Fly rod actions effect on roll casting

Author
jah1317
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/19 10:50:25 (permalink)

Fly rod actions effect on roll casting

Anyone have any input on how a fly rods action affects/effects roll casting. I currently have a moderate action Okuma SLV that I like but I am wondering if a faster tip may help get the line out easier. I test drove a Reddington with a fast action the other day (just handling it in the store no reel or line) and it seemed to have a bit more snap. However, it could just be that I would like a shiny new rod and thought it felt that way. I am practicing in the yard and on the water, to try to get the technique down and just have it look and feel natural but have not gotten there yet.

Thanks,

Jacob

5 Replies Related Threads

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Fly rod actions effect on roll casting 2011/09/19 11:36:38 (permalink)
    it is hard to roll cast on grass or driveway because you need the surface tension water provides to load the rod.  as for which is easier, i think the moderate will roll cast better than a fast rod.  but then again i was never great at roll casting.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly rod actions effect on roll casting 2011/09/19 12:48:23 (permalink)
    i found my med/fast and fast action rods roll cast way better than my medium action and with less effort and arm movement.
    a faster action should roll cast a lot easier, with weight forward line, than a softer action. also a longer rod roll casts better.
    in short distance i find a DT line is much more effective.
    this is my own experience.

like RIZ says, water surface tension makes for better practice when roll casting.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Fly rod actions effect on roll casting 2011/09/19 13:16:31 (permalink)
    For me, the faster the better.  In the most simplistic of explanation you need the snap of a faster rod to get enough power generated from the surface tension in a short distance.  A softer action rod defeats this power by flexing further down the blank and remaining flexed in your forward motion, if that makes sense.
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Fly rod actions effect on roll casting 2011/09/19 13:28:17 (permalink)
    Thanks gents! Thats what I figured,it would take more to load the med action with less energy released..... well, looks like I need to buy a new rod........ well, not need but want.

Thanks again!

Jacob
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2521
    RE: Fly rod actions effect on roll casting 2011/09/19 20:10:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

For me, the faster the better.  In the most simplistic of explanation you need the snap of a faster rod to get enough power generated from the surface tension in a short distance.  A softer action rod defeats this power by flexing further down the blank and remaining flexed in your forward motion, if that makes sense.
    Yep, what he said.

Jump to: