practice regimen

Author
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/12 20:42:46 (permalink)

practice regimen

Was wondering how much shooting other archers do before season starts. Ive been shooting 500-700 arrows a week for the last 3 months, this is more than usual, but Im trying to work into a 71 lb recurve. Ill probably hunt with a 57 lb string twanger this year. My normal routine consists of about 50 arrows a day year round. I shoot barebow and this larger number of arrows has sure helped my grouping, about 3-4 inch 5 arrow groups at 35 yards and touching arrows out to about 25. I know this isnt all that impressive for good wheelbow shooters but im shickled tittless to see how much difference all the extra practice makes

7 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: practice regimen 2011/08/15 14:58:03 (permalink)
    Lucky if I shoot 50 in two weeks. Flung some broadheads about week and half ago. Haven't shot since.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: practice regimen 2011/08/15 16:27:19 (permalink)
    I try and shoot often. Some days I'll shoot through paper just to see how consistent I can shoot after multiple shots. Also rainy days I like a shoot a few in the basement. I can only shoot 20 yards in it but it helps in keeping in practice.Hope to get a practice stand set up this week and start to practicing "threading the needle" with some tough challenging shots through the woods. Probably destroy a few shafts but it's the price you pay to be prepared, sharpen your skills, and build your confidence.
    bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: practice regimen 2011/08/16 14:41:51 (permalink)
    Never really counted but I've been shooting the recurve twice a day for about half an hour each time, probably more as the season gets closer only thing that'll cut into it is scouting time in Sept. do a light quick walkthrough on the regular spots but will be burning some shoe leather looking over new places, funny my regular spots are productive yet I really enjoy finding new honeyholes.Wow bluntman 71#s thats a lot of bow what make are you shooting, and good to hear from another trad. hunter, and good job on those groups best I can do is touching at 15 and in a 8 inch circle at 25, but I limit my shots to 20 and under with the curve. IMO the thrill of trad. is the up close and personal aspect of the hunt along with the simpleness of the equipment, good luck and let us hear how you make out.
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: practice regimen 2011/08/16 15:13:28 (permalink)
    I don't plan on hunting with the curve this year - haven't built enough confidence yet.
    Been shooting 2-300 per week all summer though. Getting better, but still have those fliers that are just unacceptable in the field.
    I seem to do a lot better 'stump shooting' than I do at the big circle target.
    No prob. hitting a beer can at 15 yds - but CAN'T keep 'em in the 10 ring on the big target.?
    Guess I need to learn to 'pick a spot' better.
    It doesn't bother me though - got the boy a little bear recurve & he practices with me. Tons of fun.
    He carried in a 'bull frog' (toad) the other day he shot outta his kiddie pool with a flu-flu....
    told his mom - 'we're havin' BULLFROG for supper!' The look on her face was priceless.
    post edited by Pork - 2011/08/16 15:14:36

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: practice regimen 2011/08/16 18:12:37 (permalink)
    Both of my bows are Black widow takedowns, the 57lb is an MA 2 graybark, and the 71 is an MA 2 in autumn Oak
    bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: practice regimen 2011/08/16 18:51:24 (permalink)
    Pork would've loved to have seen the look on your wifes face and have fun with the boy doing stuff like that together, that is what its all about just wait till he's old enough to hunt and wants a custom recurve,lol. Think confidence is a big part of the trad. game by that I guess I mean its a mental thing but I really respect you on waiting till you feel like your there before hunting, shows a real respect for the animal. Bluntman those are some sweet bows you got there I'm using a Martin hunter and love it but down the road got an itch for either a Fedora curve or a shrew longbow. And it might just be me but really enjoy practicing with my recurve seems more fun to me than when I shot a wheeled bow something about the flight of a feathered arrow at that speed does it for me.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    RE: practice regimen 2011/08/16 19:30:59 (permalink)
    I started with a recurve in 1971, bought a new Whitetail Hunter in 1976 for $ 55, used wheelbows for a few years, but went back to the stick and string and never looked back except for a few years using a crossbow while my shoulder healed. These past few months have been alot of fun watching my shooting improve and confidence rise. just shows to go ya that even after almost 40 years of shooting that you can always improve with lotsa practice. Just for shats and giggles, I took a few shots last nite from 50- 75 yards and actually hit a 12 x 12 foam target, would never ever loose an arrow at an animal at these ranges, but I just wanted to see what happened, and was pleasantly surprised
    post edited by bluntman - 2011/08/16 19:32:20
    Jump to: