Custom rods

Author
kill3ducks1deer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/24 22:35:06 (permalink)

Custom rods

Not really sure how to ask this, but what makes a custom rod custom? Like what is the difference between a rod bought at the store or one made by someone building rods? When my fly fishing skills get decently better i was thinking of getting a light rod for wild trout and wasnt sure if i should get it custom or just buy it from a well known company

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it." Ed Zern

25 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/24 22:50:39 (permalink)
    Lots of things can make a custom rod better... Lengths that you can't get from a factory.... A grip made to fit your hand.... The guide spacing can usually be improved on.... Carbon fiber grips... Different types of cork... Custom colors... Custom Butt wraps I could go on and on

Do you need a custom Rod... No 95% of the fisherman out there will always be happy with a factory rod.....

If you are interested in a small stream rod I build a lot of them and would be happy to talk to you about one....

You'll never see a grip like this on a factory rod

kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/24 23:03:28 (permalink)
    I will be eventually, i want to improve my fly fishing skills before i spend alot on a new rod, but i was just curious what made the difference between a custom rod and a factory rod

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/24 23:07:50 (permalink)
    Picking and choosing components is one of the benefits.  Biggest of all, the guide spacing can ALWAYS be improved on over a factory rod.
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/24 23:20:59 (permalink)
    what exactly is the big deal about the guide spacing?

Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/25 07:54:38 (permalink)
    Optimizes casting and distribution of load on the blank.  Every blank is different, even blanks of the same model, so by static testing, you can locate the guides where they need to be, not where a 'chart' tells you to put them.
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/25 20:07:03 (permalink)
    killducksanddeer

why a custom rod?

look here

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27845
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/25 20:16:14 (permalink)
    ya all that seems alot like unnecessary fishing "bling", just would make the cost alot more

SimmsFlyGuy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/26 13:52:38 (permalink)
    Wait until you get better and can tell the difference between casting a low and high end rod. High end factory rods can get very pricey too: see Orvis, Scott, Winston, Sage etc... I had Skip build me a couple of rods that IMO performs that compete with rods 2 and 3 times their price from the factory. Custom doesn't mean "bling", it means "exactly what you want in a rod".
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/26 14:03:14 (permalink)
    Custom rods are far more superior than a factory one if built by the right person.  All the above mentioned are great reasons to go custom, but the biggest benefactor is owning a piece of equipment that is made for what you want, and does what you want it to do better and more efficiently than something you can just buy off the shelf.  There are endless choices for a custom rod out there, and with a little imagination coupled with the right skill set a fishing rod can become more than just a piece of equipment.
    PAFLYBOY2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/26 22:48:01 (permalink)
    And besides, some of us like that "fishing bling." There's so much more to fishing than just catching fish...
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/27 01:27:24 (permalink)
    They are fully functional works of hand crafted art.
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/27 13:56:18 (permalink)
    And in my experience with both Loomis and Skip, you get a rod better suited to you and the application you want along with a price point that has been better (IMO) than a store bought top end rod...

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2984
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/27 19:28:00 (permalink)
    I agree with y'all.
    There are some very nice performing, inexpensive blanks out there. Some real sleepers.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/27 22:44:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kill3ducks1deer

ya all that seems alot like unnecessary fishing "bling", just would make the cost alot more

Custom doesn't mean "bling", it means "exactly what you want in a rod"

Well said. I've had Skip build me two, and both ended up very low key...which is how I prefer things.

By the time it's all said and done, for me, I get a rod that I'd have liked to own the stock version, but with a bunch of little tweaks and adjustments just for me, at a price that is still very very good.
    kill3ducks1deer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/28 12:03:29 (permalink)
    I wasnt talking about the little tweaks you like, i was talking about all the fancy wraps, and colors on the handle of the rod sudsy posted. I guess i understand the tweaks you are talking about because i only like certain rod for my bass fishing, guess its the same for fly rods to you guys

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/28 17:38:36 (permalink)
    I wasnt talking about the little tweaks you like, i was talking about all the fancy wraps, and colors on the handle of the rod sudsy posted.

Well for me, that's what custom means, not all that flashy stuff. To me, anything much beyond a little accent wrap is the fishing equivalent of this:

Some people like it, I ain't one of em. I respect the skill that goes into it, but I have no desire to own one. Still, custom rods have a place in the rotation for my fishing. :)
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/28 20:16:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

I wasnt talking about the little tweaks you like, i was talking about all the fancy wraps, and colors on the handle of the rod sudsy posted.

Well for me, that's what custom means, not all that flashy stuff. To me, anything much beyond a little accent wrap is the fishing equivalent of this:

Some people like it, I ain't one of em. I respect the skill that goes into it, but I have no desire to own one. Still, custom rods have a place in the rotation for my fishing. :)

Gee. does that mean I have to tear off the 13 color basket weave on your boo?

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/29 08:01:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kill3ducks1deer

I wasnt talking about the little tweaks you like, i was talking about all the fancy wraps, and colors on the handle of the rod sudsy posted. I guess i understand the tweaks you are talking about because i only like certain rod for my bass fishing, guess its the same for fly rods to you guys

I have an example for you to check out.

Here is one of my fly rods, a factory G-Loomis streamdance. I acquired this rod after I broke an older model and sent it in for replacement, this was after G-loomis was bought by Shimano. This thing retails for $655.00; Fine, I have no problem paying for a quality piece because I do enough fishing. However, when I got this rod and inspected it, I was very displeased at what I saw. If I would have paid retail for this thing I would have sent it back and here is why:

Look at this guide wrap here, you can tell that a worker at the plant mishandled this before the finish was cured and let it either rest against something, or mishandled it, whatever the case my be. Now, this does NOTHING to the functionality of the rod, however, it is very displeasing to someone who noticed knowing it is there, not something you would expect from a rod that costs as much as my Mortgage payment a month. The epoxy should be flat, smooth, level and free of any surface inclusions.

THAT LOOKS AWFUL!

Here is another example of the production mistakes that happen to factory rods. I circled the bubble in the stripping guide tunnel for you to see. When you have a number to meet in order to go home to your family before the night, that appalling bubble there doesn't seem like the worst thing that has ever happened, right? However, not only is that bubble very displeasing to the eye, it is also a hazard for cracking and pre-mature ware, and/or blank failure. Again, there is your money at work....Chances are this wont affect anything, but still it's there and it annoys me to no end.

Now, rod guys make the same mistakes when building rods, however, these can be corrected or reconciled depending on the amount of quality control, pride or whatever the case that one puts into their work. If an accident like that happened, you can ALMOST guarantee that it won't be sent to you like that. The finish work of a custom rod builder should be flat, level smooth and as close to perfect as the individual can provide, but that has it's variance too.  There is simply no excuses for sacrifices of quality, and that is where the reward comes for both the craftsman and the consumer. No matter how fancy or simple a crafted rod is, it should follow the guidelines of quality that are apart of the industry.

Check out the difference in finish here and I think you can see what I mean:

In essence, it is this quality and attention to detail that you are paying for. Pay close attention to the rods that you see in the store and the rods that you own. Take a night and really delve into how they are made, you will start to see more and more mistakes and blemishes that you would have never noticed before.

post edited by Loomis - 2011/08/29 08:17:28
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/29 09:15:58 (permalink)
    Great post, Loomis.

Definitely easier to understand when you look at it as the difference between some dUUd in a factory that has to do 50 or more of these things (that he will never have to see again) before he can go home, and a guy that's building just yours...for days or weeks...whose reputation is on the line every time he builds one.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/29 10:09:43 (permalink)
    Good post Loomis.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/29 11:59:24 (permalink)
    Thank you

I wanted to note however that getting a custom rod does not mean that you are exempt from blemishes, in fact, I have seen work that I almost feel second hand embarrassment for the person selling, and the person receiving the rod, but it's up to the consumer to do the research and find a rod builder that is within their criteria of expected outcome.  Pricing structure is also a big part of it, in about 98% of cases a custom rod should ALWAYS cost more than a factory one, selling rods for "give away" prices is a huge red flag and hurts everyone putting out work demanding a true custom price.  You wont find a Custom Sako rifle for the price of a Remington right?  Same with rods.   A B+ job to a rod builder is usually A+++ work from the consumer, some are just not keen on what to look for, they think they are getting a showpiece when in reality that is not the case.  Be informed, there are tons of good sources of information out there to dive into. Also be suspect of pictures that are deceiving or from a distance, a macro photo brings things to light and shows a builder who is both skilled and confident to do the job right.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/29 21:33:39 (permalink)
    Loomis, let me know if you can get Century blanks....

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/30 04:14:07 (permalink)
    Pm sent
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Custom rods 2011/08/31 18:13:26 (permalink)
    Hey Loomis, have you seen or worked with the new blanks from North Fork Composites?

I'd like to build a xen one of these days but they are out of my price range for now.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Custom rods 2011/09/01 08:25:23 (permalink)
    I personally have not made an NFC into a rod yet, just had a chance to cast board member TroutAbout's bass rod.  It was very nice.  I plan on making one someday though, probably one of the float rods.
    Jump to: