Which X-Bow?

Author
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/14 16:18:16 (permalink)

Which X-Bow?

Thinking of buying an X-Bow for my son to use for a couple of years before we trade when I can't or don't want to pull my compound anymore. He's tried my compound and isn't comfortable pulling the weight and I've noticed that I don't like it so much anymore either. Anyway, I'm considering the TenPoint Titan HLX. What are your thoughts?

20 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/14 16:41:47 (permalink)
    GF has one ,no complaints.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/15 10:49:50 (permalink)
    I bought the Wicked Ridge for my son. It is made by tenpoint, but has a couple nice features, like the foregrip that won't let fingers slip up and toward the string.

They are also significantly cheaper than the ten point. I bought it because they are made by the same people and my brother has a tenpoint that I like better than my dad's excalibur.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/15 12:15:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

I'm considering the TenPoint Titan HLX. What are your thoughts?

Nice bow.  Great company, outstanding warranty and customer service.  Can't say anything negative about it. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/15 13:47:43 (permalink)
    I put both the Titan and Fushion through my chronograph and both were at the speed they were rated at. I don't always get those same results from other mfg's. One reason we own Tenpoints.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/15 14:10:28 (permalink)
    Sounds like it's the way to go, thanks for the input guys... Didn't think I'd ever buy one...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/15 15:05:34 (permalink)
    I never thought I would own one either. I won one at a club once and then sold it and upgraded to a TenPoint. Not something I prefer to archery hunt with but it has its place.I still like to, and still able to hunt with a conventional compound. Good Luck.
    BIG WAGS
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 334
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/15 22:20:03 (permalink)
    I have the Ten point TL4 with the 3 dot red dot scope.
    I am not as strong as I once was and compounds are out for me.
    I have the accudraw 50. makes it a cinch to****...
    I am totally impressed with the accuracy of mine.
    (I am more accurate with this bow than I am with my rifle....lol)

anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 08:08:21 (permalink)
    Take a look at Excaliber xbows. I got one for my wife last year and my father liked hers so much he bought one as well. My wife was shooting a group of 6inches (6 arrows) at 50 yards in the first 15 minutes of shooting the bow.

The recurve limbs have sveral great advantages.
    They are a simpler design, less moving parts less to go wrong.

Their weight is generally less that other brands because there is no need for more parts.

They shoot just as fast if not faster than other bows in the same price range. (if you can reach the same arrow speed with a simple recurve limb, why have the complex compound system?)

You can unstring the bow in the off season and allow the limbs to relax, you cant do that with any compond bows with out a press (xcaliber you can unstring in the field)

Awesome warrenty

The one disadvantage I have seen is they are a little wider, as compaired to my wifes old ten point. But hands down the excaliber is a far better xbow than the ten point.

At least take a look at excaliber xbows, and think how much better a simple tool is better than a unneccessarly complex one.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 08:34:04 (permalink)
    Dad has the excalibur, brother has the tenpoint. I have shot both a lot. I like the tenpoint better as a hunting tool.

One piece of advice. junk the red dot scope and spend the money for the excalibur brand lumizone scope. The one where you dial your speed in and all the marks are then on for you. It is flat out cool and the groups are awesome at any distance.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 12:25:58 (permalink)
    www.kodabow.com made right here in PA and in my opinion one of the best there is!

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 14:06:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

Dad has the excalibur, brother has the tenpoint. I have shot both a lot. I like the tenpoint better as a hunting tool.

One piece of advice. junk the red dot scope and spend the money for the excalibur brand lumizone scope. The one where you dial your speed in and all the marks are then on for you. It is flat out cool and the groups are awesome at any distance.

I agree. I also use this same scope. A lot of multi reticle scopes are not calibrated to match the bows speed. AS MM mentioned you can adjust the Excalibur scope.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 14:32:27 (permalink)
    You can unstring the bow in the off season and allow the limbs to relax, you cant do that with any compond bows with out a press (xcaliber you can unstring in the field)

My question to this would be why ? Why would you relax a compound x-bow or any counmpound bow? BTW you change the string on both without a press, jus sayin..
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 16:20:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

My question to this would be why ? Why would you relax a compound x-bow or any counmpound bow? BTW you change the string on both without a press, jus sayin..

One would want to unstring their bow in the off season to not have unnessary stress on the limbs. Just because the bow is not calked does not mean the limbs are at zero stress, over time this will reduce the power the bow creates, how long it takes, i dont know.

But to give you compairisons of other item people will generally reduce stress on are, taking all the bullets out of there clips for the rifle so the spring does not become weak, dry firing there rifle when putting it away so the spring on the firing pin is not loose its power, A good friend of mine loosens the drags on all of his reels when he is done so the drags can relax when in storage.

Also by being able to destring your bow with out a press means you can replace a string in the field, that is an advantage if you nick your string with a broad head when your out hunting.

Another advantage is you can uncalk the bow with out having to shoot it, that can save you an arrow or two a season or a car ride home with a calked xbow.

How can you unstring a compound xbow with out a press?
    post edited by anzomcik - 2011/09/16 16:22:57
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 17:58:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: anzomcik

ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

You can unstaring the bow in the off season and allow the limbs to relax, you cant do that with any compound bows with out a press (xcaliber you can unstring in the field)

My question to this would be why ? Why would you relax a compound x-bow or any compound bow? BTW you change the string on both without a press, jus sayin..

One would want to unstring their bow in the off season to not have unnessary stress on the limbs. Just because the bow is not calked does not mean the limbs are at zero stress, over time this will reduce the power the bow creates, how long it takes, i dont know.

But to give you compairisons of other item people will generally reduce stress on are, taking all the bullets out of there clips for the rifle so the spring does not become weak, dry firing there rifle when putting it away so the spring on the firing pin is not loose its power, A good friend of mine loosens the drags on all of his reels when he is done so the drags can relax when in storage.

Also by being able to destring your bow with out a press means you can replace a string in the field, that is an advantage if you nick your string with a broad head when your out hunting.

Another advantage is you can uncalk the bow with out having to shoot it, that can save you an arrow or two a season or a car ride home with a calked xbow.

How can you unstring a compound xbow with out a press?

I understand what you are saying but the materials used for bow limbs are quite different than spring steel. As far as re stinging a compound a dowel is placed at 90 degrees from parallel at the top of the limb near the cam. A cable connects the two dowels. Once the bow is drawn the dowels are placed on the outside of the limbs and cable strung through split limb. No need for a $700. press. If proper care is taken a string and harness will last a long time.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/16 21:48:08 (permalink)
    I would agree that steel is differnt than than the materials used for archery equiptment, but the same principle would apply. Nothing lasts forever and all materials have a life before fatigue takes its toll. I was pointing out that Excaliber xbows have a inexpensive tool that makes unstrings their bows a 20 secound job, and can be done anywhere.

I think i understood what you wrote about unstringing a compound bow, it was a little confuseing to read. A general over view is you have a cable and two dowls with a cross hole in the middle attached on either end of the cable. The cable is the exact perfect length to fit snug with the bow limbs in tention. Correct? Then you release the bow string by pulling the trigger and then the bow string is slack enought for you to remove the string and then you wrestle on a new one?

I agree also with propper care your bow string should have a very long life, however i am sure everyone has had some mishap with something that has shortened its life. It does not happen offten, but you cant rule it out.

So to get back on track, BullDog1. I have given my thoughts on xbows, enjoy the shopping experence because that is half the fun. A piece of advise my father always told me was, look at all your options and pick the one that fits you best.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/17 03:27:49 (permalink)
    a general over view is you have a cable and two dowls with a cross hole in the middle attached on either end of the cable. The cable is the exact perfect length to fit snug with the bow limbs in tension. Correct? Then you release the bow string by pulling the trigger and then the bow string is slack enough for you to remove the string and then you wrestle on a new one?

Sorry for not being a little clearer on explain the cable devise. You can also put a turn buckle in the middle of the cable and turn until string is loose enough to remove. No need to draw it back the whole way and release with trigger. It takes very little pressure to relax the string. I never had to wrestle anything to change a string or harness on a crossbow or conventional compound. One other thing to consider when buying a cross bow is ease of drawing it back. If a mechanical draw system is used no problem. If a rope kocker is used compare before buying if in doubt.
    katfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/17 23:13:15 (permalink)
    i have a hlx and i love it nice and small a little lighter than most of the x-bows out there, easy to pull back with the acudraw 50 on it.. is a little noise but your have that..i say go for it...my buddie has the wicked ridge and it doesnt seem nearly as powerful..hope this helps.. if you need more info inbox me
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/20 22:34:18 (permalink)
    If you want to spend under 500, check out the wicked ridge warrior package for around 400. Tough to beat for the money. If you want to go more, the horton vision is a compact very quite bow. All ten points are nice, the stealth xlt is tought to beat for the price. Parker tornado, another nice bow for over 500 bucks.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/29 10:27:54 (permalink)
    UPDATE: This whole crossbow thing is way more interesting than I thought. I can't believe how accurate and consistent this thing is. It's looking like if I ever want to hunt with one I'll have to buy another one, my son loves this thing. Thanks for all the input guys...
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Which X-Bow? 2011/09/29 19:12:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

UPDATE: This whole crossbow thing is way more interesting than I thought. I can't believe how accurate and consistent this thing is. It's looking like if I ever want to hunt with one I'll have to buy another one, my son loves this thing. Thanks for all the input guys...

Good Luck,have fun and know your limitations as with any weapon. On a personal note as a owner and shooter of both the X-box is a piece of cake compared to a vertical compound. Glad to hear your boy is enjoying it and getting the opportunity to get out and hunt.
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2011/09/30 00:11:41
    Jump to: