Adirondacks and AuSable (NY)

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2011/07/25 10:22:56 (permalink)

Adirondacks and AuSable (NY)

I'm headed up to the Adirondacks early next month for a week of camping/kayaking/fishing/drinking...

I've been up there twice in the past for similar adventures, but not since I started fly fishing. On those occasions, I was fishing a 5' ultralight with rooster tails. The pond(s) we were in contained on occasional LMB, SMB, or large minnow/shiner type fish, but were for the most part dominated by perch.

My friends tell me the pond system we're headed to now (that they stayed in a few years ago) holds brookies, as well as some perch.

While I've caught a few brookies, it's never been in this type of water.

Anyone ever fish this area, and if so, how'd you do it?

I'm taking the menagerie with me, but I'll probably start out with my 9' 4wt, and streamers for both trout and perch. I've got a sinking leader, but may pick up a few more for the trip. Also considering taking my floater off the reel and spooling on a sink-tip.

Also, the group is taking one day to make a trip over to Lake Placid, to visit the training center, ski jumps, and kick around town. I've already seen it, so I plan to spend the day on the AuSable. any of yinz ever fished it before? Tips, suggestions, etc?

15 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 10:34:22 (permalink)
    minnows work good for Perch and Brookies, I like to fish them on a fly rod with 3 split shot and a fly reel spooled with mono or with a clear bubble attached to spin rod.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 10:38:45 (permalink)
    Hey cold, I don't have any experience pond fishing that region but I do have experience with the ausable. For the ausable I found small mosquitoes on the surface sizes 16-20 probably caught the majority of my fish there. Secondto that weresmall emergers in obvious colors with a single or double z-lon post going back on an angle. I would fish them straight lined down stream on ruffle edges behind the many spectacular boulders with deep pools and pockets behind them. In the stagnant water behind the boulders you can float the mosquitoes behind them and don't besurprised if you catch a trout or 2 behind everyone you see. There is one area where the entrance to the olympic skiing competions were.there is beautiful water downstream from that bridge. For anymore info, pm hot tuna. You can find him in the salmon river boards. He frequents that region and knows his sheet.... for me, its been years since I've beenthere.... he has a lot of pond experience ibelieve.

Ps; his info may not be free ;) but tell him dime sent you. Good luck
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 10:41:29 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, for the rod, a 9' 5 weight isprobably a little big for the river in some parts, I got by just fine with a 7'6" 4 weight...
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 11:07:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold
     I've already seen it, so I plan to spend the day on the AuSable. any of yinz ever fished it before? Tips, suggestions, etc?

AuSable= cold, wulff patterns are the norm. take a wading staff if the water is high or real choppy. not sure about any hatches than but i would imagine big stimulators will work also. there are a lot of pull offs along the river. pick a spot and go too it. there is a lot of activity up in lake placid area so be carefull of the joggers and bicyclists.

if you like fishing caddis try the Saranac River.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 11:26:44 (permalink)
    Loomis, I bet that works, but for the amount of fish I plan on catching, I'm not hauling that many minnies back in to the campsite.

dime, thanks for the info. I actually plan to try that area (below the ski jumps) first, as I'm slightly familiar with that area. It seems the be the unofficial upper limit of the 'prime water' from what I've read online, but many times, just beyond what's considered 'prime' is some of the best fishing.

I'll have any weight available from 1 to 4...also might take the 000 in case we're only getting small ones...and the 7 in case I find pike.

Thanks for chiming in, DT. I knew you'd been up that way before. You know I'll be packing stimmies from 10-16 in all different colors. Should have a box of hair for just this purpose arriving today. Reindeer, pronghorn, and a half dozen others. Just gotta see what I like best.
    post edited by Cold - 2011/07/25 11:28:12
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 11:58:36 (permalink)
    Hey cold, back in 1990 we asked fran betters what was hatching on the ausable while we were up in mid july. He replied quickly in saying that there are mosquito hatches all day and everyday on the ausable with a smile. He was right.. they are very easy to tie. I've made them from just two grizzly feathers with one stripped and wrapped from the back of the hook. I tail them with the stopped hairs and collar it with the other feather. Killer for that river. Foam beetles or green inch worms could be some good eye candy for the bigger ones
    post edited by dimebrite - 2011/07/25 12:27:47
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 12:30:50 (permalink)
    Do you know if his shop's still operating? Last I heard, his wife was running it, but IIRC, she was trying to sell everything off...could be wrong on that, though. If it's still open, I'd probably stop by.

I've seen mosquitoes tied with moose tail, white body with moose rib, and griz hackle and wings...yours sounds like less fuss and equally effective. With a coat of lacquer, probably more durable as well. I'd imagine a big griffiths gnat would serve well too.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 12:40:00 (permalink)
    Anything with peacock hearl usually works. For some reason small worked best for me on that river. By no means am I an expert at it though. I don't know about frans shop anymore. Goodluck
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 18:42:20 (permalink)
    Cold,
    Spent alot of time in the area when I was growing up as Mom and Pop would pack up the station wagon and we would go to Cranberry Lake (about an hour east of Placid on Rt. 3) to camp and fish. Dad would take me for a day to the Ausable and we'd fish the Wulff paterns like DT mentioned. One word of caution though - wading is tough on the Ausable and from what I remember - you gotta be extra careful as the stream bottom is filled with boulders and large rocks. Low light in the mornings and evenings can be extra hard because the water can be tea stained and it's hard to see the bottom without the sun shining directly on the water....... Be extra careful or ya might twist an ankle. Lots of fast riffle water there.

Not sure where your going exactly but the Oswegatchie River that feeds into Cranberry Lake at the little town of Wanakena is great for brookies. As my two sons were going through Scouting we took several canoe trips down the O - did alot of casting there. ......... Lots of good memories. If Cranberry Lake is indeed where your going - shoot me a message - over the years I've got to know the area quite well.

Nothing like hearing the call of a loon in the morning as your sipping that cup of java!!!  Have a great time and again - be extra careful on the Ausy.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6343
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/25 19:50:03 (permalink)
    Cold, it's been since the late 70's since I fished it but I'll 2d the mosquitos (up to size 14) and occasionally a small hopper pattern, or a big ant. Muddlers work very well but you've got to get them down; and strip retrieve in short bursts. It is COLD but if you're brave you can wet wade. Esp in the summer. But I still would recommend heavy boots and long pants because of the rocks. It's an excellent place for neos even. Be on the lookout for the late afternoon bikini hatch at picnic areas along the river.
    post edited by indsguiz - 2011/07/25 19:54:10

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2672
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/26 07:50:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

Loomis, I bet that works, but for the amount of fish I plan on catching, I'm not hauling that many minnies back in to the campsite.

Just don't forget your stringer, you will need that to put native brook trout on. If you want, I know a guy..
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/26 07:51:41 (permalink)
    I lived in Rome,NY for 3 yrs. and hit a few places...:)
    In the lakes and ponds look for the springs.
    You can see these as a circle in the weeds. The trout stack there in summer.
    Never used the fly but a 1/32 jig was the ticket.
    The perch are everywhere. Again used the jig for them.
    There are many wild brookies to be had also in some rather small un noticed brooks.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/26 08:08:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis
    Just don't forget your stringer, you will need that to put native brook trout on. If you want, I know a guy..

I just toss em in the bottom of the boat, dUUd. Let em flop around and dry out in the sun.

In the lakes and ponds look for the springs.
    You can see these as a circle in the weeds.

Like a circle of clear water in a weed bed?

I can definitely do some jig-type flies.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/26 08:48:04 (permalink)
    Ya Mark...you,ll see anywhere from 6 to 9' of clear, no weeds. Sometimes even smaller.
    This time of year the winged ants are everywhere on the water too.
    Watch out for ducks flying over head...they like to sqiurt you.lol
    Seems they fill up on ants.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Adirondacks and AuSable (NY) 2011/07/26 10:22:04 (permalink)
    lol, I'll keep an eye out...for the springs and the ducks.
    Jump to: