Safety - Bad example

Author
pole_doc
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 169
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/23 08:04:10 (permalink)

Safety - Bad example

last night I turned on one of the deer hunting shows that are on the tube 24/7 this time of year.  It was something about "tips for solo hunters."  Apparently it wasn't only about solo hunters as they showed 2 guys who had just bagged a huge buck.  They approached the deer and the second guy appropriately laid his gun down pointed away from them.  The shooter however, was so excited about the kill, that he didn't notice that he had the barrel of his gun pointed straight at the head of his partner.  It went on for a few seconds.  I had to call my 11 yo son down and replay it for him and told him that if he couldn't figure out what was wrong in this scene that he couldn't come hunting with me.  Hopefully the guy's clip and chamber were empty, but you have to always presume they aren't.  You'd think that the editor of the show would have cut that out, or MUCH BETTER focus on it as an example of what not to do.
On a related issue, I wish these shows would spend more time discussing tactics and tips than just showing the big kills.  There was one, deeranddeerhunting.com that really got into the timing of the rut, temperature, time after the full moon and fall equinox, etc.  I'd like to see more of that.

4 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Safety - Bad example 2011/09/23 08:36:08 (permalink)
    D&D is one of the better ones. Yet, they still do spend enough time on QDM to annoy me enough to keep the flipper in my hand. I have trouble watching alot of them. I was sitting in a sports bar in the dallas airport last week where three big screens were showing hank parker dump cmere deer all over the place. It was in Texas to boot. Not sure how much that is practiced in texas but it's such a poor representation of what I think hunting is and should be about. Some lady turned the channel, thankfully.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    pole_doc
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Safety - Bad example 2011/09/23 09:02:21 (permalink)
    ???QDM???
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Safety - Bad example 2011/09/23 09:16:03 (permalink)
    Remember TV is to promote hunting products. Many hunters will lay their weapon in front of the deer for filming often with the muzzle pointing at them or a bystander. I agree that this sends a wrong message.Consider it entertainment and take with a grain of salt kinda like some of the ones that post on here.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Safety - Bad example 2011/09/23 11:10:27 (permalink)
    Quality deer management.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: