Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2011/08/02 14:05:48 (permalink)

Land acess

Hey guys-(and gals)
   With the season fast approaching in the whole North East just a bit of past experience here on getting permission for bow hunting.
  Here in Urbania ( CT) we have tons of no hunting private properties. Dont even bother to ask permission to hunt is a general and appropriate feeling by most guys.
  I have had  some sucess in the past asking for permission to Just Bow Hunt on these properties. Was at first a bit surprised by this and still do not know the reasoning behind it as hunting deer is hunting deer but folks absolutely against gun hunting will occasionally let ya Bow Hunt.
  Be prepared for some disapointment but try it- got some of the best most productive bow hunting places by simply asking and quickly saying that I only want to use a bow. These are places that have not been hunted in years for the most part and have excellent populations of unspooked mature Deer.
  good luck---
  BTW-dont be afraid of very small places either- had a 15 acre permit in the heart of no hunting ground that was a real meat factory- after all your only hunting a small spot from a treed stand anyhow.

23 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Land access 2011/08/02 16:15:14 (permalink)
    I have more land to hunt then I can get to in a season. Key is don't wait till the season is soon approaching.
    Stop and see the landowner or farmer early in the year. Offer the help make hay or what ever you can do to help them out. Hunting private property is a privilege and property owners should be treated with respect. It's always nice to send a simple thank you from time to time even if your not successful on their land.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/02 16:31:43 (permalink)
    Absolutely spot on OA- Amazing how much a decent bottle of wine is appreciated at X Mass.
    Coupla hints with the Urbies though-
      Remember they are generally NOT hunters and are unfamiliar with our sport.      
          Dont EVER drag one out through their yard there will be a hissy fit.
      Often they do NOT want deer field dressed on thier property cause their doggies get at it.
       They NEVER want the neighbors to see ya coming and going.
          Mostly they dont even WANT to know if ya scored.
      Not our way of life but some kinda blend I guess.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/02 17:26:54
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/02 17:43:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: retired guy

Absolutely spot on OA- Amazing how much a decent bottle of wine is appreciated at X Mass.
    Coupla hints with the Urbies though-
    Remember they are generally NOT hunters and are unfamiliar with our sport.      
         Dont EVER drag one out through their yard there will be a hissy fit.
    Often they do NOT want deer field dressed on their property cause their doggies get at it.
      They NEVER want the neighbors to see ya coming and going.
          Mostly they don't even WANT to know if ya scored.
    Not our way of life but some kinda blend I guess.

Good advice and couldn't agree more. Keeping a low profile is best in some areas that don't support the sport of hunting.It's all up to the hunter, develop an attitude and probably have your small urban woodlot off limits next time out.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/02 21:26:07 (permalink)
         Sounds like you have been there too OA-we all Carp bout the Antis and non Hunters but we gotta learn to get by with some of their rules now and again or not get to hunt some prime spots.
           One other real important thing- Tree stands-be real careful to have the landowner somewhat involved with the style and placement of them- they know little if anything bout our way of life and some simple explanation and the asking of permission in regard to stands is probably gonna be necessary-   
           Your dealing with folks who will  faint if they dont know there is a stand on their land and walk by ya up there while taking puppy for a hike.
          Brings on another sticky point- they will walk by ya frequently just taking a hike with the dogs. They are not trying to mess ya up - they just dont know better- gotta grin and bear it. Have had them walk by and then 10 minutes later here comes Bambi- the deer in those places are used to it and usually unmolested-have seen  them stand and watch the doggie parade go by and then just keep coming down the trail.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/02 22:33:53 (permalink)
    I remember getting permission from a farmer one year and putting up several sets. Sitting in one of the sets at prime time and here come a kid on a dirt bike. He rides for a while and shuts the bike off. Takes a wizz 15 yards from my stand and never saw me. I figured it was the farmers kid and whistled till he spotted me. He apologized several times and said he wouldn't ride there anymore. I told it really didn't matter as I don't hunt the same set everyday. A week later I shot a buck from that stand. I also had times that people walked their dogs under my stand on property that I owned and told me that I shouldn't hunt there because it was unsafe for them. It takes all kinds to make this world go round. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and get over it.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/03 00:09:44 (permalink)
         I draw the line with those idiots who think the whole world has to be their way.
      Settin up a stand with a friend one day and a woman on horseback came riding by bout 30 yards away-probably knew the property owner who also had horses and rode that same trail often.
       She saw my  friend stopped the horse and told my friend he had
    BETTER NOT to shoot her whenever she came riding -Not even a friendly Hi just a snotty warning- her intent was clear and obvious, My friend tried to be nice and the nicer he was the snottier she got-
      Couldnt help myself- she hadnt even seen me bout 20 feet away from her and I shouted over to my friend something like- 'Hey remember  if ya see any 800 pound horses carryin a 300 pound woman DONT SHOOT'.
         Can live with the Antis but not the mouthy, domineering, haughty, snotty, Holier than thou, Hunters are all idiots  ones.
        I dont rain down anybodys back and wont allow them to do it to me.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/03 00:17:11
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Land access 2011/08/11 23:49:10 (permalink)
    RT, one thing I discovered out west is it's the life style. I think everyone (WELL ALMOST EVERYONE) on these boards will find a better life away from the politically correct horse sheet the the east is SO FILLED with. The amount of open land available and access makes you head spin. MILLIONS of acres-OPEN. And the people use it for what it's worth at a conservative level. They (on a whole)don't abuse it.

anti's are around, but ,they're minority here and they know their place. Out in the east, there is so much emotion and drama addressed to hunting and fishing. I believe it is a lost cause in the east and to the far west
    (The west coast).

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/12 12:00:00 (permalink)
        Glad to know that someone else sees it that way- my usual observations bout the Urban stuff get little response.
      When I was a young guy and Hunted PA a lot IT was 'out West" and fit your description very accurately.
         Suppose that in todays world ya gotta get your feet wet and cross the 'big muddy. 
       Was horse riding out in Arizona a few years ago and a guy told me that in his opinion anything East of the Miss. wasnt even America anymore.'
        Figured that was  a stretch but it makes ya think bout how things can change and creep up on ya so slowly ya dont even notice.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/12 12:01:51
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/15 16:14:27 (permalink)
    Cant say I agree with the out west thing. Many large ranches and such charge a fee to hunt their land. It seems to be a new wave. Private property being open for anyone who chooses is shrinking everywhere.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 08:20:09 (permalink)
    I agree OA have always heard much bout the pay to play out West. Did ya ever see a Texas Deer hunt on TV that was on public lands?
      Ted Barta did a whole show bout Elk hunting  public lands without having to pay Pvt landowners . In the show they had lots of problems even finding the access routes into the Public places.
    Was hearing bout it 'out there' long before it became prevalent in the East.
      That said I suppose if one lives there you would get  to know your way around after a while and those public areas  would get used.
      When I was much younger could go to N/W PA and just go hunting  most anywhere. Hear thats changed a lot. Was the same here in Ct back then too. The RULES keep changing and creeping up on us. Keeps gettin  harder and harder.
        Now ya gotta carry the Liscence for big game, the liscence for small game too, the "hunting school' certificate and written permission from the landowner, and a map to prove your still on the guys property where ya have permission. . Need a darned waterproof backpack.
      Poachers -of course- carry nothing and have little to fear with diminished L/E in game enforcement. Seeum out there where that aint supposed to be regularly.
    post edited by retired guy - 2011/08/18 11:30:15
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 14:53:31 (permalink)
    Well, to start with I feel many hunters see posted signs and keep driving looking for open land. In my experiences this is a bad move. Start your searching early, knock on doors and explain what you are looking to do as far as hunting. Most Pa landowners especially up north will grant permission as they like to know and control who is on their land. Explain and ask question about how they feel about controlling the deer herd. It's their deer not the PGC's. I think you will be surprised.

Out west their are many areas open for public hunting. Lets talk about the Gunnison National Forest. Now access is easily gained into the area and easily traveled in some areas right from an outfitters lodge. You can drive roads park and continue on foot. A self guided hunted considered by most. Large tracts of surrounding private property have been contracted by the same outfitters and offered as a guided hunt as the success rate is much higher due to the fact of less hunters and the remoteness of spike camps being miles back in. Both the landowner and the outfitter along with the wealthy hunter win hands down.Its the lower budget hunter who has to work his butt off to be successful when the odds aren't in his favor.

Things seem to heading that way here too. Many lease out there land to a certain number of guys and control and manage game as they see fit. A lease increase your odds of seeing more and bigger deer. Just like out west the hunter still has access to public land but in most cases travel is limited and success rate is usually lower.

Many hunters now days live a very busy life and will pay the $$$ for an opportunity the kill a nice animal. They don't have time to go and look for areas so a lease partnership is the way for many.

I'm very fortunate to have the privilege of hunting my own property, private property,leased probery and of course public property. Remember when hunting these place is a privilege not a right, and one must respect the owner in all cases.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 16:57:15 (permalink)
    Absolutely spot on OA.
      The more time goes on the more our sport is becoming a 'well off' mans hobby.    Have read lease opportunities quite often and have considered it often too. Perhaps if I were a bit younger I would consider it more diligently , for now I have just enough decent land to hunt.
      My sons on the other hand may not be so fortunate as time goes on. Look at how it has changed in our lifetime.  The 'wide open' days are gone forever.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 17:15:58 (permalink)
    Look at how it has changed in our lifetime. The 'wide open' days are gone forever

Yes some has but as I mentioned one has to prepare early and get off his but and seek new areas to hunt. It's still there but not handed out like Halloween candy years ago. I believe one of the reason for this is lack of respect and second is that LO's are disgusted with how game is managed through our wildlife agency.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 19:40:29 (permalink)
    I'm gonna be struggling to find some land to archery hunt this school year at CalU. I have a house up there this year and don't really know of any spots to hunt. I'm going to go around and tell them i will work on their land if they let me hunt there and see what happens. Even if they say no i'm always polite. Ed
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 20:09:21 (permalink)
    That's it, I wished that more had your approach. Let us know how you make out and Good Luck !
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 21:05:48 (permalink)
        Here in Urbania I have found that the majority of folks  I get permission from are non hunters and or corporations that own speculation properties. Thats why so much of my old stuff is now built on.
      In either case they dont give a hoot or even have any knowledge bout game numbers and laws.  Their biggest concerns are slobs and lawsuits.
        I think that the lawsuit part has cost thousands of guys properties to hunt on. Despite laws protecting landowners who give permission the vulture lawyers dont quit.
         ONE story bout some owner getting sued cause of some slobs actions cost BIG in  huntable lands. No landowner wants the BS.
        When a property gets tied up in court hunters are finished with folks who even hear about it.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/18 23:45:19 (permalink)
    CT has some strange laws no doubt. I believe it was against the law to let a youth participate in moto-cross a few years ago. CT considered it child abuse. I don't consider CT to be a hunter friendly state either. Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live or hunt there. No offense RG. Pennsyltucky is OK for right now, I think. LOL
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/19 00:59:15 (permalink)
       Its tough here OA and thats why I am always  warning guys to beware the Urbies and the antis. When you get to a certain population level the Outdorsman becomes some guy who wears the clothing  and occasionally actually lets his feet touch earth rather than pavement.
      They  like to think they are conservationists cause they disapprove of hunting  even though they have never actually seen any wild game.
      That said our Wildlife programs have greatly  increased the Deer herd and its a great place to hunt if you can find a spot to go. Our State Forests have nice numbers and are generally open.
         I remember when it was as open as PA was back when -  back then we had very few Deer- now they are in abundance.
    Kreamy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Land access 2011/08/20 09:16:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Eman89so

I'm gonna be struggling to find some land to archery hunt this school year at CalU. I have a house up there this year and don't really know of any spots to hunt. I'm going to go around and tell them i will work on their land if they let me hunt there and see what happens. Even if they say no i'm always polite. Ed

i have family less than ten minutes down the road..... let me know and i can show you a few spots sometimes and ill tell my uncle you are gonna be huntin during archery... some nice buck out there too
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/20 09:58:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kreamy

ORIGINAL: Eman89so

i have family less than ten minutes down the road..... let me know and i can show you a few spots sometimes and ill tell my uncle you are gonna be huntin during archery... some nice buck out there too

Kreamy, let me say that you sir is what what keeps us hunters united. Wish there where more like you . What you did was very kind and is what more need to do to keep our sport strong. Good man !
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/21 09:28:31 (permalink)
    Right on OA. Kreamy is a good dude, he even gives me fishing spots
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/21 14:53:43 (permalink)
    Hopefully in the near future guys such as yourself who work and go to school all week will also have the oppertunity to hunt Sundays. Archery on Sunday would be a good start. Land access would probaly not be much of a problem with bow only.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    RE: Land access 2011/08/21 20:25:10 (permalink)
    I would LOVE to see sunday hunting. Most of the older guys say they don't want it but for the kids in school it would be great!! Just too bad nobody cares about whats better for the next generations.. Ed
    Jump to: