Unexpected find

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5029
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/03 07:31:16 (permalink)

Unexpected find

The boy and I have been going to the creek by the house every evening to chase chubs with nets and catch crawdads and salamanders.
Last night we took the big minnow sein and worked a couple of the only holes left in the creek. So dry here the creek is going dry.
In one of the bigger holes we caught a wild Rainbow trout about 3 inches long. Couldn't beleive it. Beautiful little guy, par marks and all.
Nearest stocked water is Oil Creek 2 miles away and up stream from here the creek dries up late in the summer.

Sure wish the Brookies would come back, this used to be an awesome Brookie stream 40 years ago. But a few dry summers seemed to have wiped them out.
The neighbor boy has an 18" wild Brookie on the wall he caught under the bridge here by the house many years ago...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

15 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8537
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/03 11:13:01 (permalink)
    I can beleive that....many years back, I caught 4 wild bows far away from the stocked creek. This was in NY.
    Sometimes those wild brookies rebound by the same reason....moving upstream during high water.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/03 13:56:46 (permalink)
    I know a guy in ny who had a little spring trickle in his back yard; the beavers came one day and ponded it up on him. One day he was outside and noticed some little snaps on the surface. Sure enough he through a little dry fly on and caught a little brookie... point being; as sensitive as those little beauties are, you never know where they'll appear at any given time

Hey bing, im sure the boy got a kick out of that little bow; rainbows are my boys favorite...
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/08/03 13:59:07
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/03 14:56:50 (permalink)
    creek chubs kind of look like rainbow because both have pink sides.are you sure it was a trout.
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/03 15:31:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steeLpunishment

creek chubs kind of look like rainbow because both have pink sides.are you sure it was a trout.

there is no way to confuse a rainbow trout and a chub..... if u have a hard time determining the difference you shouldnt be fishing
    steeLpunishment
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 273
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/03 15:42:34 (permalink)
    iv only caught steelhead which are rainbow but the chubs look like them but i do know the diff.
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/03 22:30:52 (permalink)

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5029
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/04 07:49:53 (permalink)

Yes I am positive it was a baby trout. That is part of what I am trying to teach my son, identifying the different species of fish in the creek.

In the same scoop of the net there were Red sided Dace(which are mistaken for little trout), Black nosed Dace, common Creek Chubs, Suckers, Horned Dace, and even a couple sculpin.
    I was really suprised that the par marks were so evident on the little guy.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/04 16:31:10 (permalink)

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/04 17:16:02 (permalink)
    Thats cool bings...way to go on teaching the boy...He wont forget it...

Caught my first native brookies 2 weekends ago...amazing little fish...

Now to get this flyrod thing down...
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6389
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/04 17:22:00 (permalink)
    I am always amazed at how nature works. About 40 years ago a neighbor dammed up a very small spring on his property to provide a pond for his horses. This spring was about 2-3 feet wide and never more than 6" deep. And it was situated in a nice stand of trees, providing shade. After the pond was in for about 3 years we noticed the same thing; small trout feeding on surface insects. We had NEVER seen any signs of trout in that little spring before. But I will guess that the pond provided holding water for the spring run-off and it also had a 6" drain pipe in the bottom of it, so there was always a cooler steady flow of water in the stream. Some brookies prob came up from Spruce Creek and liked the new accommodations.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/04 18:29:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

I am always amazed at how nature works. About 40 years ago a neighbor dammed up a very small spring on his property to provide a pond for his horses. This spring was about 2-3 feet wide and never more than 6" deep. And it was situated in a nice stand of trees, providing shade. After the pond was in for about 3 years we noticed the same thing; small trout feeding on surface insects. We had NEVER seen any signs of trout in that little spring before. But I will guess that the pond provided holding water for the spring run-off and it also had a 6" drain pipe in the bottom of it, so there was always a cooler steady flow of water in the stream. Some brookies prob came up from Spruce Creek and liked the new accommodations.

Its nice to hear that other folks have seen the same thing. I actually have a spring fed trickle on aproperty of mine. I have always had intentions of digging it out and stocking some trout in it. Thisspring always has a flowand the source is on my property. Its really neat to watch this water boil out of the ground. Even in the coldest winters this little frog pond never freezes and also always has a flow in the driest summers. Maybe I should hold off stocking it to see if mother nature will take its course...

Btw; nice thread bing
    FlyFishingPenrod
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/04 22:52:57 (permalink)
    dime,

I would consider a legal sized strain of wild brooks...this is legal if of size correct?

some dace do look like bows, but I would say bingsbaits knows the difference ken.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/05 10:34:12 (permalink)

No reflection on you Steel as you're new to this site , but if Bings doesn't know the difference between a creek chub and a rainbow , we're all in trouble , lol !
      Good for you Bings teaching your son the different species in a strem and passing on your love and respect of the outdoors to him . The quality time you spend with him willl long be remembered and appreciated as he becomes a man , which as you know happens all too fast .
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/05 10:41:38 (permalink)
    I neglected to proof read and didn't notice  " stream " mispelled , sorry ! I didn't hit the key hard enough . Excellent diversity of fish species in your stream Bings ! I love places like that .
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4913
    RE: Unexpected find 2011/08/05 13:00:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fish5000

No reflection on you Steel as you're new to this site , but if Bings doesn't know the difference between a creek chub and a rainbow , we're all in trouble , lol !
    Good for you Bings teaching your son the different species in a strem and passing on your love and respect of the outdoors to him . The quality time you spend with him willl long be remembered and appreciated as he becomes a man , which as you know happens all too fast .

Bings, after all, is a member of the UFA.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: