Bow question

Author
Dan0348
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/21 19:14:53 (permalink)

Bow question

Recently my father gave me a bigger bow to use as this will be my 2nd year achery hunting he gave me his old Jennings Lightning. I was wondering if anybody has ever used this bow and I was wondering if its a pretty decent bow.

Lets Go Pen's!

10 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/21 20:09:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dan0348

Recently my father gave me a bigger bow to use as this will be my 2nd year achery hunting he gave me his old Jennings Lightning. I was wondering if anybody has ever used this bow and I was wondering if its a pretty decent bow.

I really hate to respond to this kinda of post but here goes. The Lighting is pretty outdated but if that's what you have to shoot by all means learn to shoot it properly and know it's limitations. With metal round wheel hangers and a steel cable harness don't expect this bow to perform with the newer hunting rigs. Make sure the bow fits you properly as far as draw length. I believe the draw length can be changed by moving the cable into one of three slots on the wheel. Have it set up for you,practice,know your limits and most of all enjoy your time out hunting. Not that it matters but just wondering your age ?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/21 20:35:02 (permalink)
       This antique hunter is still using a very  old Hoyt compound. Just keep tellin myself how it was the cats eye once upon a time when I bought it- you may not have been born at that time.
      Its like OA said get to know it and how to shoot it and if its anything like my antique it will still take all kinda game for ya. The first thing is the HUNTER- then its the limitations on the equipment. If you can get in range itl do the job and do it quite well.
      Just remember to use the arrows and heads that will conform to THAT bow and not necessarily something a decade or two newer.
      Would suggest ya take it into a shop and have someone adjust it to YOU and check the cable and setup for ya. 
         BTW a trigger release will make some of the older bows much more shooter friendly. The shop can setup the cable for that pretty easy.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/09/21 20:52:40
    Dan0348
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/21 21:13:56 (permalink)
    Im only 18 but have been shooting my old bow since I was about 12 still never harvested a deer with a bow yet as this is only my 2nd year archery hunting. I grew outta my bow as ive taken a few years off from archery hunting but my dad told me to harvest a deer or two with this bow and see if archerys something I want to stick with and he will get me a new bow if I want.

Lets Go Pen's!
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/21 21:28:35 (permalink)
    That's cool. Your lucky to have a father that shares the same interest as you. Take his advise and give it try. I can see his point as purchasing a new or newer bow can be costly now days. Most important is to practice good woodsmanship and know your equipment.Don't take any risky shots at game. Be patient. Good luck and keep us posted.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/22 13:30:16 (permalink)
        Same as OA- good luck- its a great sport. PRACTICE PRACTICE- and wait for the right broadside shot. Arrows aint like bullets they really need that broadside to get the job done the right way.
      Ona my happiest outdoor things was seein my youngest kid drop his first bow deer. It only went bout 30 yards with a nice broadside pass through.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/09/22 15:01:33
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/22 18:17:23 (permalink)
    Dan, you need to angle that arrow into the boiler room. The best shot you can get on a deer with your bow, is not broad side. It is, the deer slightly quartering away from you. This way you can angle the arrow into the lungs and heart area.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/22 18:50:26 (permalink)
    Your up RT......
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/22 20:48:07 (permalink)
        Welll have shot one or two from time to time and Ill take the slight quartering shot whenever it is presented- That said a simple broadside is often tough enough to get and the double lung is just fine for me. Kills the deer pretty quick too. Matter of fact if the legs just right its makes a decent heart shot without havin ta go through more than ribs as well.
       That having been said it certainly DOES make a difference on larger game with heavier bone mass than Deer - in the case of larger stuff a quartering shot is sometimes the only thing to consider-Bear being a prime example with the very heavy shoulder bone mass. Have never even considered  a bow shot on one without some foreward penetration.

OA----closer?
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/09/22 21:22:40
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/22 23:52:25 (permalink)
    Just didnt want the kid to gut shot the thing was all. Trying to make him aware of where the boiler room is.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: Bow question 2011/09/23 02:51:03 (permalink)
    Dano,don't be afraid to use and old bow,as long as you know how to use it.I used a very old XI bow made by Miles Keller.that was slow shooting bow,and my friends laugh at it,but I killed 30 plus deer with it,and most of them killed nothing with their 300 plus fps bows.Its all about shot placement,put it in the lung,heart,liver area dead deer,plain and simply.Go hunting and have fun,don't throw arrows at any deer you see,I can shoot 30 yards but have killed only one buck at 32 yards.Bow hunting is about CLOSE shooting 90 percent of my kills have been from 5- 25 yards. Last year hunted out of a ground blind and love it,shot a buck at 12 yards and a doe at 18,very fun hunts on the ground.
    Jump to: