Trout Beads

Author
justinl8688
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 330
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/22 20:07:06 (permalink)

Trout Beads

Has anyone every used them? I just bought 4 packs and hope to use them in some flies or jsut on a hook. I was just wondering how you use them? thanks

2005 Triton TR21X
225 Mercury Optimax

25 Replies Related Threads

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 20:21:34 (permalink)
    Not sure because I havent used them but i think you'd peg them  6 to 8 inches above the hook.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 21:06:41 (permalink)
    I use them at times.

They're like any other fly/lure.
    Sometimes they "get it", sometimes not

I don't peg mine.
    I simply thread the line thru and tie on a hook.
    If the hole is too large, or hook eye too small, you'll have to peg.
    (you don't want the bead on the hook bend)

..L.T.A.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 21:21:43 (permalink)
    Great way to catch pressured fish in clear water.  I've pegged them about 3-4" above the hook.  Fish will chase them.  No need for a bunch of weight, no need for any weight in slower water.  They'll come get them.  I don't use an indy with them.  Small hook will work, 16-18.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/11/22 21:22:57
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 21:30:06 (permalink)
    I had this in my favorites.

http://www.alaskasport.com/beadfishing.htm

justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 22:02:58 (permalink)
    Why peg them above the hook??

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 22:07:22 (permalink)
    I read the article smallhook... if a bead is pinned above the hook, how does it hook the fish? I suppose it would work...

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 22:24:21 (permalink)
    They hit the bead, you set the hook and normaly it will hook them on the outside of the mouth unless you keep the bead about 2" above the hook or closer.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 23:11:04 (permalink)
    I see .... what size hook would you recommend for 6mm beads?

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 23:38:16 (permalink)
    I always figured using beads you hooked the fish on the outside of the mouth like go-in said, similar to lining, unless you pin the bead close to the hook.  I've never used beads, I use "reel eggs" to make single eggs and have had good luck using them this year.

justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/22 23:43:23 (permalink)
    I bought these .. so i will experiment and report..
    [img][\img]

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 10:00:59 (permalink)
    Justinl8688,
          This is just for your information and is not an accusation;  BUT!  pinning the bead(s) way up the line and hooking the fish outside the mouth is considered "lining" by most and considered snagging by some.   The chances for snagging increase with the distance the bead is pinned above the hook.   I have used beads and was told by a fellow fisherman that it was considered snagging so I personally quit doing it.  There are some people who will put a bright fly on the bottom, and a bead about 6-10 inches up, and then wait till they are on opposite sides of a fishs' head and then jerk their line.  Definately lining or snagging.  There was a big discussion on this about a year ago and the general consensus was if the hook is outside the mouth it is a foul hook.
          Once again; this is just for your information.  You make up tour own mind.  BTW they definately do work, when I used them I usually tied mine on about 12" above a single egg of a contrasting color, and used them as an attractant.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 10:27:34 (permalink)
    indsguis, i'm glad you commented about "hooking on the outside of the mouth, intentionally!!! is snagging. i hope this doesn't get into "what's ethical or not" discussion. is it really fishing as long as you use a fishing rod to hook a fish, weather it's snagging or hooking them in the mouth.
     i suppose it's alright for a spin fishermen to put a piece of yarn 6" above his spinner. when a fish looks like it's going for the yarn, he can whip the spinner and grab the fish in the side of the mouth if he's liucky... is this legal??? what's the fish commission say? what's the difference in beading and yarn spinning snagging?

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 11:00:40 (permalink)
    The way I have used the beads before is to put them on my tippet and about 8" to a foot up the tippet I put on a very small split shot to keep the bead from sliding up beyond that point.  I then tie a small hook or fly on the end of the tippet.  The idea is the bead can slide on the tippet freely.  I can't say this works all that great.

pax vobiscum +
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 17:36:33 (permalink)
    As "I" see it...
    There's no reason to peg a bead if you're using it as a fly to catch fish.
    *unless* it's sliding down over the hook eye and on to the hook bend
    Then it limits hook ups because of the lack of hook gap the bead causes.

Personally, I prefer the bead right at the hook eye.

I think i recall reading here, that in Alaska they peg beads cause some fish gobble eggs voraciously, resulting in many gut hooked fish, thus  decreasing the odds of survival after release.
    A fish can swallow a bead that's pegged up a ways , get hooked on the outside of the mouth and be released with less damage than a gut hooked fish.

I recall the thread Indi mentioned.
    I think it foolish to call a fish "lined" or snagged, (in the illegal sense) if a steelie bites your offering and the hook ends up on the outside of the lip instead of inside.
    Same with large buggers.
    If you watch a steelie chase down and bite your bugger, set the hook and it happens to pierce the outside of the lip, that's a fair hooked fish to "me"

..L.T.A.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 18:31:38 (permalink)
    doubletaper,
        Just my opinion but I really think that we have to differentiate between the difference of "catching" and "sport fishing".  If you are after fish just to catch them; then a person could just use live bait, heavy line, and a stiff rod and be done with it.  I have a very good friend who can get steelies, and other trout, just about anytime he wants with a short spinning rod and a piece of nightcrawler.  When he wants to "catch fish" that's his go to rig.  Nothing wrong with that.  On the other hand there are people who try to increase the degree of difficulty and "sport" aspect of fishing by going to spinners, nymphs, and even dry flies.  These same people usually wind up going lighter and lighter with their gear to increase the skill involved in catching fish.  These people are also more likely to practice catch & release.
        So you have two schools of thought: Are you out to just catch fish, or are you trying to make a sport of it.  I don't know where the line cosses.  Personally,  if I want fish; I go with a noodle rod and skein, if I want to challenge myself I go with fly gear, and if I'm feeling like I really want to punish myself I'll use a bamboo rod and all antique gear except line and flies. (the last option, when used for steel, usually results in a sharp cracking noise and another weeks' work in my shop.  but it is about the ultimate test for me).  
        The most important thing, to me, is that all fish be taken fairly.  ie: hooked in the mouth with whatever lure a person is using.  Tail, and head and back hooking is just too wrong to justify in any manner.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/11/23 18:33:47

justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 20:46:16 (permalink)
    Ok well i was thinking about pinning the bead close to the hook like 3 inches.... or, I was going to go with a white bugger or flesh fly and let the bead float freely on the line.. to look like a bead head leech kinda thing. Or I could try to Glue the bead directly onto the hook.... idk I will find a use. If if is considered snagging... then i'll just use them in my fly tying. Streamers, egg patterns, etc.

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 20:55:11 (permalink)
    Justin,
    That's what I do.

I also use the bead with a small split shot above a nymph fly in NY. In NY you only allowed one hook per rod/line.
    I like the glow in the dark bead in early am/low light.
    Chris
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 21:15:27 (permalink)
    I fished alaska in late august & early sept. & once I found
    out how to fish beads it was great, the rainbows & dolly
    vardens & steelhead loved them. They peged the bead 2
    inches above the hook & the reason for this is the fish take
    the beads so hard that they will have the hook deep in their
    throat & you may kill them.  in alaska you can not kill rainbows
    or steelhead. with this style of rigging I hooked almost all of
    the fish in the lip, at first I fishsd them tight to the eye of the
    hook & was hooking fish to deep to remove the hooks. I think
    it is a great way to fish beads, just my 2cents hope it helps
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 22:52:03 (permalink)
    I know someone who has used them up in Alaska. He generally puts them on the hook instead of above the hook. In Alaska they are suppose to represent sockeye eggs and the salmon would inhale them. His clients were likely to catch a fish with this rig.
    post edited by steelheadman28 - 2007/11/23 22:53:20
    steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/23 23:39:06 (permalink)
    Probably beating a dead horse deader but here goes anyway. The shop I work at runs 1 or 2 trips to AK every year and beads go with every angler but just like this thread there are mixed feelings about them. They're nice in Ak because with the size and color range you can dial into every salmon run, not just sockeye eggs, in various stages of spawn as well as having attractor colors. When I was up 2 years ago I noticed no difference in hookup rate over a simple bead head glo bug, sorry there was just no difference. As far as rigging goes I know guides up there who will pin them as far as 1 1/2 feet from the hook and as close as right against the eye. Big difference. Well, it probably comes down to personal experience as much as conventional wisdom but in my experience the guys who pin them any further than 2-3" from the bead are the guys who have never seen a trophy wild rainbow hooked through the eye socket and it sucks. Thankfully I have never done this so I can still live with myself but on occasion you will catch a fish up there with half it's face gakked up from said evil rigging.

Beads are cheap and easy but I still can't figure out a reason to fish them instead of moe eggs which are pretty cheap and pretty easy to make and AFAIC just as effective. My dad and bros will not leave on a trip without the moe and it's funny because one of the consistently best "colors" are the semi-clear regular glue sticks that you can get just about anywhere.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/24 01:28:22 (permalink)
    genieman and indsguiz, your input definitely has me rethinking this whole bead thing and what fishermens objective is to "catch or sport fish". thanks for letting me see why fishermen might use such a tactics. i myself prefer not to use them and am still skeptical  only because of the intentions of catching the fish, truthfuly, outside the mouth.
    genieman, i do fish with buggers and also with dries and occasionally do hook a trout outside the mouth but still near it. i also consider this a fair hook up, the thing is i'm not trying to purposly hook outside the mouth. who am i to say what's fair or not. but, again, you two give me a better perspective... ~dt 

p.s. now when i read about all the fish people catch in one day or in a couple of hours, i'll consider some of the tactics used in taking these fish, such as "beading" and "lining" and won't feel a little depressed that i didn't catch as many since i don't use these tactics to help me.
     good fishing to all, and to the buck hunters, good luck.

it's not luck
    if success in constant

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

genieman77
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/24 09:48:26 (permalink)
    " the thing is i'm not trying to purposly hook outside the mouth."

I can dig it, DT
    I can dig an angler  not wanting to make it "too easy" also.
    and from my personal experience, a bead doesn't assure that any more than any other fly/lure on any given day.
    (in the Erie tribs, anyway..I have no experience in the Alaskan waters)

They say the evolution of an angler is;
    to catch a fish
    to catch LOTS of fish
    to catch the biggest fish
    to catch the most elusive fish.

personally, depending on my mood, I can be anyone of those

But honestly, if we "really" wanted the challenge...
    Why travel to Pa where there's a bazzilon fish comapared to everywhere else?

I fish both sides of the border.
    I'd suggest most of us flock to Pa cause it's "easy" to catch there on just about any junk compared to everywhere else.

We all enjoy the sport for one reason or another.
     I say what ever floats your boat
    It's all good
    (as long as it's legal)

..L.T.A

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/24 11:59:51 (permalink)
    We all enjoy the sport for one reason or another.
    I say what ever floats your boat
    It's all good
    (as long as it's legal)

amen to that. thank's for the evolution of an angler. i heard that before but couldn't remember it. how true it is!!!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

steelstalker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/24 14:16:03 (permalink)
    I tried to find this opinion/info in the thread and couldn't while skimming so if this is repeat info please disregard. Indisguiz touched on it I think it's the fact that when you tag a fish with a bead rig it's usually on the outside of the mouth and is considered to be lining or snagging. In a lot of the AK rainbow fisheries a hook in the outside of the mouth, which is where most of them end up, is considered to be better than a hook inside of the mouth by most of the guides I know from up there because it's easier on the fish. The hook is easier to get out, hardly ever makes the fish bleed, never gut hooks them when fished properly, which by AK regs is no more than two inches which is adequate and reasonable. If I ever catch a steelhead with a three inch wide mouth I will be very impressed. It's kind of a shame that it's a grey area in the Great Lakes fisheries because the practice really does reduce mortality but you know as soon as they made it legal there would be guys with 1/2" chartreuse beads pegged a foot an a half away from a #2 Owner Gorilla.

We've had this bead discussion before a few times I think. Usually it degrades into a war about who believes what is fair and foul so it's nice to see this thread maintain it's continuity. It would be nice if a few hundred anglers sent some comments into the PFBC asking them to consider adopting regs similar to AK regs which would allow anglers to peg a bead no more than 2" from a bare hook with a reasonable maximum hook size in the interest of reducing fish mortality.

I thought the last evolution of the angler was simply to fish.
    post edited by steelstalker - 2007/11/24 14:18:14
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout Beads 2007/11/24 20:31:28 (permalink)
    steelstalker,
          No, I believe the last iteration is to wish you could still go out.  Enjoy every moment you can get out and hopefully try to help others who are just starting.  My one goal is to see my son catch his first steelhead.  His technique is great but his success is 0.  Still keeps coming back tho, so maybe before I can't get out anymore.

Jump to: