Ny. Kings and Browns.

Author
RTSJICE
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/25 09:29:41 (permalink)

Ny. Kings and Browns.

I am wanting to get a mid priced reel in the 150.00-200.00 ranged and have heard that an excellent drag is the most important thing for the kings. Please give me some ideas on makes and models. Thanks for all your input.
Give me some fly patterns and sizes for both kings and browns as well. Once again thanks. This will be my first trip with the fly rod.

Roy

2 Replies Related Threads

BehrendFisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Ny. Kings and Browns. 2011/09/25 09:50:49 (permalink)
    The Lamson Konic is a pretty good reel at the lower end of your price range. It has the same drag system that Lamson puts in there more expensive reels. I use the 7/8wt one for steelhead with no problems. As far as fly patterns go, last time I went fishing in ny for browns we had most success with egg patterns especially ones with a bit of a veil around the egg. Like a red glo bug with an "egg" colored wingcase of egg yarn material. Good luck!

http://erieangling.blogspot.com/
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Ny. Kings and Browns. 2011/09/25 17:58:14 (permalink)
    lamson always makes a great reel for the money; never had a problem with sci angler as well... dont be affraid to ask this same question on the salmon river NY board... you can get a wealth of info... for browns; behrend is right with the eggs; i have always faired well with orange and white or just even straight up white... if fishing for lake fresh fish near the river mouths; dont be affraid to swing some bigger streamers... good luck...
    Jump to: