Fishfinder question

Author
Gary Wiant
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/07 21:49:33 (permalink)

Fishfinder question

I'm looking for my fish fishfinder to put on my first boat and I'm not sure what is good, bad or ugly.

I'm looking to spend $600 or less, I don't think I need a gps since we will be fishing on smaller lakes and rivers (mostly Clarion), I have looked at the DSI and I'm not sure I will need that, I like the original echo screen opposed to the small white dot.

Color would be nice but if B/W I want a backlighted screen
I would like a 5" screen

I'm looking at either Humminbird or Lowrance

Thanks
Gary

13 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/08 00:55:02 (permalink)
    I'm using a HB 757 right now and only because I got a super deal. No problems with the bird. If I was going to buy another one for around $600 I would go with the Lowrance Elite-5 DSI. Probably has more than you want. You have to compare and see what fits your needs. The Elite-5 DSI can be purchased on eBay for $555.
    Gary Wiant
    New Angler
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/09 20:34:48 (permalink)
    do I need to spend more than 350? Do I need a Dual Freq sonar?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/10 01:28:58 (permalink)
    Well I think it all depends on how advanced you want to go. Here are a few key features that having a dual transducer beam provides.

•Better bottom and structure definition with the narrow beam.
    •Greater coverage for Fish Identification with the wide beam.
    •More knowledge about fish location - fish in narrow beam are shown as solid fish symbols, fish in wide beam are shown as hollow fish symbols.
    •Easy to understand coverage – total coverage for fish is equal to the depth, while bottom coverage is equal to 1/3 the depth (i.e. in 30´of water, you’re seeing an area 10’ wide).

I use a dual beam on my console and a single beam on the bow. The single beam will provide you with the needed info but if like me I'm always looking for more.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/10 08:41:38 (permalink)
    Just a thought on the GPS... when we fish bigger water it is nice for directional purposes, but doesn't sound like you'll want it for that,

but reasons you may still find it helpful...
    - marking specific obstacles to avoid or fish holding structures you have found and want to return to. An isolated log/stump in an otherwise featureless area may be hard to relocate.
    - navigation aid when the fog rolls in or you end up out after dark due to mechanical problems
    - marking the start and end of drifts/trolls so you can repeat a productive run, or avoid going over the same area again if it wasn't a good one.
    - marking the path of edges/old creek beds, you can place a line of 'dots' along it to allow you to quickly get back on it next time. And after you have marks for different areas (many allow you to label the individual marks or change symbols for them to differentiate what they are for) it will help you get a more thorough layout of an area to help you pick a 'spot on a spot' so to speak.
    - the mapping available on basic models for some bigger lakes or the ability to expand the basic mapping via map programs/chips is great. It may allow you to explore a few new waters with some basic info already at hand for the new lake. If you have a chance to take a trip/vacation to an area with a new lake the learning curve is drastically reduced.

So, basically, GPS isn't required, boaters and fisherman survived for generations without it and did just fine... but it can be a useful tool and even a safety feature. You are the one who knows best how you fish or want to fish and where you fish, so go from there. Good luck
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/10 10:15:00 (permalink)
    Don't think you can beat the Eagle FishElite 480 for price and features. I think it is being phased out at this point, but I bought mine about 7 or 8 years ago and if a unit can remain around that long unchanged and at the same price it tells you that it worked. You can find some really good prices if you look around. To get a sonar/GPS combo for around $300 is hard to beat...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/10 12:34:21 (permalink)
    I only fish the smaller inland lakes and the GPS handheld I use is invaluable.
    Wish the fish finder had one.
    You can mark specific structure (cribs,stumps, brush piles ) in the smaller lakes and be able to target the fish holding areas.

I went from the grey screen to color and it seems much easier to read with the color seperations.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/10 13:28:15 (permalink)
    I went with the 480 recommended by bulldog & am very happy with it. Hard to beat for the price - indeed.
    (just be sure you have a good connection to your battery or you could lose a little hair thinking you got a bad unit)
    don't ask how I know.
    The GPS is not a necessity, but once you have it you'll be glad you do. Sure does cut down on search time.
    And being able to retrace your path really keeps you on the fish once you find them.
    Good luck.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/10 17:38:45 (permalink)
    i got a humminbird 381i fishfinder gps combo.  it was under 400 the only down fall is it is black and white.  but the power is great and the seperation is good as well.  you can clearly define structure and you are able to mark way points and fish points.  with the fish points it has software that you can put on your pc. to put in the points what you were using water temp forcast and time of year.  so if you are fishing a body of water you can look and see what you used the previous year at that spot and how many fish you caught

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    Gary Wiant
    New Angler
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/15 22:08:50 (permalink)
    I like the Eagle except for the single sonar, the waters we will be fishing will be a lot shallower than Erie and with us mostly fishing Bass I think the dual Freq will help a lot

Kinda looking at the HB 778 or 788. I wish there was somewhere I could gp look at a bunch of fish finders to see them in person

Thanks
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/15 22:12:12 (permalink)
    I wish there was somewhere I could gp look at a bunch of fish finders to see them in person

West Marine

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/15 23:26:45 (permalink)
    Check out some of the models you are considering on you tube.
    Gary Wiant
    New Angler
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/21 20:30:22 (permalink)
    Thanks YouTube is a great Idea
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Fishfinder question 2011/08/23 10:19:27 (permalink)
    Now! if I only had a flag button!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Jump to: