.........have had some absolute banner days fishing in blizzards...the NW winds howling and jig fishing = great success!
><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/08 20:20:36 (permalink)
jan-feb for me the colder the better
bigtrout4x4
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/10 13:28:44 (permalink)
late dec thru feb, gotta love the ice jams!!
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/10 14:36:53 (permalink)
This month and I'll tell ya the same if you ask me next month.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

PACOFRANSICO
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 276
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/10 16:24:14 (permalink)
I had some of my best trips (productive) up there in sh*tty weather. I dont know snowing, windy, and frozen snot on your beard. Ask me then I'll be complaining about iced guides and and frozen hands. HA!

"If, when you pull a fly out you
dont hear drums and cant smell
chicken blood in the air, put it back
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Favorite Month for Steelhead 2011/10/10 20:46:34 (permalink)
I don't like the whole steelhead fishing experience enough to do it when the weather consists of anything much worse than 30 degrees and 3-4" of snow. Worse than that, I'd rather do something else. Shoot a deer, tie a fly or three, drink, watch football, ski, drink, watch hockey, maybe build a rod, or maybe even have a drink. Basically, something other than trying to convince a fat dumb fish to eat something it really doesn't want to eat. That's for when the weather is nicer.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: