First carp on the fly

Author
pwk5017
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points: 0
2011/09/12 20:46:46 (permalink)

First carp on the fly

After reading posts/threads and some blogs on carp fly fishing, I was convinced it was a highly underrated species to target with a fly rod. In the past week, I would estimate I spent 4-5 hours stalking carp and casting over them. No takes, until 6pm today at a local pond. I landed my fly a foot away from this fish and he hammered it. Easily one of the most exciting takes/presentations, because stalking carp in the shallows is such a visual thing. I set the hook and had my heart racing expecting my 5wt to be bent in half and my reel to be screaming. Instead, the carp casually swam in to shore towards me and that was it. Seriously, what the hell happened? How has the common carp been nicknamed the "golden bone" or "poor man's bonefish"???? You spend hours stalking these hogs, and when you do get a take, it just totally sucks. This pond does not receive much fishing pressure, so I cant really piece together why this fish did not fight/struggle in the least. Was this a fluke or do carp sometimes roll over and submit when you hook them?

Patrick

Attached Image(s)

16 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/12 22:11:27 (permalink)
    From my experience the first and last five feet or so of the fight are about all they have. Now and then you get one that's pretty lively though. I have yet to get mine on a fly, cuz I'm horrible at fly casting mainly. So I use my noodle rod or a lt. spinning setup and a couple pieces of corn. What kinda fly did you use? I've tried yellow egg patterns soaked in corn juice. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it in the zone. A lady fish is a poor man's tarpon, compare those two fights...
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/12 22:27:17 (permalink)
    Really, I have read many anglers praising the power and runs of the carp. This fish was shockingly docile. The second I set the hook, it half attempted to dive into some weeds, which I promptly steered it clear of. After that lame attempt to subvert me, I was thinking, "oh boy, now its really going to make a run for it and rip the rod out of my hands". It didnt. The whole time I was expecting it to catch on that it was hooked and really explode, but it never did.

The fly was a pink san juan worm. Alot of the blog guys suggest some heavily weighted crayfish imitations. I figured a worm imitation is a pretty solid choice in just about every fishing situation. Mostly, I think its about dropping your fly right on its nose-- no joke, you gotta be real accurate.

I didnt know what a lady fish was, so I googled it. It looks pretty weak, so Im not sure if I would expect it to be anywhere near the power of a tarpon. Atleast the carp looks robust.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/13 08:39:51 (permalink)
    I think the whole poor man's bone fish thing just stems from the way you Target them. Looking for tails and stalking them. If they really fought that good a bone fish would be a poor man's carp right? They can run very hard at times, just usually for only about 5 or 6 feet. Even w 6lb test. But hey It's still fun. I'd say keep at it if I were you. Their weight and size is also much more apparent in current. Did you get it in a lake?
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/13 11:35:30 (permalink)
    haha, thats exactly what I was thinking! I was like these sob's are so fat that they are probably insane in a current, because of their large surface area. Yeah, this one was out of a big pond/small lake.
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/13 15:54:39 (permalink)
    Some of them are like that. That's all I can say. When I go to bigger moving waters "normally" they pool hard and I have a blast with them. I have also caught them in smaller streams and it seems those are the fish more prone to "giving up". Not all in the small streams do, but more than in the big water. I also noticed when it's gawd awful hot out they tire faster. All in all I'd never stop fishing for carp with a fly rod because of a lazy fish or two. I get to see my backing fishing for carp more so than any other fresh water fish I've caught.
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/13 19:18:03 (permalink)
    Yeah, I assumed this particular fish was a fluke; im not turned off at all! It has been alot of fun stalking up on these fish in the shallows. The tension of not spooking them and then having to make a great cast adds to the experience. I rarely sight fish, so this is something new and different. Any tips on how to increase my hookup rate? I was out for an hour today and had 3 great opportunities where I landed my fly on a cruising carp in about 2' of water. 2 out of the 3 chances, the fish casually swam over to the area my fly sank and then I saw the fish invert and i suppose potentially inhale and spit out my fly. Its so murky, I cant see enough to know if the fish has my fly. Both times I just strip set the hook and failed to hook the fish. Do you fish with an indicator or how exactly do you know the fish has your fly? Also, if you dont mind steelhound, what are some of your favorite patterns for carp in ponds/lakes? So far, I have just been fishing san juan worms and hares ear/other generic nymphs.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/13 22:26:41 (permalink)
    Cooling water temps = Slugglish carp especially in warmwater ponds in my experiance. Fished a local pond yesterday and every carp came right in, fished a river today and everyone of them fought just because that river is normally cold year round and the carp are use to it there. Want a fighter try a larger coolwater river this time of year.

If you want more hookups ditch the fly stuff and get the bait book out But if you really want to continue with flies...White, Red, Black are awesome colors, some guys will say carp are frightened by bright colors, that's a load of bull. Carp are curious fish if it looks like food and catches their eye they'll grab it without question especially if you got a group competivily feeding just mindlessy grabbing whatever stuff before another one beats them to it.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/13 22:52:56 (permalink)
    I fish 95% for carp now. I used to fish for everything else but found carp to be more challenging. The challenge comes from the larger fish of course and how picky they are down to the glint of a hook spooking them off. I never fly fished for them buy know many that do. Once in a while you get ones that just don't have a good fight to them just like any fish out there. I disagree with most carp only fight for 5 feet at first and 5 feet at the end but of course some will do that. lol If you saw some of the fish I have had and how hard they fought it would make better sense. I had one on last year that kept taking drag for around 50 yards and fought the whole time and then when it finally got close to the net went right back out again and this is with heavy duty stuff.I would say keep at it and I am sure you will get something more enjoyable soon enough.
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 453
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/14 08:50:59 (permalink)
    Pwk. I've never used San jaun worms, and I've also never had any luck with indicators. I like to throw crayfish patters. I usually fish when the water is clear and the sun is bright, and make sure you wear polarized glasses. Like you said make sure you strip strike because if you do miss the fish the fly will be in the water and that strip normally will trigger a strike for you
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/14 13:48:56 (permalink)
    Accord what kind of tackle were you using when the carp kept running 50 yds? Almost every one I've caught could be turned at will w 6lb test trout/panfish tackle. Was it in a river? Just curious, I hear about these fights and just keep down sizing my gear and they just never seem to run very far. Still love catchin em though.
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/14 19:20:35 (permalink)
    Alright, that first one must have been having a rough day or something(perhaps its body of water is to blame?). I hooked into this one today on a medium sized stream and had an awesome battle. Made 3-4 solid runs where I just let my drag do its thing as it stripped off 50-60' of line. Never took me into my backing, but I was pretty aggressive while playing him, because there were plenty of fallen trees and brush piles that were a concern. Seriously, I'm no weakling, but this thing tired my right arm a bit. I hope the rest fight like this one. So, is this just the difference between stream fish and stillwater fish? I measured this guy in photoshop to be about 21-22" and it felt like 8lbs, so not an immense carp by any stretch, but one of the better fights on my 5wt.

Attached Image(s)

accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/14 21:06:50 (permalink)
    I have had these fights all over the place from rivers to lakes. I think type of carp plays a big role also genetically speaking. Usually some of the hardest fighters have a very wide tails which equals more power. Some of the ones I have caught have had tails over 10 inches from top to bottom easily. I know this may sounds dumb buy maybe you are fishing too light to feel the fight? Are they just peeling out your line so you never really get the rod action? Not trying to sound like a smarta** so hope you don't take it that way. I remember my friend was using 4lb test and he didn't have as much fun than using something a little heavier so the rod was able to play the fish and have more control. I myself have a few setups I use. I have a 9foot setup for smaller fish and tight areas and my 12foot setup with big pit reels which are basically a surf type reel. Just to give you an idea of the strength of the rod a bass rod is rated around 3/4oz and my carp rods are rated at 3.5lbs to bend them. My reels are bait runner reels and hold up to 600 yards.
    ORIGINAL: FishinGuy

Accord what kind of tackle were you using when the carp kept running 50 yds? Almost every one I've caught could be turned at will w 6lb test trout/panfish tackle. Was it in a river? Just curious, I hear about these fights and just keep down sizing my gear and they just never seem to run very far. Still love catchin em though.

accordbw
    Expert Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/14 21:13:36 (permalink)
    Just another thing to add the lightest line I use is 12lb mono but use 50lb braid most of the time. The thing I do is really downsize my end tackle. Most guys think you need big hooks but a lot of my big fish are caught on 6's which are around 3/4inch long.Small baits are esential as well.

Fishnguy what part of the state are you from? If I am in the area sometime I can take you and show you some different things. I travel all over so may end up in your area eventually.
    post edited by accordbw - 2011/09/14 21:19:00
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/14 23:14:49 (permalink)
    I've been doing the majority of my carp fishing this season at mammoth lake. I live in jeannette. I'm actually extremely busy right now working, remodeling my kitchen and planning a wedding, so my fishing time is limited to stalking a few for an hour while my fiance jogs. I started carping w my catfish gear, med ugly stik lt pro w 20lb braid 8lb flouro leader and a bait runner. Also a med ugly stik tiger w 50lb braid n 20 or 40lb leader. I still throw the lighter one way out while I stalk w the lt tackle. I've just never had One run that far. No matter what I'm using.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/27 08:36:04 (permalink)
    Hooked into one in swift current yesterday, fought much much better. But still no long runs, fought him for about 5min before the hook pulled free. Much better fight and he did run about 20 ft straight into the fastest white water in the area and Hung out there for a bit. He looked to be over 10lbs and I could still turn him almost at will w 4lb braid and my lt action ugly stick. Someday.....
    pwk5017
    Novice Angler
    RE: First carp on the fly 2011/09/27 22:26:50 (permalink)
    Fishinguy,

I have only caught three carp, so by no means a large survey, but each one has been distinctly different. #1 did nothing. #2 fought like hell and made 3-4 fast runs. #3 was relentless and slow. If all carp fought like the second one, I am not sure I would pursue another warmwater fish.
    Jump to: